Cutting Cable

Tools    

I am currently paying about $140 bucks for cable/internet, and with my move to Washington coming up I want to start over and cut the price I pay for TV dramatically.

I am not worried too much about network shows that I watch, an antennae should be fine.

What I am worried about is live sports. Really only NFL, I enjoy basketball and baseball but I won't be heartbroken without them. Also, I watch a lot of HBO and Showtime series.

Do any of you MoFos that enjoy watching television succeed without cable?

Netflix and Hulu Plus look great for popular shows and movies, I am just trying to figure out a way to watch premium shows such as Bored to Death, Boardwalk Empire, and other originals that aren't going to be found on Hulu.

Looks like I can watch the NFL local broadcasts, just not ESPN. Also seems that there isn't a way to legally watch the premium shows unless they are on Hulu (such as Dexter)

Yeah, my current Comcast monthly bill, which does include my internet service, is up to $200. And while I think of canceling every time I make a payment, the truth is my addiction is much too strong to ever break. Now it would be a lot cheaper if I didn't have the full ride of features, including paying extra for the Baseball package every summer, but whatareyougonnado?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You can usually get good deals when you move to a new area but you have to take the deal for a year or two. I don't know if the deal will be worth it to you but it would let you keep your fave shows and sports and give you time to "comparison shop".

The People's Republic of Clogher
Damn, I was gonna recommend a wire-stripper.

Different set-up over here, of course, but I get along quite happily without subscription TV. Been tempted by Sky a few times but the thought of giving Rupert Murdoch a single penny always pulls me back from the brink.

I've got PlayTV connected to the PS3 which gives me 60+ channels (including Film4, which is excellent) with no subscription and as big a hard drive to store things on as you can afford, up to 1TB, and upscaled pretty niftily on HD sets. One-off rentals (either online or terrestrial) get me movies and TV shows when I want them and if there's sport I want to watch which isn't on terrestrial TV I'll head down to the pub.

Freeview HD is coming soon, which is similar to the above but in, you guessed it....

So yeah, I live quite easily without cable. Honest.

Cross my heart.