Non-gory horror movies

Tools    

dead silence! really good movie, without people getting slaughtered every 10 seconds.

Semper Fooey
The first version of

Village of the Damned

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

While both are science fiction, they are also horror movies with no explicit gore.

And also

Quatermass and the Pit

I watched "Case 39" last week. That was creepy.

Another good one is "Frozen", the 2010 American film (there were others with the same title).

Most horror films from the 50's and 60's fit the bill where they had to use story lines rather than gore to make a film. A lot of good ones in the 70's too.

Wow! So many great suggestions!

I just watched Insidious, and yes I agree, about halfway through the movie I'm thinking "I've seen this before" ..very Poltergeist-esque

I haven't watched Tommyknockers since I was a kid...I remember it scared the bejeezers outta me.

I would put the Halloween, Psycho, and The Shining in the gore category (but I love them too!)

I want to see the new one that Daniel Radcliffe has coming out soon, I think I saw it mentioned in an earlier reply.

Ghost stories are always the best scary movies and The Haunting is right at the top of my list.

Forbidden Planet might slightly fall into the horror movie category. It's definitely sci-fi, but the monster on the planet gives you the horror movie flavor.

Most horror these days are gory slashers or ghost stories. Take your pick.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I've not seen The Devil's Backbone, The innocents, or The hous of the devil.

Thanks!
I highly recommend those as well, especially Devil's Backbone.

Recent: The House of the Devil

Classic: The Innocents, Rosemary's Baby
House of the Devil wasn't too gory at all, no, but that first big scene of violence practically shocked the you-know-what out of me.

Carrie, the original from 1976. You've probably seen it but just in case.

The Entity with Barbara Hershey. Quite a bit of nudity but a great film.

Trilogy of Terror; 3 separate short films in one. You'll never forget the last one.

The Sentinel: all I remember about it is that it scared the crap out of me.

Open Water; if you're afraid of the water like me, forget it.

It: if clowns scare you, you're in trouble.

Stir of Echoes

Misery

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
Though it's more dark fantasy than horror, I'd highly recommend the almost forgotten Paperhouse.