Lance Accused, Again

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Sedai
Or "He didn't take drugs"
From all the evidence I've seen so far, that's my conclusion.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
About A0C8C's.. eh.. "wild" post. Yes, it is true that Lance isn't necessarily considered to be the best ever basically because of the reasons you mentioned: he's won Tour de France the most times but he hasn't, for instance, won Giro d'Italia. The guy you were thinking of might be belgian Eddy Merckx who's won both Tour de France and Giro d'Italia five times each and is also one of only four to have won all three of the Grand Tours (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España). But if a tennis player won US Open seven years in a row but never any of the other Grand Slam tournaments, wouldn't that player still be great?
Sports Illistrated)I think it was this one) out him in the top 10 greatest athletes of all time and thats blashpgemous. He's not the greatest cyclist so how can he be one of the greatest athletes of all time? Theres no way he should be up there with people like Ali and Jordan. I didn't even like how Tiger was up there, but he atleast golfs in alot ot tournaments, and not one a year.

Originally Posted by A0C8C
Sports Illistrated)I think it was this one) out him in the top 10 greatest athletes of all time and thats blashpgemous. He's not the greatest cyclist so how can he be one of the greatest athletes of all time? Theres no way he should be up there with people like Ali and Jordan. I didn't even like how Tiger was up there, but he atleast golfs in alot ot tournaments, and not one a year.
Alright, we get the fact you dislike Lance only riding in one tour. Then again, if it's the race you love, why not? Eh?

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by John McClane
Alright, we get the fact you dislike Lance only riding in one tour. Then again, if it's the race you love, why not? Eh?
Its not that I care that he rides in only one race. It's the press he gets and the praise he gets as if he's the greatest thing to happen in the last 7 years. I'd like him if it wasn't for the endless press and his arrogance.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Sports Illistrated)I think it was this one) out him in the top 10 greatest athletes of all time and thats blashpgemous. He's not the greatest cyclist so how can he be one of the greatest athletes of all time?
Have you ever thought about that the cancer might have something to do with that?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I'm an avid cyclist, and just shake my head when looking back at all of this. Ever since he won the first tour, he has been scrutinized. Why can't the french just realize that he is a great ambassador for the sport, especially in the US. Why didn't they come out with this before he retired? It's just so convenient that they attack only after he can't defend himself. Frankly, it doesn't surprise me the french go after this tactic.

If you hate LA for all the media attention, what do you think about Barry Bonds? I bet Barry gets million times more coverage than Lance does. Besides, everyone doesn't consider cycling athletic. Besides, they are only riding a bike. Not like they are hitting a home run! Well, all I have to say about that is have any of them tried to ride 100 miles in one day? Or even 200 miles in one day? You'll know how hard it is after doing that ... and they finish the stage in about 4-5 hours!!!!

Its not that I care that he rides in only one race. It's the press he gets and the praise he gets as if he's the greatest thing to happen in the last 7 years. I'd like him if it wasn't for the endless press and his arrogance.
Guess what, he is the greatest thing to happen in the last 7 years. He brought people into a sport that was all but dead in America. He made the average American sit down to watch the greatest athletes in the world. Not only that, he helped an organization raise millions of dollars for cancer research. On top of all this, he just so happens to battle back from testicular cancer that spread to his lungs and brain just to win 7 tours. I mean that can't be so special. Or can it? He's at least one of the greatest things to happen in the past 7 years. So, do you want rephrase that comment there, bud?

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by John McClane
Guess what, he is the greatest thing to happen in the last 7 years. He brought people into a sport that was all but dead in America. He made the average American sit down to watch the greatest athletes in the world. Not only that, he helped an organization raise millions of dollars for cancer research. On top of all this, he just so happens to battle back from testicular cancer that spread to his lungs and brain just to win 7 tours. I mean that can't be so special. Or can it? He's at least one of the greatest things to happen in the past 7 years. So, do you want rephrase that comment there, bud?
Can't rephrase it. I don't care if he had cancer or not, he's not the only one to survive cancer and do great things. Cycling wasn't dead before Lance came around. Atleast not here it wasn't. Theres been people cycling long before Lance. I had teachers in middle school that took part in rides from Dallas to Austin. I've seen the race from one Iowa border to the next. 70 year old grandmas ride in that race. Lance is just lucky media hype.

I have a friend that hates Lance Armstrong-he got into a fight at a bar over Lance Armstrong--he kept calling the other guy 'princess'--Lance brings out the best in all of us

I must be the only one who hates Lance.
Apparently not...

Originally Posted by The Watcher
I have a friend that hates Lance Armstrong
Hate is such a strong emotion… and I used to think in order to feel such an emotion toward anyone, you would actually have to know that person… but then I started dealing with murderers, child molesters, rapists, robbers, etc…. and I learned someone can feel emotions very similar to what can only be defined as hate without having prior knowledge of that person… but for the life of me, I can't figure out why Lance winning a couple of bike races and beating cancer is so terrible that anyone would actually hate him for it…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Lance Armstrong is not even close to being the greatest athlete of all times and all sportsmen take performance enhancing substances.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
Lance Armstrong is not even close to being the greatest athlete of all times and all sportsmen take performance enhancing substances.

