True Crime Thread

Tools    

I'll go for Look of Silence after Shenandoah then,

Is it this? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera..._Self_Portrait

Idi Amin sounded nuts, scary guy man. I remember a story that was on QI. Apparently he couldn't find good shoes his size in Uganda so he went to London to buy them and while there he just turned up at Buckingham Palace to see the Queen without having informed anyone .
Yeah, that's the one. Everything I know about Amin is from King Of Scotland. I'm pathetic.

Hey Sean i was looking through some stuff today and i came across a HBO Documentary that looks interesting; The Trials of Darryl Hunt. It has gotten good reviews and is on Youtube:

Just wondering if you'd want to do that at some point, if you haven't already seen it? It doesn't have to be anytime soon just something for the future.

I watched the Hunt doc Camo. I'm going to let you take the lead this time. No rush, I think you will find it interesting.

@seanc have you heard about this? - https://stownpodcast.org/

It's a Serial/This American Life spinoff and sounds great. Not tried it yet but it sounds much more interesting than Serial Season 2 at least.
I will check it out this week. Sounds interesting.

It's a Serial/This American Life spinoff and sounds great. Not tried it yet but it sounds much more interesting than Serial Season 2 at least.
It's very interesting. You start yet?

I finished when you're ready to chat. Really great but not at all what I expected. I will be interested to see what you knew going in. Stay as pure as possible.

I finished when you're ready to chat. Really great but not at all what I expected. I will be interested to see what you knew going in. Stay as pure as possible.
Damn you finished already? I listened to the first half of the first episode then got interrupted and haven't been able to return. Was enjoying it, will probably be able to get a good start on it this weekend.

Don't really know what to think from that half of an episode obviously yet. It's really weird what the guy is saying anyway. Something i thought was pretty funny was that he was trying his hardest to make sure we didn't think he was a 'hick' for lack of a better world. Few things i remember him saying was the *paraphrasing* "people around here are morons, they don't even believe in global warming", "he's a real Rush Limbaugh type, loves Glenn Beck" . From what i heard he does sound pretty authentic tho, with the host saying he wanted to talk for hours about all sorts of subjects you wouldn't expect him to be into, how the only one he can talk to is the town lawyer, etc. It did make me wonder if he was looking for attention with this at least a little though, since he feels so trapped in this town and no one has anything in common with him coupled with the fact that the host couldn't find anything about the alleged crime, or even the death. As i said though that's only from half an episode, i imagine listening to the rest of it alot of this will change. I had to turn it off at the part where the host first went to meet him at his garden. Should be able to get through at least half of it over the weekend.

Does the host not just remind you of Sarah? He was pretty much the exact same for me, i was wondering if it was due to them using the same sort of music or maybe he actually did try to emulate her to make it familiar to the viewers.

Jesus, i've written this much about half an episode, don't think you want me listening to the rest haha.

Damn you finished already? I listened to the first half of the first episode then got interrupted and haven't been able to return. Was enjoying it, will probably be able to get a good start on it this weekend.

Don't really know what to think from that half of an episode obviously yet. It's really weird what the guy is saying anyway. Something i thought was pretty funny was that he was trying his hardest to make sure we didn't think he was a 'hick' for lack of a better world. Few things i remember him saying was the *paraphrasing* "people around here are morons, they don't even believe in global warming", "he's a real Rush Limbaugh type, loves Glenn Beck" . From what i heard he does sound pretty authentic tho, with the host saying he wanted to talk for hours about all sorts of subjects you wouldn't expect him to be into, how the only one he can talk to is the town lawyer, etc. It did make me wonder if he was looking for attention with this at least a little though, since he feels so trapped in this town and no one has anything in common with him coupled with the fact that the host couldn't find anything about the alleged crime, or even the death. As i said though that's only from half an episode, i imagine listening to the rest of it alot of this will change. I had to turn it off at the part where the host first went to meet him at his garden. Should be able to get through at least half of it over the weekend.

