The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Actor Stats Pit Stop

Bruce Willis
(The Player, Pulp Fiction, Sin City)
Bill Paxton
(A Simple Plan, One False Move, Nightcrawler)
Billy Bob Thornton
(A Simple Plan, One False Move, The Man Who Wasn’t There)
Gene Hackman
(The French Connection, Night Moves, The Conversation)
Mark Ruffalo
(Shutter Island, Collateral, Zodiac)
Robert Downey Jr.
(Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys, Zodiac)
Val Kilmer
(Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, True Romance, Heat)
William Fichtner
(The Dark Knight, Strange Days, Heat)
Tom Sizemore
(Strange Days, True Romance, Heat)
Stephen Tobolowsky
(The Grifters, Thelma & Louise, Basic Instinct)
Michael Caine
(Mona Lisa, The Dark Knight, Get Carter)
Dennis Hopper
(The American Friend, Red Rock West, True Romance)
Mickey Rourke
(Angel Heart, Sin City, Body Heat)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Chinatown
L.A. Confidential
Memento
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Mulholland Dr.
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Seven
Blood Simple
The Long Goodbye
Blue Velvet
The Usual Suspects

Chinatown
L.A. Confidential
Memento
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Mulholland Dr.
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Seven
Blood Simple
The Long Goodbye
Blue Velvet
The Usual Suspects
High and Low
Le samourai
Bad Lieutenant
Drive
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Chinatown
L.A. Confidential
Memento
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Mulholland Dr.
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Seven
Blood Simple
The Long Goodbye
Blue Velvet
The Usual Suspects
Blow Out
High and Low
Le Samourai
Jackie Brown
Drive

Updated list

Chinatown
L.A. Confidential
Memento
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Mulholland Dr.
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Seven
Blood Simple
The Long Goodbye
Blue Velvet
The Usual Suspects
Blow Out
High and Low
Le Samourai
Jackie Brown
Drive

Updated list
+2

The "whatever you see as Neo Noir is good enough" aspect has made this a countdown you can't reliably predict. My best guess for the Top Twenty is...

Blade Runner
Blood Simple
Blow Out
Blue Velvet
Chinatown
Drive
Fargo
High & Low
Jackie Brown
L.A. Confidential
Le Samouraï
Léon: The Professional
The Long Goodbye
Memento
Mulholland Drive
Miller's Crossing
Reservoir Dogs
SE7EN
Taxi Driver
The Usual Suspects

But as this list has shown, just about anything could be coming. Lots of no-doubt Neo Noir canon is going to be left off of the MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
I do love me some Body Heat.
Would have been top-10 on my ballot I never finished.

Chinatown
L.A. Confidential
Memento
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Mulholland Dr.
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Seven
Blood Simple
The Long Goodbye
Blue Velvet
The Usual Suspects
Blow Out
High and Low
Le Samourai
Jackie Brown
Drive

Updated list
I only managed 5 out of this list and 5 out of Holden's list.

Body Heat and Nightcrawler are both movies that are very good, but don't need to be in my particularly canon.

Sometimes it's an elusive thing trying to figure out why some movies speak so strongly to me, and others, while obviously just as good, I just enjoy and appreciate but never think about again.

Sounds about where I landed. There's certain prompts that can cause them jump up to mind as particular examples of something, with Body Heat being a bit more prevalent just because I watched it last year.

The rest of my list should make it, but probably wont because of politics n such.

Was out all morning, but will post reveals in the next minutes.

12lists156points
The Usual Suspects
Director

Bryan Singer, 1995

Starring

Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollak

12lists164points
High and Low
Director

Akira Kurosawa, 1963

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Kyōko Kagawa, Tatsuya Mihashi

TRAILERS

The Usual Suspects - Five criminals meet in a police lineup only to find themselves in the middle of a multi-million dollar heist orchestrated by a mysterious and mythical crime lord.

High and Low - An executive of a Yokohama shoe company becomes a victim of extortion when his chauffeur's son is kidnapped by mistake and held for ransom.

I'm a huge fan of The Usual Suspects. It would probably sneak into my 20 all-time favorites. Rented it back in the late 90s with a group of friends, and the ending f**king blew us away. I still watch it often and always have fun figuring out what is really happening. That said, I really don't see it as neo-noir, so I never even considered it for my ballot.

I haven't seen High and Low, but it's been highly recommended to me.

SEEN: 56/82
MY BALLOT: 16/25

My ballot  

High and Low is one of the best movies I've ever seen, neo-noir or otherwise, landing at #2 on my ballot. A short reaction:

This is an excellent police procedural that I would describe as complete. It does for kidnappings what The Day of the Jackal does for assassinations for how detailed it is about every stage of the story. I like how it deglamorizes police work for the way it shows how all-consuming, detail-dependent and sometimes thankless the profession is. I think it would be a good movie to watch for anyone who would want to do that kind of work for a living. This definitely doesn't mean the movie makes it boring, though. Also, with its wide-angled cinematography, use of real Yokohama locations and real people - the passengers on a train scene are actual passengers - it looks and feels authentic, not to mention provides a visual feast.

The movie is old, but with the exception of some sexism here and there, it's not dated. Its theme of the hardly steady relationship between rich and poor make it especially relevant today.

Reply to Topic