The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Care for some gopher?
Those are my movies that didn't make the list:

13. Brink of Life (Ingmar Bergman)
21. Rawhide (Henry Hathaway)
23. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Howard Hawks)

I hope my 25th movie makes the one-pointer list.

Unregistered User
I figured Fires on the Plain was a longshot to actually make the countdown (even with fifteen points from me), but I would have bet money Elevator to the Gallows showed up.

Which is why I don't bet money.

I had it at 13. Surprised that it didn't make it myself.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

1954, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
683 Points
40 Lists (1st,1st,1st,1st,1st,3rd,3rd,4th,4th,4th,4th,4th,4th,4th,4th,5th,5th,5th,6th,6th,7th,7th,8th,8th, 10th,10th,10th,10th,13th,13th,15th,16th,16th, 18th,18th,20th,21st,21st,23rd,24th)

1957, Directed by Sidney Lumet
719 Points
42 Lists (1st,1st,1st,1st,1st,1st,2nd,2nd,2nd,3rd,3rd,4th, 4th,5th,5th,6th,6th,6th,6th,6th,6th, 7th,7th,8th,8th,8th,9th,11th,11th,12th,14th, 14th,15th,15th,16th,16th,17th,17th,19th,19th,20th,22nd,24th)

Congrats to 12 Angry Men winning! I had it lower on my list but it's still a masterpiece. I had Rear Window at 4.

Does this mean we can see the one pointers now?

You did a great job Raul. Thanks

Wow. Can't believe it won. When this started I thought it would be 9th or something.

Obviously, it was my top film, but that's just a personal preference; I think Rear Window is generally more impressive in every measure other than "what do I enjoy watching and thinking about the most."

I see five people other than me had it as their #1: step forward and be counted!

Will we et a 1 point list of films that did not make the grade as it were or just an honorable mentions list.
Yes. I think someone has asked this every three pages since the thread started. And someone asked it just before you. ^

The better film won . In the months leading up to this i kept saying i thought 12 Angry Men would win because the Hitchcocks would split the vote then when the Countdown started i doubted myself and started saying a Hitch would win haha. I had it at #8 and didn't have Rear Window as it's one of my least favourite Hitchcocks so far.

Really great job Raul, one of my favourite countdowns

My list that i've already posted; seen 56 i believe:

01.The 400 Blows
02.Rashomon
03.North By Northwest
04.Night and Fog
05.The Bridge On The River Kwai
06.Vertigo
07.Tokyo Story
08.12 Angry Men
09.A Place In The Sun
10.Wild Strawberries
11.Seven Samurai
12.Sunset Boulevard
13.A Streetcar Named Desire
14.Witness For The Prosecution
15.An Affair To Remember
16.Dial M For Murder
17.Throne of Blood
18.Othello
19.From Here To Eternity
20.Pickpocket
21,The Diary of Anne Frank
22.Anatomy of a Murder
23.Invasion of the Body Snatchers
24.Singing In The Rain
25.Rabbit of Seville

12 Angry Men is a great film, timeless even though some of the specifics are dated. Seventeenth on my list, and Rear Window was sixteenth. I wouldn't call 12 Angry Men THE greatest film, but hey, the mob has spoken. I just wish in this voting process there had been a Juror Number Eight to have us walk through logically whether there was really enough evidence to convict this one as the top choice. But so be it.

Again, my full list...

1. Rashômon (#9)
2. North by Northwest (#5)
3. In A Lonely Place (#33)
4. Paths of Glory (#8)
5. Singin’ in the Rain (#10)
6. The Seventh Seal (#13)
7. The Bridge on the River Kwai (#7)
8. The 400 Blows (#17)
9. Ace in the Hole (#44)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#36)
11. Fires on the Plain (DNP)
12. Seven Samurai (#6)
13. The Killing (#52)
14. Harvey (#31)
15. Ikiru (#16)
16. Rear Window (#2)
17. 12 Angry Men (#1)
18. Pickup on South Street (#72)
19. Sunset Boulevard (#3)
20. Throne of Blood (#37)
21. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
22. Elevator to the Gallows (DNP)
23. Touch of Evil (#20)
24. La Strada (#41)
25. The Big Country (#66)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And there we have it folks!!

Be sure to tip your waitress, clean up your pop and popcorn containers as you leave and just wanna give a thanks to the academy. . .

And a VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO RAUL FOR A DAMN FINE JOB!!!!

List:
#1 Cyrano de Bergerac
#2 On the Waterfront (15)
#3 Bridge Over the River Kwai (7)
#4 Seven Samurai (6)
#5 A Christmas Carol
#6 Harvey (31)
#7 Stalag 17 (48)
#8 Hobson's Choice
#9 Sunset Boulevard (3)
#10 Some Like it Hot (11)
#11 12 Angry Men (1)
#12 Night of the Hunter (25)
#13 Streetcar Named Desire (19)
#14 Peter Pan (59)
#15 Alice in Wonderland (27)
#16 The Big Combo
#17 Auntie Mame
#18 Witness for the Prosecution (24)
#19 Around the World in Eighty Days
#20 The Barefoot Contessa
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#22 The Big Heat
#23 The Long Hot Summer
#24 The Killing (52)
#25 STILL CONTINUE to have fingers crossed for 1 pointer category
Watched: 51/100

Thanks for the support guys while I ran this. I took on something that was perhaps bigger than I could chew, what with a 48+ hour overnight job and a busy life and all. But I'm glad I did it for my one of my favorite film decades of all time. I sound like a broken record but it is EXTREMELY difficult to take these reigns with just an iPad and a phone instead of a real laptop or PC.

I'll have a few more posts coming down the road, so stay tuned.

Yeah, I didn't even realize until it was already going that he was doing all this on mobile devices. That's...insane. If I'd known I would've asked him if he was sure he wanted to do it like twenty times. But it turned out well and it makes me admire the dedication all the more.

12 Angry Men...won, for all of you who had it on your list, I have one question, was the kid accused of murder, innocent?

Rear Window, is Hitch at his best. Not on my list but happy to see it.

Great job Rauldc. Surprised by the outcome but I love both those films, so I really wasn't rooting either way. I will share my list later.

12 Angry Men...won, for all of you who had it on your list, I have one question, was the kid accused of murder, innocent?.
The beauty of the movie is not knowing. 12 Angry Men was decades ahead of all the true crime docs we see now.