Ryan O’Neal 1941-2023

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Yeah, I wasn’t a big fan of his, either. Didn’t like Love Story. Why’s Up, Doc? Was ok.
Paper Moon is great, and he isn’t bad in it.

I've never seen Love Story. I know it's probably not for me, but you never know. I'm a big softy at heart. Maybe I'd love seeing Ali MacGraw die of cancer and leave Ryan O'Neal sobbing in a hospital (I don't know, I've never seen it, I assume this happens)

Life is tragic.

Ryan O'Neal is underrated.

RIP

Yeah, I wasn’t a big fan of his, either. Didn’t like Love Story. Why’s Up, Doc? Was ok.
Paper Moon is great, and he isn’t bad in it.

No, I'm a fan. He's great at playing phonies, and he does it twice brilliantly with Paper Moon and Barry Lyndon.

I think he's awful in What's Up Doc, but still in a way that I want to watch.

That is already better than most people.

The trick is not minding
No, I'm a fan. He's great at playing phonies, and he does it twice brilliantly with Paper Moon and Barry Lyndon.

I think he's awful in What's Up Doc, but still in a way that I want to watch.

That is already better than most people.
I forgot about Barry Lyndon! Thanks for the reminder!
Wasn’t a great actor, with little range to be honest. Not a big fan, but he’s decent in those two.

I forgot about Barry Lyndon! Thanks for the reminder!
Wasn’t a great actor, with little range to be honest. Not a big fan, but he’s decent in those two.

The important question to ask is, would you want Barry Lyndon to be played by a good actor?

RIP

I know he isn't that popular, but I generally don't pay attention to acting, so I thought he was fine in the 2 or 3 films I've seen him in. Both Barry Lyndon and Paper Moon are great, btw.

I believe that I am allowed to say (checks notes...) his death is a horrible tragedy, and we should show consideration for one of the biggest stars of the 1970s.

Like all actors Ryan O'Neal had his niche roles and was good at them. Not the greatest actor but he came across as likeable and a little clueless. Which isn't a bad thing as it made him more relatable, more accessible. I liked him on screen in Paper Moon, Barry Lyndon and What's Up Doc. Not seen Love Story.

The trick is not minding
Because sometimes an actor's limitations make them perfect for a role.

Like Ryan O'Neal's inability to act.
In this case it worked out.but I happen to think it was more the script was perfect for his acting limitations.

Geez, I'm sorry to hear this.

I think O'Neal was great in What's Up, Doc? and Paper Moon. In fact I'd put What's Up, Doc? as one of the greatest screwball comedies of all time. No one could have done those roles better, which one might say about any of the several roles he was well cast in.

This is an interesting quote from O'Neal found in Wikipedia, which indicates he knew where he stood:

O'Neal said too many of the roles he had played were "off the beaten path for me". In particular he regretted doing The Thief Who Came to Dinner, A Bridge Too Far, The Driver, So Fine, Partners and Green Ice. He blamed this in part on having to pay alimony and child support. He also said agent Sue Mengers encouraged him to constantly work. "If I could get a good director to choose me for a picture, I was okay", he said. "But they stopped calling me in the mid-70s... I made a whole bunch of pictures that didn't make any money and people lost interest in me... Directors take me reluctantly. I feel I'm lucky to be here in the first place and they know it too. I'm a glamour boy, a Hollywood product. I have a TV background and they can point to the silly movies I've made."

I've only seen him in Barry Lyndon and Love Story, so I can't speak a lot about his work. Still, those are two really iconic films to have on your resume. RIP.

RIP Mr. O'Neal.

Makes me wonder what people will be saying when Keanu Reeves dies.