How Is This Done?

Tools    

How do people post double quotes as in the example circled in red below? Can't figure out how to do it.

It happens automatically on mobile. It's a bitch deleting as sometimes it goes too fast so you delete the original quoter, and havevto start over. So ypu just reply.

Oops, I miss poke there. I believe I made it clearer in my reply in the other thread. I hope it was clearer, ayway. I'm up, so let me know if you need more details.

Oops, I miss poke there. I believe I made it clearer in my reply in the other thread. I hope it was clearer, ayway. I'm up, so let me know if you need more details.
No, that's not it. If you see my circled example, you quoted your original post. Then you quoted my reply to your post. I don't know how to do that.

No, that's not it. If you see my circled example, you quoted your original post. Then you quoted my reply to your post. I don't know how to do that.
It's there if you hit quote. @Yoda? I may be explaining incorrectly. I remember editing long replies on desktop, so unless I'm confusing two formats, shouldn't a simple quote do? Unless the previous reply edited out the original response.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Teeeeeechnically, in that circled example you quoted her original post. She then quoted your entire post that just happened to include her own original post. I don't think any effort was made to create a sub-quote. It just auto-quoted everything in that post.
Like I'm assuming when I submit my reply here it should take your post and anything you quoted and dump it all together.

I'm on my phone tho so I could also be missing something obvious! so take my quote on quoting quotes with a grain of quote. Er. I mean salt. >=P

Teeeeeechnically, in that circled example you quoted her original post. She then quoted your entire post that just happened to include her own original post. I don't think any effort was made to create a sub-quote. It just auto-quoted everything in that post.
Like I'm assuming when I submit my reply here it should take your post and anything you quoted and dump it all together.

I'm on my phone tho so I could also be missing something obvious! so take my quote on quoting quotes with a grain of quote. Er. I mean salt. >=P
When I hit quote I get this only.

When I hit quote I get this only.
And I get it all.

I can't expand the pic. It's tiny on mobile.

It's this:

It happens automatically on mobile.
It's just one quote tag inside another. It happens by default on mobile, but not on desktop. I thought they used the same parser, so I'm not sure why, but I'll have to investigate.

When you guys hit "quote", do you mean the wee icon to left of the little wheel thingy?

Yeah if you are using desktop and you quote one of those posts then type something and preview it both of the quotes are now separated.
I'm using an iPad.

To clarify something about being "on mobile": it's not just about the device. There's a desktop style, and a mobile style, and you can force the site to load in either in User CP -> Edit Options. If you don't choose and/or leave the setting on "Default" it'll pick one automatically depending on what kind of device you're using.

However: it pretty much only automatically picks the mobile style for phones, not tablets. So you're probably using the desktop version.

Okay, so I am hitting the right icon. So, no, I cannot quote quotes inside each other. I can only quote the single post.

Yes and no: yes in the way you seem to mean; it won't just happen automatically. But you can always put quote tags manually inside other quote tags.

Anyway, the answer is that the site deliberately strips out nested quote tags on desktop, but not on mobile.

Anyway, the answer is that the site deliberately strips out nested quote tags on desktop, but not on mobile.
Yes, mystery solved because that is the answer. I was in default, as you said in options & it was defaulting to desktop. When I switched to mobile (which is horrible on my iPad), I could do the stacked quotes.

So if I desperately want to do a stacked quote, I would have to switch to mobile.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate it.