charecters "breaking" into songs in a movie good ones and bad

Tools    

i just love it when charecters somtimes start singing in movies... it realy gets me going.. and it helps me "connect" to a movie...
but some times they realy f*ck it up..... like in LOTR ROTK when pippen starts singing to the king.... or aragon..... i thought that was lame...
but a good sing along can realy help a flic....

my favorits :
Animal House : the "shout" part was the best.. i kept rewinding it.

Armagedon : leaving on a jet plane... dont know when ill be back..

almost famous : on the bus... singing elton john.. tiny dancer

my best friends wedding : wel it was kinda lame but i thught it was funny when they started singing say a little prair for you

anyone else....?

Originally Posted by meged
my best friends wedding : wel it was kinda lame but i thught it was funny when they started singing say a little prair for you
I hate that one so much. Young and old alike all know the lyrics to that obscure song...rriiiigghhttttt....
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

in LOTR ROTK when pippen starts singing to the king.... ..... i thought that was lame...
I thought it was terrific.

Armagedon : leaving on a jet plane... dont know when ill be back...
Didn't know if I should puke or laugh in pity when this ridiculous moment came in this retarded film. I think mostly I just couldn't believe how incredibly awful it was. If not the worst, cheesiest, hackiest moment ever, definitely top ten material. Egads, man.

One of the few of these I like comes in a film I don't care much for overall: when the steelmill buddies in The Deer Hunter (1978) sing Frankie Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" over a game of pool before they ship off for Vietnam.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
When someone breaks into song it's always a bad thing.

I did like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the son kept attemping to break into song and his father kept stopping it.

full metal jacket......
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
that was great....

and speeking of monty.... The Life Of Brian... when they start singing Alwwys Look On The Bright Side OF Life

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I'm pretty much with Holden on that.

My favorite would probably be from the end of The Man Who Would be King.

Originally Posted by meged
i just love it when charecters somtimes start singing in movies... it realy gets me going.. and it helps me "connect" to a movie...
but some times they realy f*ck it up..... like in LOTR ROTK when pippen starts singing to the king.... or aragon..... i thought that was lame...
but a good sing along can realy help a flic....
If you've read the lord of the rings books then you already know that there are many many songs written directly in the book. the songs sung in ROTK by aragorn were not for the entertainment of the audience as much as they were there to show what he does when he is by himself. pippen singing to the custodian of minas tirith was such a spectacular scene, the focus was not intended to be on the person singing the song but rather what was happening as the song was being sung. the "king"s son was riding off to death. even the song by itself is quite beautiful.

Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.

Enemies are so stimulating.
the first one that sprang to mind is 8 woman. when i watched it i didnt realise they were going to be singing every few minutes. its a great film. i urge all who havent seen it to see it.

I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Meged, like others I don't agree on your opinion of Pippins song in ROTK. It melded in well with the story and Billy Boyd has a really nice singing voice.

I love most of the songs in The Blues Brothers.

I also enjoyed the musical moments in The Wedding Singer. Amusing, and poigent.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Loner
When someone breaks into song it's always a bad thing.
Huh?

I personally think if your watching a good film and suddenly a character breaks into song, most of the time it becomes a great film.

Magnolia has to be the best. At the pivotel moment in the film when each character is at their lowest, they all simultaneously break into a sing-a-long to Aimee Mann's Wise Up. Brilliant

Bridget Jones' Diary - "All By myself" As goes with the title. I was hooked on to the plight of Bridget with that song as I had been into meaningless relationships myself and i thought the song and the way she lipsynched it was just fabulous.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by dangerouslydead
Bridget Jones' Diary - "All By myself" As goes with the title. I was hooked on to the plight of Bridget with that song as I had been into meaningless relationships myself and i thought the song and the way she lipsynched it was just fabulous.
Thats a good one! Love that bit in the film. Great film to watch over and over...

just rememberd another great one....
on Ferris Bueller's Day Off when ferris gets on a float
and dedicates a song to Cameron... Danke Schoen and after that Twist And Shout... great movie... and a great sing moment...

almost famous.. on the tour bus...
when the band sings along to elton john's Tiny Dancer...
puts a smile on my face every time.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
The South Park movie. . . well, just about anytime that anyone broke out into song, it was hilarious.

when alex starts singin "singing in the rain",while up to a bit of the ole ultra-violent in "A Clockwork Orange".

Definitely the part in The Return of the King where Pippin is singing for Denethor. It goes perfectly with the scene.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Ahem there can be only one...

alongside Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, and the Duke.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Definitely the part in The Return of the King where Pippin is singing for Denethor. It goes perfectly with the scene.
Excellent scene... they are all excellent though...

I also second the Clockwork Orange vote...

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I liked the way Adam sandler and Jack Nicholson broke into the song: "I feel pretty"... this is the best and funniest version I ever heard.... admittely I have never seen west side story but I remain unequilocal that it will pale in comparison.... YES....again.... even though I have never seen west side story.