Disney buys LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015

Tools    

Anyone know why Abrams is leaving Star Wars?
I don't think he's "leaving." I think they want different people working on these installments because they are trying to release one per year with episodes 7, 8, and 9 being released every other year. I don't think he could be doing pre-production on 8 while finishing up 7.

Well you know the first order of business, or it should be, is bringing back Boba Fett !!

They need to do something never done before in the Star Wars franchise - a flashback. I dont care if they show him cutting his way out of that Dune worm or just using his rocket pack to blast out its side covered in gore, Fett must return !

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I don't think he's "leaving." I think they want different people working on these installments because they are trying to release one per year with episodes 7, 8, and 9 being released every other year. I don't think he could be doing pre-production on 8 while finishing up 7.

But the same is going to apply to Rian Johnston working on the last 2 installments.

He's not directing 8 and 9... just 8.
True, Rian Johnson is just writing the treatment for Episode IX.

Anyone know why Abrams is leaving Star Wars?
I tried to find out. Maybe he only planned on doing one Star Wars film. So as for Episode VIII or IX he isn't involved.

Abrams will probably be busy with Star Trek 4... he's Producing Star Trek 3 because he's busy directing Star Wars 7... so maybe he'll be chopping and changing the director's seat between Trek and Wars.

So, this flurry of director news has me suddenly feeling upbeat about this thing. I know, I know, bad idea, but I can't help myself!

Firstly, I like the idea of Star Wars becoming a franchise like Alien or Mission Impossible where a different director is working on each film so we get a distinct point of view for each installment. I think that can be a lot of fun and true to the original trilogy.

Second, I love the choices they are making. Disney could have gone the Marvel universe route and gotten a bunch of "safe" directors for these films and made it all feel like an extended TV episode. Nothing against the Marvel films, but, for the most part, the people behind the cameras on those films aren't bringing anything dynamic to the style of those films. They're so tame they could have all been made by the same person.

The people they are getting to make the Star Wars films aren't exactly auteurs (mostly because they just don't have massive bodies of work at this point), but they are filmmakers that understand style and substance. I can't imagine the Star Wars films going forward all having the same boring, indistinct look like the Marvel films.