"Of all times"
implies 'since forever'… so under those stipulations, no, Lance is not the greatest, but that doesn't exclude him from being one of the greats… and in order to accuse all athletes of taking performance enhancing substances, you would have to personally know each and everyone of them and have access to all of their medical files… otherwise, your accusation is nothing more then a personal assumption, possibly based on hearsay… which is, in fact, nothing more then malicious gossip.

Hate is such a strong emotion… and I used to think in order to feel such an emotion toward anyone, you would actually have to know that person… but then I started dealing with murderers, child molesters, rapists, robbers, etc…. and I learned someone can feel emotions very similar to what can only be defined as hate without having prior knowledge of that person… but for the life of me, I can't figure out why Lance winning a couple of bike races and beating cancer is so terrible that anyone would actually hate him for it…[/quote]

I believe that love and hate are the same emotions just manifested differently--you can't hate unless you love--I guess that's why if you love someone and they betray you-it hurts so much and you can have the ability to hate them. My friend that hates Lance Armstrong is French and he is very much in love with being French--that's why he can hate something that he sees as anti-French--I don't know, Lance doesnt bother me-I'm just trying to make sense of the whole thing

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Caitlyn

"Of all times"
implies 'since forever'… so under those stipulations, no, Lance is not the greatest, but that doesn't exclude him from being one of the greats… and in order to accuse all athletes of taking performance enhancing substances, you would have to personally know each and everyone of them and have access to all of their medical files… otherwise, your accusation is nothing more then a personal assumption, possibly based on hearsay… which is, in fact, nothing more then malicious gossip.
ok so he's not one of the greatest of all times but he is indeed one of the greats? In what context would you call hime great? The last year, 5 years, decade?

Saying that athletes do not take performance enhancing substances is basically wrong. There are hundreds of legal performance enhancing stimulants which all athletes will admit to taking. Steroids is a blanket term used to describe many different stimulants, some which are legal, some which are not.

May The Forks be With Us
Well, it's final. He was stripped of his Tour de France awards.
The French found 3 objects that have been banned from the Tour and not used commonly in France anyways. They found a Bar of Soap, a stick of deoderant and a thing of toothpaste.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
Well, it's final. He was stripped of his Tour de France awards.
The French found 3 objects that have been banned from the Tour and not used commonly in France anyways. They found a Bar of Soap, a stick of deoderant and a thing of toothpaste.
oo *smack* he hit a little below the belt there, that one may leave a mark folks. Hey hellboy you kind of freaked me out with the start of your post 'he was stripped of his Tour de France awards', I was then .

May The Forks be With Us
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
oo *smack* he hit a little below the belt there, that one may leave a mark folks. Hey hellboy you kind of freaked me out with the start of your post 'he was stripped of his Tour de France awards', I was then .
Well, it's a bit bellow the belt to try and take his awards away because your not satisfied that an American kicked your teams @$$ and that you had traces of drugs in your system that were helping you fight your sickness. And for all those people who say he's not the greatest bike rider, I agree. He isn't that good but the reason people like him so much is that he always has the fight in him. He feels like crap after he races because of a side effect of the cancer, he doesn't quit though. He fought against the odds and beat back his cancer. I realize that other people have done this and gone to do better things and I'm not saying that they are great people too but they don't represent America in one of the biggest sports events during the year. I just think that we should all let it slide. Let the man have his awards, let the French fume about it, and after a while it will all go away. It's only a game, nothing significant is going to come from it other than some record that someone else is sure to break someday, it's not going to spark a war because we beat them in racing bikes around their own country. I just say that we let it pass and move on.

May The Forks be With Us
^^^ I guess thats what you call a thread killer

Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
Well, it's a bit bellow the belt to try and take his awards away because your not satisfied that an American kicked your teams @$$ and that you had traces of drugs in your system that were helping you fight your sickness. And for all those people who say he's not the greatest bike rider, I agree. He isn't that good but the reason people like him so much is that he always has the fight in him. He feels like crap after he races because of a side effect of the cancer, he doesn't quit though. He fought against the odds and beat back his cancer. I realize that other people have done this and gone to do better things and I'm not saying that they are great people too but they don't represent America in one of the biggest sports events during the year. I just think that we should all let it slide. Let the man have his awards, let the French fume about it, and after a while it will all go away. It's only a game, nothing significant is going to come from it other than some record that someone else is sure to break someday, it's not going to spark a war because we beat them in racing bikes around their own country. I just say that we let it pass and move on.
Yeah it definitly was a thread killer. Mainly because its ridiculous.

You brought into this matter the issue of race and the fact that he was pissed because an american beat his ass as you say. Show me when the last time Lance Armstrong started pouting when he didn't do as well as he always does. And what does race have anything to do with this? Mst you always turn the issue of a bike race into american versus french?
The guy has less blood than every other racer, and his blood is thinner. He takes medicine that keeps him from dying, i doesn't enhance his abilities nor does it give him the slightest advantage. Therefore your whole arguement is void and null. He happens to be one of the greatest athletes if not THE greatest of our time. So there, don't try to bring race into this again or I will jump on your ass about it....again