What Films Would Make a Good Double Bill?

Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
.I also can't help but think that Dr. Strangelove and Fail-Safe would make an interesting double bill. They share a very similar plot line, but with vastly different treatments of it.
They are a great double bill and I have watched them both in a single night just to compare them. they have a similar history also.

From the IMDB:

Columbia Pictures produced both this movie and Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Director Stanley Kubrick insisted his movie be released first, and it was, in January 1964. When Fail-Safe (1964) was released, it garnered excellent reviews, but audiences found it unintentionally funny because of "Strangelove", and stayed away. Henry Fonda later said he would never have made this movie if he had seen "Strangelove" first, because he would have laughed too.

Peter George wrote the novel Red Alert upon which Dr. Strange love was based and shared writing credits with Kubrick. He also worked on the script for Fail Safe but did not receive any screen credit.

Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler's later bestseller Fail-Safe so closely resembled Red Alert in its premise that George sued on the charge of plagiarism, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Both novels would inspire very different films that would both be released in 1964.

You could make a triple bill by throwing in Nevil Shute's On the Beach (1959) which is cited as an inspiration to both.

Parents (1989 - Bob Balaban)
Delicatessen (1991 - Caro & Jeunet)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Science Fiction
Double Feature
Dr. X
will build a creature
See androids fighting
Brad and Janet
Ann Francis stars in
Forbidden Planet
Oh-oh oh-oooooh
at the late night, double feature, picture show.

Bonnie & Clyde and Badlands would work nicely I think in a double bill.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That would make for a very interesting double feature. I like how the two movies start in generally the same place with a young girl being swept off her feet by some no-good drifter and how they split off in very different directions from there. One might even consider making it a triple feature and watch Natural Born Killers after those... or not.

I once saw these as a double feature I loved them

+

Schlockumentary-hysteria double bill:

Reefer Madness (1936)
An Inconvenient Truth (2006)

Wow, 70 years separates these films, yet they are identical in mood and atmosphere and plausibility.

Hallucinatory-paranoia-creepy triple feature:

Jacob's Ladder (1990)
The Machinist (2004)
Bug (2006)

Schlockumentary-hysteria double bill:

Reefer Madness (1936)
An Inconvenient Truth (2006)

Wow, 70 years separates these films, yet they are identical in mood and atmosphere and plausibility.

Hallucinatory-paranoia-creepy triple feature:

Jacob's Ladder (1990)
The Machinist (2004)
Bug (2006)
Nice to see you Karl

lol i guess no one got my little joke

oh well

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
and
Two powerful WWI films, one seen from the German perspective at the bottom and the other seen from the French perspective at the top. Combined, they both say that wars should not be allowed because all they do is kill off young men for nebulous political reasons which ultimately will always recur to haunt the world until war is finally destroyed forever.

and
Two saucy sex romps, both pre-Code and set in Europe, involving people who masquerade as others to get what they want. The first is almost the definition of "The Lubitsch Touch", the second is the best Lubitsch film which Lubitsch didn't make, and also the best musical made in the 1930s, at least until The Wizard of Oz.

and
A pair of glorious Bernard Shaw adaptations starring the lustrous Wendy Hiller. The wit and satire fly fast and furiously, but there's plenty of romance and even powerful drama buried within both.

and
Two of the most romantic films ever made, both shot in glorious color and crammed with visual and verbal wit. They both tell stories about whether true love can survive, not only on Earth, but Beyond the Grave.

and
Two Alistair MacLean novels are turned into spectacular, actioned-packed WWII adventure films with great casts and almost no expenses spared. These are textbook examples of old-fashioned, 1960s war movies which are incredibly-entertaining but also thought-provoking.

and
Two wonderful coming-of-age films, one set on the West Coast in the early '60s and the other set on the East Coast in the late '50s. Both films announced a terrific set of young actors and a pair of directors who were ready to hit the big time. Plus, both seem to be centered around the local diner and mostly seem to take place at night.

Aside from the obvious Miyazaki connection both films deal with with the negative effects of greed, gluttony, and industrialism in fantasic worlds that are sure to enthrall both the kids and adults equally. I wish someone had shown these movies to me when I was younger. Heck, I wish someone would show these movies to today's youth and less of that Hannah Montana Jonas Brothers garbage. Aww, well.

Those two arrived on my doorstep on the same day. I watched them back to back so, I can tell you, that they work really well as a double feature. I'd love to see Wild Zero on the big screen.

I was hoping to do this with the posters, but I can't find one so I'll just name the films.

I think that

Junk & Bio Zombie

would be an excellent grind double bill.