Biggest frustrations watching films

Tools    

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the biggest frustration or issue for people when watching a film in the cinema? Even on DVD or Blu Ray?

Mine is possibly the lack of subtitles or sound quality, particularly as I am hard of hearing.

What are other peoples frustrations and pains and is there a solution out there? Would love to get some feedback and see what could be done.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the biggest frustration or issue for people when watching a film in the cinema? Even on DVD or Blu Ray?

Mine is possibly the lack of subtitles or sound quality, particularly as I am hard of hearing.

What are other peoples frustrations and pains and is there a solution out there? Would love to get some feedback and see what could be done.

Thanks
I recall, years ago, there was a practically on-going complaint about the volume in theaters being too loud. But when I recently went to see The Force Awakens (first time in a theater in about 8 years) I noticed I was missing most of the dialogue because it didn't seem loud enough.

Hi and welcome to the site! Most movies on DVD/BluRay have subtitles in English, but if you need another language sometimes you're out of luck.

I've watched movies at home with less than ideal sound quality, sometimes the actors dialogue isn't played loud enough over the background noise. And some actors like Russell Crowe don't bother to pronounce their words clearly.

There's a device in America called TV Ears that you wear like headphones and it amplifies the sound. It's great for people with hearing difficulties...and it's also good for watching the TV without waking other people up. That's because you turn the sound off on the TV but turn the volume up on the headphones.

Hi guys,

Thanks
On DVD it probably won't surprise anyone that it's the lengthy process of getting through the menus and the loading of the disc in order to watch something. And those terrible occasions when the disc forgets where it was and restarts. If they could bin all of that ridiculous nonsense it would be perfect.

I would think there must be some way of catering for the hard of hearing in a cinema, though. Even the way the building is designed, if you could have an area where the sound would be more concentrated? Or some kind of synced wireless earpiece?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hot actress plays in a movie, but no nude scene is present.

Hot actress plays in a movie, but no nude scene is present.
I'm just trying to think of an example…?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Most pre-60's flicks. Just choose whatever lady you find attractive.

Setsuko Hara and Li Gong (from what I've seen) are other examples. However, in these cases it's actually a good think.

I've watched movies at home with less than ideal sound quality, sometimes the actors dialogue isn't played loud enough over the background noise. And some actors like Russell Crowe don't bother to pronounce their words clearly.
That's because talking quietly and mumblingyourwordsorhavingthemrunintoeachother is considered the height of acting atm.

As much as I love it, I blame The Wire for the current assault.

As for hard of hearing screenings, there are such things so keep an eye out and maybe you'll find something near you.

Text intros, subtitles or captions that are put up and removed too quickly. For some reason, a lot of modern movies think we're all speed readers.

And all that same stuff, plus credits that are too small to read (most people watch movies on home screens, so what's with the microscopic text?)

This is for TV (and I have a thread devoted to this stuff: http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=43165 )
But many networks like Starz, for instance, have taken to micro-sizing credits and even the ends of some movies in lieu of running ads! Credits and post-credit scenes are part of the movie's run time - if you happen to be a "premium" channel that customers pay EXTRA for and you can't even show a movie in it's entirety, then get out of the movie business because you're engaging in theft & practicing fraud.

Text intros, subtitles or captions that are put up and removed too quickly. For some reason, a lot of modern movies think we're all speed readers.

And all that same stuff, plus credits that are too small to read (most people watch movies on home screens, so what's with the microscopic text?)

This is for TV (and I have a thread devoted to this stuff: http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=43165 )
But many networks like Starz, for instance, have taken to micro-sizing credits and even the ends of some movies in lieu of running ads! Credits and post-credit scenes are part of the movie's run time - if you happen to be a "premium" channel that customers pay EXTRA for and you can't even show a movie in it's entirety, then get out of the movie business because you're engaging in theft & practicing fraud.
I feel like in the internet age of IMDB credits as part of the film are outdated... a relic of the past only persisting because of union rules.

I feel like in the internet age of IMDB credits as part of the film are outdated... a relic of the past only persisting because of union rules.
Interesting you should say that because what goes around comes around.
In old movies, credits (as seen today) were virtually unheard of. And they were usually shown at the beginning of a film (and usually focused on Producer, Director, Music, and the major stars.) There are lots of older films (usually predating the 60's) where after "The End" there are no credits.

I have to return some videotapes...
The thing that bothers me the most when watching a movie at home is when I have to skip through the previews and they are unskipable, so I can'y just go to the menu. That's kind of a petty problem. In theaters, i don't like when people talk obviously, but what bothers me the most is when people com win late an shine a light to try and find their seats.

Ugh, i hate the todays film has this problem that we didn't used to have argument, mostly because the things you used to moan about have now been solved and now there are new things to moan about. That's fine, i'm with you moaning about the new problems but the we had it better back then arguments are ridiculous.

The thing that bothers me the most when watching a movie at home is when I have to skip through the previews and they are unskipable, so I can'y just go to the menu. That's kind of a petty problem. In theaters, i don't like when people talk obviously, but what bothers me the most is when people com win late an shine a light to try and find their seats.
I hate this as well and on a related note I hate that movies at the theater don't start till half an hour after the start time because of commercials and trailers. I have grown to hate trailers for the most part.

My biggest frustrations watching movies at home on DVD/Blu Ray.

The remote control! Errrr....I mean one of four remotes, 3 are for the DVD/Blu Ray players and each one has buttons in a different spot. Very hard to memorize, especially when using them by memory in the dark. If I push the wrong button on the remote and out pops the DVD or back to the Menu section it goes