My List of Worst Movie Remakes

Tools    

I already did a list of my favorite remakes, so I thought it was time to give the garbage remakes equal time. The following is my list of the worst movie remakes ever made:

Stolen Hours

This 1963 melodrama is a remake of the Bette Davis classic Dark Victory...Susan Hayward pretty much phones it in as a woman who learns she is dying.

Alfie

The original 1966 film made Michael Caine a star and garnered him an Oscar nomination. Jude Law has a hard time filling Caine's shoes in this tired 2004 remake. Susan Sarandon is the best thing about this movie in the role Shelley Winters played in the original.

Flubber

Disney's 1997 remake of their 1961 classic seemed like a good idea on paper, but definitely lost something in its transfer to the big screen.

Another remake . Either Flubber or Disneys Hercules was the first film i saw in the CInema, not sure which one. I'm sure i liked it at the time but i was only 4 so who knows what i'd think now.

Bundle of Joy

This 1956 remake of a 1939 Ginger Rogers comedy called Bachelor Mother about a shopgirl who finds a baby in a department store, seems to have been made merely as an excuse for Debbie Reynolds to make a movie with her husband at the time, Eddie Fisher...maybe this is why Eddie left Debbie for Elizabeth Taylor.

Billy Jack Goes to Washington

Yes, someone decided to compare Tom Laughlin's anti-hero to Jimmy Stewart in this hot mess of a remake of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

So you meant sequels or remakes. Seem like two different things, but alrighty then.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I can't speak for Gideon, but back in the day we didn't use the word reboot...and sequel often was used to mean remake. Now a days the words have different meanings. But for a long time a sequel was the word used to describe a remaking of a film.

Not sure where you grew up, but sequel never meant remake. They have always had different meaning. Except in this thread.
Agreed. I've never heard of a remake referred to as a sequel until this thread. Makes no sense at all as they are completely different things.

Oh well, its his thread he can do as he pleases whether it makes sense or not.

Another in the "remake and sequels have never been the same" camp here. Remakes and reboots? Yes. Sequels are continuations of the story/character. Personally I rarely feel that a continuation of the series/character is a sequel. Carry On... or James Bond, for example.

Just looked both of those are remakes not sequels.
This thread is about remakes, but I wrote sequels in the title by mistake...I have consulted Yoda about changing the title for me.

The Out-of-Towners

I loved the original 1971 Neil Simon comedy and was really looking forward to this remake, but other than a hilarious supporting turn from John Cleese, this remake was a big ol' mess.

Poseidon

For me, the main problem with this 2006 remake of the 1972 disaster classic is that the screenplay doesn't give us time to care about these new characters the way we cared about Gene Hackman's doubting priest and Shelley Winters' little old lady swimming champ.

This thread is about remakes, but I wrote sequels in the title by mistake...I have consulted Yoda about changing the title for me.
Cool, that makes sense . It does raise some questions about Citizen calling remakes sequels but