The Twin Peaks Thread

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Is the finale tonight?

I can't believe it's been four months since I didn't know it was premiering.

Edit:

Here's a neat little tribute from Brian Lee O'Malley:

Wow! I would say that finale was definitely a Lynch finale. I'm kinda blown away actually.
WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
It left a lot of unanswered questions, but I am sort of glad about it and if you know Lynch's work, it was kind of expected. I guess it leaves the door open for another season or slams it shut in a usual Lynch way. That scream might haunt me forever.

Hmm, it's been pointed out that the "final" episode could be seen as the first of a possible fourth season.

Goes to show how distant I've been.

So, that "what year is it?" means Coop f**ked up the timeline, right?

The past dictates the future, after all.

Okay, so I legit have not slept thanks to that ending.

F**k, Dave.

Hmm, I'm hearing this might get taken down from the ShowTime app soon. Hope not. I need to give this a second go around.

Might have been the best thing on TV this year.

My theory is that Coop successfully reversed the past, but got himself trapped in the process. So, I kind of assume that Twin Peaks is back to normal in a different verse, and Coop screwed himself in a new one. It's not a complete narrative cliffhanger like S2, insofar as S2's ending was a clear 'to be continued' moment. This just seemed like an aptly tragic and abstruse end.

It's been wild. I should wait for my freshly squeezed enthusiasm to taper off a bit, but, paired with the original run, this might be my favorite thing put on the screen. It's been so effectively versatile; hilarious, heartbreaking, disturbing, subtle, over the top. As much as resolution satisfies in the short term, I think this season's unpredictability is what made it so engaging and special.

I've read a few theories here and there (just a few hours after it ended!) and they all seem to agree, Coop prevents Laura's death but robs himself of porpuse in the process.

In an attempt to solve the mystery, the detective erases any to begin with. Sounds aptly Lynch-ian.

On of my favorite theories is that the characters have broken into our world (Audrey does so before Cooper and Laura and that explains the sudden distortion of her dance scene).

It's kind of nice that the last episode is set up in a way that the viewer can ignore it. Leave things ambiguous and hopeful.

To the question of how deep the mystery went, Lynch answered "how far are you willing to go?"

The guy with the green Hulk glove was totally Lynch giving superheroes a little s**t, right?

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
Well short answer from me: I think this is probably the most revolutionary Television programme to be aired in the last 20 years at least. I stop just short of decreeing it a "Golden age of television" but it's arguably a masterpiece. a true piece of art...

Here's my theory about the end.

Highlight below:

I think the events of this season have created 3 alternate realities (All three we have seen) Due to Dales events in episode 18 his attempt to "Save Laura" has created alternate realities and thats where we leave this show now...In universe 1; we have the original Twin peaks cast exactly where they were at the end of episode 17 only with one significant difference, due to his intervention in the FWWM segments Bob now doesnt kill Laura and due to green glove man, Bob as an entity has been destroyed from that timeline. meaning that Laura, Sarah and Leland now live a happy suburban life, and non of the murders happened, and in that reality Cooper is to the palmers just a dream. To the FBI he's a agent missing in action. The seed the one armed man turned into another cooper is now a clean cut, non gambling dougie jones for Janie and Sonny jim. this is the happy ending universe. Doppel coop never leaves the lodge and the events never unfold how we saw them originally.

In Universe 2: we see the twin peaks universe where Dougie coop either never snaps out of it or where Dale never gets out of the lodge. Doppel coop commits all the atrocities he ends up committing and ends up summoning Judy who effectively "Apocolypses" the world (As seen initially in episode 1). This is the Bad ending universe and surprisingly is quite short xD

Universe 3; is our Universe and this is where we find good Dale. in attempting to save Lauras life he's sacrificed his own. All his friends, relatives and any relationships he had are now gone. He most likely is no longer a member of the FBI, he may not even be classed as Dale cooper anymore (He may now be known as Richard in this universe) he finally gets the quite life he wanted, a version of Lauras even alive in this universe and while it seems she's had a quite rough time of things...its better than being dead...its come with a high price however at the cost of him losing everything all over again. There are no lodges, no wormholes, no paraphinalia here. no crazy over the top moments anymore. just a sleepy little town in the mountains where the trees look and smell amazing and theres always going to be a hot cup of coffee waiting in a diner somewhere for you.

Personally I consider this one of the most Bittersweet moments in television. its been a hell of a ride and it more than subverted my expectations...I genuinely believe this to me may be the greatest thing Lynch has ever done. I've never known any tv show leave me quite so shocked or reeling...a masterpiece. True art.

Anyone else see this?

René Magritte / David Lynch

I definitely see it @Saunch. In fact, while watching some of his work, I think of other surrealist painters, such as Remedios Varo.

Probably too far-fetched, but......

Wow. I'd never heard of Remedios. Thanks!

Probably too far-fetched, but......
Is that even possible with this show?

Is that even possible with this show?
I guess anything is possible. David Lynch is an avid painter and as such is probably very interested in other painters' work.

Part 8 is the best piece of television and, arguably, cinema of 2017.

Full stop.

Found this deleted scene gem online. It put a smile on my face. I wish the new season had a few warm moments like this.

كُنْ فَيَكُونُ
I've been rewatching season three (since getting the DVD that just came out) and ****** it's as good as I thought it was when I saw the premieres of it
So far up to episode 14 already

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I just came to say Twin Peaks is best series ever made, it's a completely different level, it's art!

