Top ten Movies from 2000

Tools    

Right. 12.
I see A-I on the 4th of July -- propitious occasion. The "New Yorker" reviewer hated it but said "go see it." My position: Even bad SF is worth seeing.
Love,
Jozie

1. Dancer in the Dark
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. Magnolia
4. Traffic
5. Erin Brockovich
6. Almost Famous
7. The Virgin Suicides
8. Chicken Run!
9. Anything but Gladiator
10. Anything but Gladiator

I'm sorry, but Gladiator was HORRIBLE! So overrated, and I HATE Russel Crowe.

Good choices, although I can't say I agree with Erin Brockovich. I think Gladiator is overrated as well...You and I are the only ones on this board, yo.

And Magnolia was 1999, btw.

Top 5:

1. Before Night Falls
2. Wonder Boys
3. Traffic
4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
5. Almost Famous

Then, in an order I can't decide, come the runners-up

Virgin Suicides (except I can't stand Kirsten Dunst)
High Fidelity
Oh Brother, Where Are Thou?
The Cell was really interesting
haven't seen Dancer, but I really want to...

Hey --

Nobody mentioned "Being John Malkovich" or "Topsy Turvey." I liked both of those.

Love,

Jozie

Those were 1999, cowboy.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
5. Traffic
4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Almost Famous
2. Gladiator
1. American Psycho

I have a new top ten of 2000. And they are:

10. Meet the Parents
9. Castaway
8. Wonder Boys
7. Best in Show
6. O Brother Where Art Thou
5. High Fidelity
4. Almost Famous
3. Traffic
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
1. Gladiator

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Have to say, that these are my favs, in no order

1. Gladiator
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. Crouching Tiger
4. Cast Away
5. Unbreakable

I saw traffic and hated it. The story was bouncy, which is what they were going for, but it hurt my eyes too much.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yo Steve --

Oops. Y'r right. My mistake.

Love,

Jozie

Here's my new top ten. It's probably the fourth or fifth time I've changed it, but that's the fun. But this one's final, I swear. I really, really do.

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. Dancer in the Dark
4. You Can Count on Me
5. Almost Famous
6. Wonder Boys
7. Traffic
8. O Brother Where Art Thou?
9. Before Night Falls
10. Bamboozled

5 Honorable Mentions:

Shadow of the Vampire
High Fidelity
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
The Cell
The Filth and the Fury

And while I'm at it, here's my 1999 list. Man I love movies.

1. Being John Malkovich
1. American Beauty
1. Three Kings
1. Magnolia
1. Fight Club
1. Eyes Wide Shut
(6-way tie)
7. The War Zone
8. Toy Story 2
9. Summer of Sam
10. Girl on the Bridge

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Looks like you covered em all... I'd have to say that Mystery, Alaska was a good movie though. As was Green Mile, and Bone Collector.

Glad to see that BEFORE NIGHT FALLS made it onto your list there, Steve. Furthermore, nice to know that MAGNOLIA has finally gotten the same approval from you as THREE KINGS (a great film, just not as great as MAGNOLIA to me).

Now that I've seen a few more '00 films, I can complete my 2000 list, with quite a few switcheroos:

1. BEFORE NIGHT FALLS
2. YOU CAN COUNT ON ME
3. WONDER BOYS
4. ALMOST FAMOUS
5. REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
6. TRAFFIC
7. CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
8. DANCER IN THE DARK
9. THE VIRGIN SUICIDES
10. OH BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

Which, obviously bumps down HIGH FIDELITY and other fun flicks like MEET THE PARENTS.

Oh I LIKED HiFidelity! That was such a really convincing and romantic way to say Iloveyou. (And of course I like JC too.) And the nutcakes were fun. So don't rub it out, please. Also I thought Ghost Dog was very touching and sad, even though I had completely forgotten it. (Yeah, speaks well, I know.)
But where is the really wonderful SF this year? (Or last year) A-I had good special effects, but it was just a cotton-candy unsubstantial thing. Didn't Phillip K Dick write anything else they could make a movie of? Somebody big had optioned it over and over and then . . . nada.
Better yet, I want movies that knock me down and drag me around some. Something I can remember for a long time
-- who needs vaporfilm like Fast and Furious! Waste of their money and mine!
Love,
Jozie

1. Unbreakable
2. Boiler Room
3. Ghost Dog
4. Requiem for a Dream
5. The Cell
6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
7. American Phsyco
8. X-Men
9. High Fidelity
10.Traffic

Horrible year for movies. Some of these ones I don't even like that much. 1999 was the best year in recent memory.

1. Unbreakable
2. Gladiator
3. Crouching Tiger
4. Beddazzled
5. Billy Elliot

I dont really think i got to see 10 truely good Films in 2000 but those are my favourite 5. I didnt like Meet the Parents though it made me cringe because it was just so mean to Gay Lord Fauker the poor poor man.

I didn't see ten movies in 2000. I can only think of about nine that I did and I would be ashamed to place them on a "top" list. Crouching Tiger was an amazing film and Traffic was all right. Okay, Gladiator was enetrtaining but still not good. Traffic was less than a memorable experience. Chuck and Buck was one of the worst experiences of my life (see my post on View Askew appreciation or countdown to Jay and Bob). Let's see... Enemy at the Gates: nice sets but one of the worst movies ever.Oh Brother Where Art Thou? was fun, funny but lacked older Coen magic, Meet the Parents was decent for Ben Stiller. Boiler Room was fluff. X-Men was entertaining, actually. My top 5:
1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. X-Men
4. Traffic
5. Gladiator
This is sad, look at this!

Then by all means, Jesus you should take the burdens off of all humanity and watch chuck and Buck for all eternity so that we can be saved and do not have to suffer.
Thank God for the masochists.