What Are You Watching For Christmas 2022?

Tools    

Christmas is one of the greatest moments of any year and one of the most coveted parts of it is watching the movies to get the spirit. I usually watch the Rankin Bass specials(Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, etc), Charlie Brown Christmas, and occasionally ones like Elf and White Christmas. I will try to watch Meet Me In St Louis and Holiday Inn. I do not have any interest in Mr. Lawrence(sorry Bowie) probably because it seems like a military movie. Then Tim Burton has to make a fusion of Halloween and Christmas. I got to think about things.

I'll be watching a few Christmas movies, mostly classics. So far this month I've only seen: A Christmas Story, Christmas (2022)

This is my Christmas Watch List:
(from the internet)
The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch 1940)
Starring: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, and Frank Morgan.
A great love story revolving around the holiday season.

Holiday Inn (Mark Sandrich 1942)
Starring Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Marjorie Reynolds.
A musical comedy about musicians preparing for a Christmas show at a lodge that’s only open on holidays.

I’ll Be Seeing You (William Dieterle &George Cukor 1944)
Starring Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten, and Shirley Temple.
A kindhearted soldier who suffers from battle fatigue is released from a mental hospital for the Christmas holidays. He meets a female convict on furlough from prison to visit her family. Their mutual loneliness blossoms into a sweet romance. Both lovers long for a normal life together, but they wonder if that is possible once their secrets are known.

Christmas in Connecticut
(Peter Godfrey 1945)
Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, and Sydney Greenstreet.
A food magazine writer who’s significantly misrepresented her cooking skills suddenly has to pull off a fabulous traditional Christmas dinner.

It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra 1946)
James Stewart, Donna Reed, and Lionel Barrymore.
An angel shows a businessman what the world would have been like without him.

Miracle on 34th Street (George Seaton 1947)
Starring Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara, and John Payne.
A heart warming story about the defense of a alleged mental ill man claiming to be Santa Claus.

The Bishop’s Wife
(Henry Koster 1947)
Starring Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven.
An angel comes along in human form to help a bishop get his life in order and build a new cathedral during the holiday season.

Holiday Affair (Don Hartman 1949)
Starring Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, and Wendell Corey.
An unlikely Christmastime romance between a stubborn department store clerk and the young widow woman who cost him his job.

The Great Rupert (Irving Pichel 1950)
Starring Jimmy Durante, Terry Moore, and Tom Drake.
A charming comedy featuring an animated dancing squirrel who inadvertently helps out two families one that lives in near poverty.

A Christmas Carol (Brian Desmond Hurst 1951)
Starring Alastair Sim, Jack Warner, and Kathleen Harrison.
The most famous of the many Charles Dickens Christmas classic movies.

Susan Slept Here (Frank Tashlin 1954)
Starring Dick Powell, Debbie Reynolds, and Anne Francis.
The comedic tale of a struggling scriptwriter’s unexpected Christmas present, a juvenile delinquent named Susan.

White Christmas
(Michael Curtiz 1954)
Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney.
Music, comedy, and romance come together in the Christmastime tale that involves saving a failing inn in Vermont.

We’re No Angels (Michael Curtiz 1955)
Starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray.
A Christmas comedy about the helpful holiday hijinx of three escaped good natured convicts.

Beyond Tomorrow (A. Edward Sutherland 1940)
Starring Harry Carey, Charles Winninger and C. Aubrey Smith
A trio of matchmaking ghosts help a pair of young romantics fall in love.

Remember The Night (Mitchell Leisen 1940)
Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Beulah Bondi.
A romantic comedy centers on a young woman and an assistant district attorney. When the woman is arrested for shoplifting at Christmas time, the attorney assigned to her case moves to postpone the trial. During the holiday break, the woman and the attorney fall in love.

Christmas Holiday (Robert Siodmak 1944)
Starring Deanna Durbin and Gene Kelly.
Loosely based on a novel by W. Somerset Maugham.The story centers on a cabaret singer in World War II New Orleans who starts a conversation with a soldier stranded during the holidays. Through a series of flashbacks, the woman recounts her tragic story of marriage to a murderous scoundrel.

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Roy Del Ruth 1947)
Starring Don DeFore, Ann Harding, Charles Ruggles, Victor Moore and Gale Storm.
The story centers on a homeless man and his friends, who secretly take up residence in a Fifth Avenue townhouse while the owners spend their Christmas in the South.

I've been watching a lot of Christmas movies since October 22nd. I've watched Scrooge (1970), Scrooge (2022), all 3 Black Christmas films, A Christmas Story Christmas (2022), Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus, all 3 The Santa Clause movies, and a bunch of Hallmark Christmas movies. Before Christmas, I plan to watch Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and a few different versions of A Christmas Carol.

