The Exorcist

→ in
Tools    

*bump in the night*

This is why we NEED neg rep back:

who cares, anyway? it's just a button.

besides, those little red minus 1's are... beautiful! it's like a risqué little, "ooh, i got to somebody". it makes me feel all giddy like when Jeannie's belly button would become exposed for a half a second in that sassy little outfit of hers.
Anyhoo, I did indeed rewatch Exorcist 3 and it held up very well to my memory of it; underrated film, best sequel in the series.

Totally ignoring the boring sequel Heretic, Exorcist 3 continues the first film's story by expanding on it in interesting ways. I actually prefer Exorcist 3 because of its greater variety in locations and its characters. I liked all the performances in the film and especially the friendship between Lieutenant Kinderman (George C. Scott) and Father Dyer (Ed Flanders). Visually compelling and somber, the film recaptured and sustained the mood of genuine lurking evil from the original. Thumbs up.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Warning: this post may contain spoilers!

I remember watching Exorcist 3 years ago and enjoying it. Big scare with the scene with the scissors! I'll have to put it on my re-watch list.

I watch the original on a regular basis and, while I'm not religious, find it a very unsettling and effective horror movie. I feel it really centres around Regan's mother, Chris. This poor woman who has what she believes is a very sick child and no power to do anything to help her. The doctors can't find the problem and just about write her off. She even goes outside her own beliefs looking for a solution. I think the scene that drives this home is where she learns that Burke Dennings has died, turns around to see her daughter 'walking' down the stairs and spewing blood at the bottom. Her reaction to this is brilliant, the woman has almost hit rock bottom.

A very good horror movie. Bonus: Lee J. Cobb. I love his performance.

THE EXORCIST is a classic that broke all the rules and changed film making forever...the film features a perfect marriage of gross-out graphics and genuine terror that has never been so effectively fused in one film. Friedkin's in-your-face direction is more than just a special effects supervisor and the acting throughout is first rate...Ellen Burstyn was robbed of a Best Actress Oscar IMO.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I just thought I'd point out that today, December 26, 2023 is the 50th anniversary of this movies release.

Ronald Hunkeler was the boy possessed.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
The Exorcist is my favourite horror movie. Such a unsettling piece of work that gave the genre a seriousness it hadn't had much of before. Because it's about a mother who is trying to save the life of her daughter, a mother who is desperate having run out of ideas, you have this great theme running beneath the supernatural stuff that can be appreciated by audiences who wouldn't ordinarily go for horror. You've also got this priest having a crisis of faith. Aside from the more outlandish paranormal activity - the levitation, the head spin, the jumping bed, the furniture flying around the room - you've got a very human, very atmospheric, very chilling story that's told with a lot of intelligence (courtesy of Blatty's screenplay) and realism (thanks to Friedkin's approach).