Top cult movie

Tools    

this is a tricky one i need to say

1.fight club
il think more into it later........

The problem with this topic is always that "cult film" is too malleable a term. For me there's no way in Hell Fight Club, a movie made by a huge studio that had a large budget (over $60-million), got a huge release (opened on nearly 2,000 screens in the U.S.), with a known director and one of the biggest young movie stars of the day could ever, ever be considered a "cult" flick. It just isn't. That fact that it didn't make a hundred million bucks, get nominated for lots of high-profile Oscars (it did get one on the technical side, for sound effects editing) or likely to be something your Grandma would enjoy, that isn't enough to make it a "cult" film, is it? I definitely don't think so.

Generally for me, a cult film has to be something that was never part of the mainstream during its initial releases, by in large ignored or panned critically, and remains fairly anonoymous for a signifigant period of time. The cult reputation is one that has to build by word of mouth pretty much (or in this day and age, word of internet), secretly entering into the pop culture via a hipness that a relatively few rabid fans discover. A good rule of thumb: if sitcoms, comic strips and stand-ups are referencing the movie almost right away, it ain't no cult movie.

As far as subject mater, they're usually genre entries of some kind, and too dark or weird for mainstream consumption. But that doesn't automatically make every horror or sci-fi flick without a happy ending a cult movie. At least, I don't think it should.

Another good rule of thumb for me is, would an average Blockbuster stock it on their shelves? That doesn't always hold true, but it's a good guidepost anyway. Certainly when they have six to twenty copies of a title, that should tell you it isn't quite as cult as you may think.

The prototypical cult film will always be The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). There were other cult movies before it, but Rocky Horror was the first phenomenon, and the first to make an industry of it. It has become the real gold standard by which to judge all other pretenders to the throne. Of course at this point after being held up as the cult film for so long, it's hardly a cult film itself anymore. But it certainly was.

People throw "cult film" around pretty liberally, including everything from A Clockwork Orange to Apocalypse Now to Blue Velvet to The Big Lebowski to The Road Warrior to Being John Malkovich to Pulp Fiction. I don't see how any one of those could be regarded as cult movies. Fight Club? Really?

But yes, it is a malleable term. If one regards Taxi Driver and The Matrix as cult flicks, there's no sanctioning board in existence to stop them from doing so (but rest assured, I'M working on it).

Some of my favorite cult flicks from the past few decades that still have a good undergound rep without much mainstreaming are A Boy & His Dog (1975), Gummo (1997), The Dark Backward (1991), Blood & Concrete: a love story (1991), Parents (1989), Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995), Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), Lawn Dogs (1997), The Music of Chance (1993), My Name is Nobody (1974), Six-String Samurai (1998), Fresh (1994), La Cucaracha (1998) and Freeway (1996).

Even some of those I just listed above, they're treading the slippery line between cult flicks and simply being underrated, it's an impossible term to define. I know personal definitions vary, so fire away! Being pedantic is simply my want, sorry.

OK, so I'm not sorry.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

u have a very good point.

in my book a cult film is basically what u say it is urself, but the part about big budgets and big stars directors etc i dont agree with.

Cult is considered to be a movie which did not do well in cinema but recieves great response via word of mouth. good examples being shawshank, and the usual suspects both films that became popular because they were outstanding movies which no one really heard of until one firend told another friend and so on.

Fight club has achieved cult status in my book because of the whole anti social aspect of it all and the same goes with american physco. And if u ask someone who knows nuthing about films the question: u seen shawshand/fightclub/usual, they will always say " bloody great films"

Originally posted by rocklarky
Fight club has achieved cult status in my book because of the whole anti social aspect of it all
so your saying an anti-social film, makes it a cult status film?

What do you mean nobody "really heard of"?

The Usual Suspect won Kevin Spacey an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and also got the trophy for Best Original Screenplay, it was named Best Picture at the British Academy Awards, and it became as instant parody subject and reference point in pop culture. How can that be a cult film? Because it didn't make a hudred million and the kids in your school didn't see it until it was on video? It was an instant art-house hit, an audience favorite, an extremely well-reviewed movie, a multiple award winner and it made dozens of critic's top ten lists at year's end. Because you and your circle of friends may have come to it after all that when it finally made it to video or cable TV, it doesn't make it a cult film. The term "cult" also has to be broader than your immediate group, donthyathink?

The Shawshank Redemption was an even bigger mainstream success - though far from a box office hit, landing seven Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, and again becoming an almost instant pop culture touchstone. Hell, man, even Kathy Lee Gifford thought it was the best movie of the year and should have won the Oscar - no *****. Is THAT a cult film to you???

Again, use your own definition as you see fit, but personally that doesn't come anywhere close to mine.

"Nobody really heard of" makes little sense when describing those flicks. But if you define a cult film, in part, as a film whose success stems almost wholly from word-of-mouth with very, very little marketing, I think they might fit the bill.

My definition would vary slightly, but not greatly. Success through word-of-mouth, rather than raw cash dedicated to a vast marketing scheme, is something all good cult films share in common.

Rocky Horror
The Crow
Highlander

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I dont know how popular this film is in other countries but in England I would class it as a cult film, Leon aka The Professional

The Crow..............

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

My favorite cult film would have to be:

Brazil

Honorable mentions:

Naked Lunch
Drugstore Cowboy
Eraserhead
A Boy and His Dog
City of Lost Children
FLash Gordon

It is hard to define cult status for a film. I guess if only 1 in 20 people have ever heard of it and loved it if they have, then that would be close enough.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I See You When You're Sleeping

Eraserhead

The Dark Crystal

Labyrinth

Evil Dead

Brain Dead

Bad Taste

hmmm. This list could go on forever. This is going on the fact that when I mention these movies to people they either haven't heard of it or hate it so much that a needle inserted into the pupil is more preferable to a second viewing.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
»Crumb
»Barbarella
»They Live
»The Crow
»Big Wednesday
»The Jericho Mile
»The Wanderers

Pink Flamingos
Polyester
The Return of the Living Dead
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity

The Return of the Living Dead
This is a superb movie. I love the bit where the zombie gets on the phone after devouring the paramedics brains to say " Send more Paramedics ", classic.

minion mentioned BAD TASTE...aaahhhaaaa...i had forgotten about that...what a great flick (beware though, its not for everyone)

i'd like to add Run Lola Run - you guys in the U.S. know of it, or did it just become an underground classic here in Sydney??
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lola.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	612