The truth is in here
Miss Twin Peaks

There are two kind of races in this episode. The race to being crowned the new Miss Twin Peaks and the race against time when it comes to stopping Windom Earle from finalizing his plan.

The show in general has a very intense atmosphere most of the time, but here more-so than ever. Kenneth Welsh continues to play Windom Earle with demented brilliance, depicting a character who loves playing twisted mind games with his opponents so much he barely resembles human. Leo, who was the villain in earlier episodes of the series, makes the noblest sacrifice he's ever done. There's no doubt that he's been a real bastard, but he's learned his lesson at this point. Unsurprisingly, Windom really makes him pay for standing up against him.

At the station Cooper and Harry try to figure out Earle's next move, while Andy observes the cave painting on the blackboard instead. It's both amusing and stressful at the same time how Andy seems to have found an important clue, but no one stops to listen to him. I guess they're used to his other nonsense so much that they don't consider how he might have something more important to say this time. When he does get his say at the end it's practically almost too late. In true Twin Peaks fashion there's some lighthearted humor as well, such as when Ed announces to Nadine he's getting married to Norma right after she herself talked in rosy terms about her feelings for Mike. Even though Ed had already confessed several episodes ago he has feelings for Norma, it took this long for her to finally react to it in some way other than a shrug. Which of course only makes it funnier when he clenches Mike's fist while wishing Ed luck on new marriage with clenched teeth. There's also a darkly comic moment where it looks like Andrew suddenly is going to shoot Pete, but he actually was aiming for the silver box.

The highlight is of course the very climax. After a series of catwalks, dances and speeches, the winner is about to be announced. My bet was
WARNING: spoilers below
actually on Shelly at first since Leo was so worried about her safety, but after that speech delivered by Annie, I knew she was doomed. The flickering lights with Earle smiling evilly dressed in a Log Lady costume is one of the scariest things I've seen on the show.
The intensity and drama during this scene is impeccable.

The one thing I wish they would have done differently is give Catherine more of a poignant send-off. Her final scene is funny, but a little bit anticlimactic.

The brooding, dark tone combined with the sweatdrop-inducing suspense makes this is one of the most wellmade episodes in the series.

The truth is in here
It feels like no one's looking at this thread anymore, but I'll share my review anyway:

Twin Peaks - Beyond Life And Death

Last time, we saw Windom Earle infiltrating Miss Twin Peaks and kidnapping Annie Blackburne. Now it's up to Cooper and the others to stop him before he goes through with his horrible plan, and hopefully save Annie as well.

I was anxious about the final episode. The previous one didn't leave much hope for most of the characters, and I was almost terrified to see how it would end. And just like you'd expect, Twin Peaks doesn't save any punches. It starts off with Cooper, Andy and Harry trying to make any sense out of the map to The Black Lodge. Where exactly can it be found?

Before we get to the chase, we get to see how the side characters are doing. The subplots provide some nice levity before it gets serious.
Audrey handcuffs herself at a police station while pressuring the poor ol' Dell Mibbler to do as she says, in order to stop Ghostwood. Ed Wright was very funny as the nervous Dell, who looks positively scared for his life as Audrey orders him around, even though she can't really physically harm him.
The situation with Ed, Nadine and Mike has grown increasingly bizzarre
until Nadine finally wakes up from her hypnosis and feels like an adult again instead of an ecstatic high school teenager. You feel so bad for her when she's confused over why she's together with this tough-looking high school guy and why the hell Ed has now fallen for another woman. The most amusing part is when Mike admits that he probably let things get too out of hand.

With Dick out of the picture as Lucy has chosen who she wants to be the father to her baby, she and Andy finally have some time for themselves. As someone who never cared for the feud between Lucy and Andy, I'm glad to them starting to appreciate each other these last few episodes. The moment of truth when they simultaneously confess their life for each other and then reacting in shock over what just happened is funny and cute at the same time.

The third act is one of the most mesmerizing pieces of televison I've ever watched. Outside of glimpses seeing Harry looking after his partner, we're stuck with Cooper in The Black Lodge. And it's every bit as creepy as you would expect, if not more so. Michael J. Anderson returns as The Man From Another Place, and is once again a calmly intimidating presence. His mysterious eyes and strange appearance sells him as one of the most intriguing characters to be conceived. And just to unsettle us even more, we have appearances of Bob,
Leland
and a possibly possessed Laura Palmer. As we watch Cooper trying to understand this strange place, we're not sure if what we're seeing is real or if his eyes are playing tricks with him. It gets increasingly uncomfortable and intense,
until it's revealed that he didn't make it in time to save Annie. Even though I predicted it would happen, it's still devastatingly sad.
Kyle MacLachlan shows such a range of emotions without saying a single word, showing Cooper and his most vulnerable and disoriented. The scariest moment comes when an evil Cooper clone and Bob laugh together sadistically as he's driven insane.

Eventually he returns to the real world, with Harry and Will Hayward getting him back on his feet. When he's safe, he tells them "I need to brush my teeth.".
Cue the bathroom, where we see Dale squeezing toothpaste out of the tub with an iron grip, then suddenly banging his head against the mirror. He spookily turns towards the camera and tauntingly asks "How's Annie?" The real Cooper is still stuck in the Lodge...

With a lump in my throat, I popped the disc out. It left me struggling to think of what to say. If a finale leaves me not finding words for how effectful it was, you know it's done a damn good job of getting to me.