Did you watch them with your wife or did you like them due to their predictable-ness?
I don't actually have a wife. I just enjoy them because they are charming, cute and entertaining. I have bought several of them on dvd. Here is my Hallmark dvd collection:

https://letterboxd.com/steveallaby/l...rk-collection/

I don't actually have a wife. I just enjoy them because they are charming, cute and entertaining. I have bought several of them on dvd. Here is my Hallmark dvd collection:

https://letterboxd.com/steveallaby/l...rk-collection/
Mom is that you?

Yes, dear. Now behave yourself and go clean your room and eat your veggies. Don't spend too much time on the interwebs talking to strangers.

Die Hard

Eyes Wide Shut

Gremlins

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Mean Girls

Batman Returns

Go

Trading Places

Silent Night Deadly Night

[quote=Citizen Rules;2351717]I'll be watching a few Christmas movies, mostly classics. So far this month I've only seen: A Christmas Story, Christmas (2022)

This is my Christmas Watch List:
(from the internet)
The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch 1940)
Starring: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, and Frank Morgan.
A great love story revolving around the holiday season.

Holiday Inn (Mark Sandrich 1942)
Starring Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Marjorie Reynolds.
A musical comedy about musicians preparing for a Christmas show at a lodge that’s only open on holidays.

I’ll Be Seeing You (William Dieterle &George Cukor 1944)
Starring Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten, and Shirley Temple.
A kindhearted soldier who suffers from battle fatigue is released from a mental hospital for the Christmas holidays. He meets a female convict on furlough from prison to visit her family. Their mutual loneliness blossoms into a sweet romance. Both lovers long for a normal life together, but they wonder if that is possible once their secrets are known.

Christmas in Connecticut
(Peter Godfrey 1945)
Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, and Sydney Greenstreet.
A food magazine writer who’s significantly misrepresented her cooking skills suddenly has to pull off a fabulous traditional Christmas dinner.

Miracle on 34th Street (George Seaton 1947)
Starring Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara, and John Payne.
A heart warming story about the defense of a alleged mental ill man claiming to be Santa Claus.

A Christmas Carol (Brian Desmond Hurst 1951)
Starring Alastair Sim, Jack Warner, and Kathleen Harrison.
The most famous of the many Charles Dickens Christmas classic movies.

White Christmas
(Michael Curtiz 1954)
Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney.
Music, comedy, and romance come together in the Christmastime tale that involves saving a failing inn in Vermont.

Really enjoyed A Christmas Story Christmas and these other movies that I've specified. Didn't really care for Susan Slept Here and haven't seen any of the other films you mentioned.

...Really enjoyed A Christmas Story Christmas and these other movies that I've specified. Didn't really care for Susan Slept Here and haven't seen any of the other films you mentioned.
I thought A Christmas Story Christmas was better than I hoped for, it was fun and great to see so many of the original cast. I didn't love it but would still give it a positive review.

Susan Slept Here
is just plain odd! You have Dick Powell in his last movie at 50 years old having a romance with a very young Debbie Reynolds who's playing a teenage runaway girl. Now that oddness is the best part because they wouldn't be making a movie like these days. Still not a well made movie but interesting.

I thought A Christmas Story Christmas was better than I hoped for, it was fun and great to see so many of the original cast. I didn't love it but would still give it a positive review.

Susan Slept Here
is just plain odd! You have Dick Powell in his last movie at 50 years old having a romance with a very young Debbie Reynolds who's playing a teenage runaway girl. Now that oddness is the best part because they wouldn't be making a movie like these days. Still not a well made movie but interesting.

That was my main problem with the film too. Powell was WAY too old for Reynolds and they had ZERO chemistry.

Victim of The Night
A Star In The Night
The Shop Around The Corner
The Bishop's Wife
Christmas In Connecticut
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
(OG, not that unwatchable Howard/Carrey trash)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Scrooged

I'll keep an option on:
Holiday Inn
White Christmas
Miracle On 34th Street
(1947, of course)
Already watched:
The Year Without A Santa Claus

Victim of The Night
Die Hard

Eyes Wide Shut

Gremlins

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Mean Girls

Batman Returns

Go

Trading Places

Silent Night Deadly Night
What, no Black Christmas?

Waiting for the appearance of the black shroud of Christmas Future in Scrooge is one of the only lasting traditions from my childhood.

Black Christmas became one for awhile in later years, but I've completely forgotten to watch the last couple of years. Embarrassingly, the last time I watched it, I realized I had never actually paid attention to the end and so had been wrong about who the killer was for....35 years.and probably twenty viewings.

Yes, I'm very dumb. But a special brand of Christmas dumb.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I never really watch Christmas movies on Christmas.

I usually watch Christmas movies in the summer.

THUG LIFE!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.