Lott

Tools    

Should he resign? Is he being treated extremely unfairly? Discuss.

I am very surprised that so many Republicans are not defending Lott. When this story first surfaced, I figured a few Dems would blast him, but that party loyalty would keep this whole thing from getting out of hand. Well, when Rush Limbaugh says that Lott's comments were inexusable, you know Trent is in a world of hurt.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
****!...And here I was expecting a homage to my All-Time favourite Safety.

Lott is being treated exactly as expected, don't you think? Regardless of personal feelings, members of the GOP aren't going to jeopardize their own images in the media by defending him, so most have kept silent about the whole thing (not to imply that all Republicans are in favor of segregation, mind you.) The Democrats are acting as expected, too. A lot of them are calling for Lott to be censured - not surprising. President Bush called his remarks "immoral and wrong" after a week of silence on the issue; I guess they were hoping it would blow over. Regardless, it was a good political move on his part, even if he didn't call for Lott's resignation.

Personally, I think his remarks should be taken in context. He was speaking on Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday, and we all know about the evil Strom Thurmond's crusade against black folks back in the day. I have a feeling that on some level Lott was just kissing ass, but at the same time it clearly reveals something about his personal feelings on the subject, and he deserves to be ripped to shreds by the media. The most tactful thing to do would be for him to resign - this isn't something Democrats are going to forget in 2 years.

Originally posted by Jonny Goodboy
****!...And here I was expecting a homage to my All-Time favourite Safety.
Hell yeah! Ronnie Lott was the man!

Yoda: don't you think that if he were trying to make a joke, his spokesperson would have mentioned it?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Steve

Hell yeah! Ronnie Lott was the man!
Can anyone tell me who's this Lott-guy is?? Give me a nice resumé, please! (Hey, I live in Sweden for god's sake!!)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Yoda: don't you think that if he were trying to make a joke, his spokesperson would have mentioned it?
Actually, no, not necessarily. It would probably sound pretty lame to say "I was just kidding." But it's hard to say one way or the other.

PZ: Ronnie Lott was a football player. Raiders and 49ers, if memory serves.

There's no context that makes that thought acceptible, and I don't think it was meant as a "joke" of some kind - certainly not to that crowd at that time it wasn't. He should resign, then take a nice holiday with Al Campanis to visit Jimmy The Greek's gravesite.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Yoda

Actually, no, not necessarily. It would probably sound pretty lame to say "I was just kidding." But it's hard to say one way or the other.

PZ: Ronnie Lott was a football player. Raiders and 49ers, if memory serves.
I guess, but think about who he was speaking to! Who's going to poke fun at a 100 year old man? If it was a joke, what's the point of not saying so?

And hell yes Ronnie Lott was on the 49ers! He's the greatest safety in the history of the league. He played with a broken wrist for like, a whole season!

A novel adaptation.
I don't believe that his intentions had anything to do qwith segragation, and actually, if my memeory serves me, segragation was never even mentioned by him. People are blowing it way out of proportion, and I truly think that it was just a poorly worded joke about Thurmond's extremely long run in the senate.

I guess, but think about who he was speaking to! Who's going to poke fun at a 100 year old man? If it was a joke, what's the point of not saying so?
Like I said: it sounds lame. Probably because it generally is lame. It really doesn't matter whether or not he was joking, though. Either way it wasn't the smartest thing to say.

He played with a broken wrist for like, a whole season!
"There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity."

He did, indeed, kick a**, though.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
If only it were as obvious to everybody.
Good point, what with so many organizations releasing statements of support for his comments and everything. Medoubts anyone of sufficient intelligence to operate a computer is all that likely to need such a thing pointed out to them, iMacs or not.

Originally posted by Yoda
Either way it wasn't the smartest thing to say.

"There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity."

He did, indeed, kick a**, though.
Yep, and yep. He was so good though! He still made the Pro Bowl even with a broken wrist!

Good point, what with so many organizations releasing statements of support for his comments and everything. Medoubts anyone of sufficient intelligence to operate a computer is all that likely to need such a thing pointed out to them, iMacs or not.

Yep, and yep. He was so good though! He still made the Pro Bowl even with a broken wrist!
Cray-zay stuff. Not to mention that he's a hell of a commentator, too.

I don't think he meant it as a joke at all. I think he was just trying to pay a compliment that was not thought through at all. From now on I'm going to call him Homer Lott. Doh!!!

I believe it's being blown out of proportion, why would anybody who wanted to work in Washington say that segregation would have eliminated the present problems of our world today? I mean, c'mon! It was a mistake, and he should be scolded for stupidity, but forgiven.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I didn't like Lott before this incident. My opinion of him really hasn't lowered much since the comment.

I’ve been around Trent Lott numerous times and really don’t care for him but I have to agree with LordSlaytan on this… I think his poor choice of words were meant as a compliment to Storm Thurmond and they have been totally blown out of proportion… the news media and the powers that be need to leave it alone and concentrate on the problems we have to deal with today instead of worrying about some Senator sticking his foot in his mouth about something that happened over 50 years ago…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In fact, one might say I don't like him a Lott!

Wow, no one has pulled this one yet?