Does the host not just remind you of Sarah? He was pretty much the exact same for me, i was wondering if it was due to them using the same sort of music or maybe he actually did try to emulate her to make it familiar to the viewers.

Jesus, i've written this much about half an episode, don't think you want me listening to the rest haha.
I can't wait for you to listen, but can't comment for obvious reasons. Also obvious you know nothing, so yeah, that's awesome. Very similar to Sarah. Excellent way to tell stories. I hope they can continue to mine these gems. I love the format.

I can't wait for you to listen, but can't comment for obvious reasons. Also obvious you know nothing, so yeah, that's awesome. Very similar to Sarah. Excellent way to tell stories. I hope they can continue to mine these gems. I love the format.
Definitely, looking forward to it. Do you listen to This American Life? If so is it any good?

Was never really sure of what it was just always remember Sarah mentioning it at the start of every episode. From what i read about it, it seems similar to this except it is an episode per subject and they focus on lots of different things. Read it's pretty uneven, some great and some boring episodes.

Definitely, looking forward to it. Do you listen to This American Life? If so is it any good?

Was never really sure of what it was just always remember Sarah mentioning it at the start of every episode. From what i read about it, it seems similar to this except it is an episode per subject and they focus on lots of different things. Read it's pretty uneven, some great and some boring episodes.
I haven't ever listened. I should give it a try.

Did anyone ever see this documentary series? Really really good. At the end, I had no clue who to believe.

@seanc

Sorry it's been so long but yeah i've finally listened to it if you want to talk about it. I don't listen to podcasts much: True Crime and History sometimes are the only subjects i've really went out of my way to listen to, regardless S-Town is my favourite Podcast. A movie hasn't made me properly cry in quite a while: i've teared up plenty and sobbed sometimes but i've not properly cried at a movie in at least a decade, the Brokeback Mountain - guy who could have been his partner and possibly averted this situation - episode of S-Town broke my heart and i was crying through most of it.

When the gold came up, i cynically said to myself the gold won't be found and i'll just be left unsatisfied in the end. Well the gold wasn't found but i'm struggling to think of a piece of media other than a few albums that have left me more satisfied than this. If it was revealed tomorrow that this was 100% fictional, John wasn't real and neither was anything else i don't think i'd care because this really did touch me.

To bring up something outside of praise that won't generate a conversation: what do you think of the mercury poisoning? I think if everything that John claimed (well people claimed John claimed) about doing it a dozen times a year was accurate then it was probably a major factor along with his clear depression in his suicide.
The theory put forward about mercury poisoning was very compelling. I felt for John quite a bit. Obviously he was a very tortured soul. I really just love the way the story was told. Maybe these podcasts can be in bad taste a bit, but I really liked this one.

Did anyone ever see this documentary series? Really really good. At the end, I had no clue who to believe.
Yeah, I saw it as well. A year removed but I remember thinking he was guilty. The bones in the fire being the most damning evidence to me. If memory serves I didn't think they did a good job of explaining that away. I felt most sorry for the nephew.

I know, i was kind of trying to force a conversation there but yeah i agree. S-Town was just really beautiful and should be left as is. I saw an article after that calling the guy who bought the land (the dad of the guy who was accused of the murder that started all of this if you remember) a fascist and horrible person and whatever. Thought that was pretty awful, if it turns out he actually did something wrong then i'm with everyone but one of the main reasons John was against that family and the town in general was his own depression obviously, i think people taking his gold/fortune literally and thinking this dude has swooped in to take over this are missing the point. That guy may very well be awful: i mean 3 K's? It's not relevant either way though and i think the weakest part of the podcast was bringing up him right at the end to be the villain when the podcast really didn't need one.
Yeah, I think I mostly agree. The great thing about the cast is it is such a honest look at humanity. Everyone does things that people may not do themselves but they are all doing it out of a sense of what they think is right. They are selfish sometimes, and other times selfless. They tell half truths. I can honestly say there were times I was on everyone's side's at certain points.

He seemed to be the most manipulated, and certainly didn't seem to have the ability to know what was going on. Again, over a year removed but that's what stood out.