The MoFo Top 100 of the Eighties

→ in
Tools    

Seriously? A picture from a Spike Lee movie in your introduction? That's not '80s. The others weren't that great, either. Only thing I liked was that 9 because it had Emilio Estevez in it. And the Yoda/Luke Skywalker picture.
So it begins! Took longer than I expected.

Yeah, it was interesting seeing all the people in here who had posted and my name wasn't even on the list. That will change.

Well, there's a lot, and I should probably make a full list, but off the top of my head -- there better be horror films. The '80s were all about the slasher films and the really great horror monsters like Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, etc. There better not be any Asian monsters in this or I'm gonna bring down the house.

I remember Godzilla '85 and it wouldn't bother me if it made the list, but it WOULD if that was the only horror film that made it.

Maybe I'll make my '80s Countdown thread -- my version of it -- to give you an idea of what I would hope to see. I was gonna do that weeks ago.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Do 100.

Let the night air cool you off
I hope the third Nightmare on Elm Street makes the bottom half of the list. I should vote for it, if only for strategic reasons, but I can't justify it being in the top 25. Still though, somebody else put it really high in their list....Sexy, I'm looking at you.

so this one is goofy/cheesy and prolly won't make the countdown, but i thought it was groovy and definitely vintage 80's

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada!

I'm going into this one with total disappointment already. The Millenium list was really good, I thought -- I had 15 movies from my list make it. THE HELP, for crying out loud, even made the list. The only one that didn't was Brothers, but it was DAMN CLOSE, and it's all my fault that it made the list, but it has turned me into a superhero to Miss Vicky, so I guess there's that.

So, the '90s list was a rude awakening. It was cholera. It was the Black Plague. It was the end of innocence. Now I've been disillusioned and destroyed. I see only darkness ahead. Illuminated only by the white faces of geisha girls. I am expecting more pain, more tragedy, more corruption, more disfigurement, more abominations and less abdominals.

I only hope that there's hope. That there's a window of light. An end to this tunnel where the train ran over me. It's like the final act of a three part trilogy. The first part was fun and joyous and carefree. The second part was a nightmare -- the worst it could get.

Part three -- the '80s -- well... that will be the resolution.

We shall see how it all turns out.

I say stick to 100 - the 80s were way better than the 90s or 00s anyways, IMO.
I prefer a 100 to it's a good thing to see movies we don't know about that gives us suggestions !
I'd prefer 100 films as well. The rest are all 100 films, so this should be too.
Stick to 100 because if we do 50, there's less scope for shock inclusion. Also, having 100 fosters more discussion and in all, makes the list grander in scale.
I'm hopping on the 100 bandwagon
Looks like the people have spoken. 100 it is.

Don't include Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Valley Girl, though. I tried watching those recently and couldn't get into them. They're '80s, but they disappoint me.

Fast Times is a great movie. I need to rewatch it but I'll probably vote for it even if I don't.
You're trying to piss me off.

I would love to see this make it.

Earth Girls are Easy (1988)

With Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans.

I discovered this movie ten years ago and still think it holds up today and is fabulous.

Any of you disappointed by the lack of Independence Day and Jeff Goldblum in the '90s list, give Earth Girls Are Easy a watch and a vote. You won't be disappointed. This is the right alien movie to root for.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	earth-girls-are-easy.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	11226  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Definitely 100. The first half of the 90s list was by far the most entertaining, in terms of the thread and for seeing those movies appear that weren't the usual suspects. Trying to guess the relative positions of the top six movies when everyone knew what they would be was the boring part.

Glad we've got a bit of time to get our lists in order, narrowing it down to 25 is always the tricky part.

Before I compile anything, can I please vote for The Decalogue as one film?
It's technically a TV series, but I hear the whole thing referred to as a film quite a lot. I would be inclined towards making an exception, but I'm not too familiar with it, so would someone who is mind pitching in to help make a decision here?