The Strangers (Spoiler Alert)

→ in
Tools    

The Strangers

If one movie were to instill the common fear of being home alone, it would be The Strangers, written and directed by Bryan Bertino starring Liv Tyler as Kristen McKay and Scott Speedman as James Hoyt.

The film starts off with two Mormon boys who stumble upon a destroyed truck, and a house that appears rather empty, but covered with blood splatters, a bloody kitchen knife, broken glass, a velvet ring box, and a record, eerily spinning in its player. To make the mood even more frightening, the scene is dubbed over with a phone call to the police from a distressed women, describing the hideous scene before the audience. Then the film flashes back, to unfold the previous events (which, Bertino claims, are based on true events, although I presume rather loosely.)

James Hoyt and girlfriend Kristen McKay are returning from what appears to be a friends wedding, although the couple is obviously upset. However, not directly revealed in the film, it is pretty obvious that Kristen has rejected James' proposal for marriage, making their upcoming road trip, and romantic stay at James' father's cabin rather dismal, depressing and awkward.

On top of this tension, a unnecessarily loud and daunting knock pummels on the front door, where a voice of a girl asks if Tamara is home, which obviously, she is not.

The story continues when James leaves the house briefly, the madness begins and the audience is scared and tries to anticipate (although it is still always shocking) the Strangers' appearances.

As a horror fan, and knowledgeable on how disappointing and horrible these films can often turn out, I thoroughly enjoyed The Strangers. I felt the film could have been slightly shorter, since, not much happens in the duration of the film, and although the mysteries of the plot are never quite fully resolved, it makes the film that much more intense and nerve-racking.

Surprisingly, I found Speedman and Tyler very good, which is also rare in horror films, so that's always a plus. And I felt terrified the entire film, which I love in a thriller.

In attempt to not ruin any more of the film, I will not share any of the better or worse moments, but I do strongly recommend that all horror fans see this movie, I mean, even The Onion gave this film an A-. I'd give it about a B+.

Liv Tyler in a HORROR movie? Now I'm scared.

It was much better than all the other Horror films that have been comming out. Directors are more focused on gore than the scare factor of a film. And quite frankly when I go see a Horror flick I want to be scared, not nausous.

This movie was scary, a bit drawn out but scary.
It says it was based on true events...Does anyone know?
I tried to research it but found nothing

yeah. its not at all. basically, as a child, a person knocked on the directors door late at night but nothing happened. then, later, he heard of robberies in the neighborhood surrounding him. THATS IT. They were also influenced by the Manson murders. No "true" events.
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Liv Tyler in a HORROR movie? Now I'm scared.
Exactly, so am I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

quite frankly I was expecting much, much more than this movie delivered, i thought i would be scared at parts I laughed there was very little scary about this movie, I was definitely dissapointed with this movie not because I thought it was a bad movie, but because it wasn't scary, it was good definitely better than recent horror films such as "saw" and "the ring" but not because it was scarier, because it was an overall better movie, now that's not to say this movie was good cause saw and the ring are garbage, I wouldn't pay a dime to see either of those movies, but strangers had its moments in particular the parts with the Mormon kids I enjoyed as well as when he shoots his friend with a shotgun, but the rest of it was either not scary or bad.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It started out well, but then they used the same scare tactic every 5 minutes and it got annoying.

Suspect's Reviews

this is the first movie,,i gotta say,,the setting is kind of relaxing and dark. Everything is shot at night and the whole movie is just classic and nothing special about this movie. I have to say that i loved this movie but it is kind of slow and at times get boring but it is a classic and you have to forgive me for talking a bit too much , but IMDb requires ten lines and i am kinda drunk ,but who is not and trust me when i say this do not listen to the reviews, this is a good movie and a horror movie i have always wanted to watch in a long time, so take my word and watch this one it is really good and it feels good with a glass of hard liquor i mean you have to watch it late night and if you have a fireplace even better, because there is a fireplace in the movie and plus if you did not like this movie,,i would never leave a comment again,,so trust me and watch this one at night,i have to say it would really feel good to watch this movie at a snowy day when it is cold outside, have fun and do not forget the popcorn

This movie looked promising and I was excited about seeing it.

Honestly? This movie was a disappointment. I was expecting much better. It was dreadfully boring. Way too slow. And the action scenes when they did come didn't make p for the rest of the film.

Surprisingly a very interesting movie, brutal use of horror and realistic scare tactics. Made it a very enjoyable movie.