Top 10 Francis Ford Coppola Films

Tools    

I must become Caligari..!
Francis Ford Coppola is with out a doubt one of the greatest directors of all time. So I have made a list of my top 10 FFC film’s.

1. Apocalypse Now (1979)

2. Godfather, The (1972)

3. Outsiders, The (1983)

4. Godfather: Part II, The (1974)

5. Rumble Fish (1983)

6. Godfather: Part III, The (1990)

7. Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)

8. One from the Heart (1982)

9. Conversation, The (1974)

10. Jack (1996)

Whats Yours????
Yay 100 Posts
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

01. Apocaylpse Now
02. The Godfather Part II
03. The Godfather

I have to see The Conversation. It is up there on my list of things to see.

1. The Godfather, A++
2. The Conversation, A++
3. The Godfather Part II, A++
4. Apocalypse Now, A
5. Tucker: The Man & His Dream, B
6. The Cotton Club, B-
7. One From the Heart, B-
8. The Rainmaker, C+
9. The Rain People, C+
10. Bram Stroker's Dracula, C
11. The Godfather Part III, C-
12. Gardens of Stone, C-
13. Peggy Sue Got Married, C-
14. The Outsiders, D+
15. Dementia 13, D
16. Rumble Fish, D
17. Finian's Rainbow, D
18. You're A Big Boy Now, D
19. Jack, F
20. "Life without Zoe" segment of New York Stories, F

Obviously from my grades above, I think after those four key films from the '70s - all materpieces, Coppola dramatically fell off the map with the quality of his output, and too much of it has been downright embarassing. For those four absolutely brilliant movies (The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now), Coppola rightly deserves to be in the fore when talking about the very best filmmaker's that made the 1970s such a strong and interesting decade for American film. For just about everything since then, he's a cautionary tale of how wrong somebody can go.

His kids have made two films in recent years better than anything he's done since the 1980s. Sofia Coppola - who was so rightly derided for her dead performance in The Godfather Part III, had a very strong debut behind the camera as writer/director with The Virgin Suicides (1999). Her brother Roman Coppola debuted as writer/director with the quite good CQ (2001). Hopefully their work won't go downhill as quickly as their father's.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Godfather

Bram Stroker's Dracula

Apocalypse Now

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Has Coppola even made 10 good movies?

Apocalypse Now
The Godfather Pt. II
The Conversation
The Godfather
Peggy Sue Got Married

These are the only ones I really like. I can take or leave the rest.

Oi, Holden, did you catch the screening of A Decade Under the Influence at the Smithsonian a few weeks back?

Nope, I missed it, Steve. I'm quite anxious to see it, too, of course.

And no, Coppola hasn't made ten good movies. Four great ones, which is four more than many filmmakers can say (though not the best of them).

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Dracula has its moments, especially on a visual level. The shooting of the film was kind of an experiment, an attempt to make a movie in "the old" way. It's shot entirely in studios and with staged scenes, with only one scene shot on location (I think it was a London street). The work of the craftsmen working on the set is pretty impressive (the painters, the carpenters etc.). No computers invloved.

Gary Oldman is great, but the acting style of the movie (also meant to be oldfashioned in an ironic kind of way, I suppose) is annoying sometimes.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I Belive that he has made 6 Good ones. althoght i have not seen Conversation, The (1974) in a long time

Anytime I hear the name Francis Ford Coppola, the haunting music from The Godfather pops in my head… followed very closely by “I love the smell of napalm in the morning.” I haven’t seen The Conversation either and I wasn’t that impressed with Peggy Sue Got Married… it was cute but not great. Coppola’s take on Dracula is one of my favorites though… Gary Oldman was great in it…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
This is strange. I posted here at least twice, and those posts have been deleted. Can anyone help me?

I am having a nervous breakdance
The server seemed to be down for a while and some of the later posts disappeared. Happened to me too. One post on this thread for example...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
That makes sense.

All I have to say is I loved Dracula. Gary Oldman was awesome, so was the costuming and art direction. The movie was great, at least by those standards.

I would put these as top three:
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
The Outsiders

~Menelien

Originally posted by Menelien
I would put these as top three:
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
The Outsiders

~Menelien
I beleive The Outsiders (1983) very underated. its an amazing movie with great performances From C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio and all the other (Then) young stars. Nowhere as good good as the book but still a good moive.

I remember rob lowe doing a skit on on SNL once were he was reading throught his old diary. "Today i am on the set of the Outsider's..... Gee what a bunch of no names these guys are gonna be..... Expet for this one kid C. Thomas Howell.... He's gonna gonna be BIG"

My favorite director.

01. Tetro (2009)
02. The Godfather (1972)
03. The Godfather Part II (1974)
04. Apocalypse Now (1979)
05. The Conversation (1974)
06. Rumble Fish (1983)
07. The Godfather Part III (1990)
08. The Outsiders (1983)
09. Youth Without Youth (2007)
10. The Cotton Club (1984)

See the trailer here:

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Crap, I actually rented [Rumble Fish] out earlier today.
It does have a mean scene with Mickey Rourke on a motorcycle... well, he's on it until the end.

I'll say the Godfather is my favorite. I don't even like the other Godfathers.