Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Never in a million years did I think I would watch women’s soccer, but it’s really good, at least at World Cup level. And so many fans. I had no idea.

Would love to watch England beat Oz in Sydney at the semis this week, but no way am I watching it at 6 a.m. Same for the final on Sunday when I will be getting ready for church. Annoying!

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Same for the final on Sunday when I will be getting ready for church. Annoying!
My favorite activity on a Sunday morning is being unconscious. I go to the Vigil Mass on Saturday. I'm a late sleeper.

My favorite activity on a Sunday morning is being unconscious. I go to the Vigil Mass on Saturday. I'm a late sleeper.
I always forget we have a Vigil Mass. We do have an 11.30 a.m. Sunday mass for late sleepers.

Yeah some of the games have been on too early for me, so either having a lie in on the weekend and I'm not giving up my lie in for football or too busy. So recorded a number of games and stayed away from anything that would give the score...

Thankfully Englands next game is on about 11am on Wednesday, so will be able to watch live.

This is a new thing about watching womens football that I'd never experienced before. In the penalty shootout between Nigeria and England, I think we were 2-1 up at the time, and I said, (out loud to absolutely no one as I was alone) something akin to "Well, you're very pretty but I'm afraid you're going to have to miss." I've watched a bit of womens football over the years (major tournaments and some of the WSL matches) but that was the first time in my life that their appearance made any difference to how I felt about them. Weird, but it did make me laugh at myself and observe a new experience.

Terrible performance last night for United. I wasn't confident of a top 4 finish and my kneejerk reaction to last night is to say I was right. We'll improve, I sure, but that midfield has to be sorted or learn how to operate better. Also, a forward is desperately needed.

Would love to watch England beat Oz in Sydney at the semis this week, but no way am I watching it at 6 a.m. Same for the final on Sunday when I will be getting ready for church. Annoying!
Good stuff. England off to the final.

Thankfully Englands next game is on about 11am on Wednesday, so will be able to watch live.
If only I could watch the final on Sunday at 11 a.m. It would be a perfect time for the East Coast here. Would love to watch a live game rather than You Tube’s highlights.

Well, we went from being one of the best at transfers to embarassing immatures. I know Edwards quit over power struggle with Klopp, which was a shame. But we need a good DOF again.

Apparently Edwards wanted to replace Hendo & Gini with Enzo & Guimaraes. Mind you we could have signed Enzo Fernandes for 15 million. Imagine that.

Anyways, Wataru Endo looks a good buy, & hopefully he sorts out the DM position with young Bajcetic.

I can see why the red card was given, though I don't want to see that given as a red card, as it looks like all six studs on the shin.

Another misfiring performance from United, can anybody head a ball? Rashford looks even less comfortable up front this season than he did last, which is going some. I understand he wants to play Garnacho out wide, but he's not performing there at the moment and it's Rashford's best position, so play him there and get the most out of him. The midfield is still not working and doesn't look like it's going to anytime soon (is Casemiro as unfit as he looks? He doesn't look like he's done a pre-season?) so for now I'd put Mount out on the right, in place of Anthony, and play McTominay alongside Casemiro as we've sold Fred. Amrabat can't come soon enough, if he comes at all. I'd put Rashford on the left and, say it quietly, I might play Sancho up front as a false 9 type forward. I feel slightly dirty for having even suggested a false 9, but that's how desperate we look up front until we can see what Hojlund can do. If he's not back until after the international break in September, he's going to be walking into a world of pain at United unless he scores that first game or two, if we don't sign another striker and turn the form/performances around, which is the last thing you want to do to a young striker who's made such a big step up. Again, it might be a knee jerk reaction, and last season after two games we were in a worse position, but it feels really bad at the moment. Hopefully the new players settle in quickly and we can start stringing some results together to build the confidence to knit them into a team.

A quick word on the Women's World Cup final, it was a pretty good game, especially for a final, but I think the result was the most likely with Spain winning 1-0. I don't know what the bookies were offering but I guess those were the shortest odds unless the money was overwhelming for England. At the elite level it's all about small margins and they just had enough of them go their way to make the difference. It was a tough watch, especially as an England fan, as you knew Spain would have the vast amount of possession and it'll be up to England to hit on the counter and take the chances when they fell to them and it's that second part which just didn't happen today.

A quick word on the Women's World Cup final, it was a pretty good game, especially for a final, but I think the result was the most likely with Spain winning 1-0. I don't know what the bookies were offering but I guess those were the shortest odds unless the money was overwhelming for England. At the elite level it's all about small margins and they just had enough of them go their way to make the difference. It was a tough watch, especially as an England fan, as you knew Spain would have the vast amount of possession and it'll be up to England to hit on the counter and take the chances when they fell to them and it's that second part which just didn't happen today.
Dang!

Where do you even start with this? Not that I'm surprised by the acts, but this latest twist is something else.

Luis Rubiales: Spanish football federation will take legal action over Jennifer Hermoso 'lies'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66626410

Ha ha, I’m at Red Bull Arena for the Red Bulls-Miami match and Messi isn’t in the lineup for Miami. Lotta disappointed Messi fans out here.

Ha ha, I’m at Red Bull Arena for the Red Bulls-Miami match and Messi isn’t in the lineup for Miami. Lotta disappointed Messi fans out here.
He came on as a sub and, no surprise, scored a goal. It was a weird atmosphere, though, more like a Beatles concert than a football match.

Messi is single-handedly forcing me to follow MLS. I am not watching their games, but watching highlights of their team.

As for my team, what a mad, mad game. Only Liverpool know how to do that.

Trent's first yellow was down to new rules but rather stupid. Gordon literally pushed him. However, Trent should have got the second yellow & the Red. Ref bottled it.
Van Dijk's was a clear Red. Can't understand Carra's mental gymnastics around it.

Joelington not getting booked for a series of fouls was baffling. Howe going defensive against ten men was daft. Barnes being selfish was brilliant for us. Could have killed the game.

We remained in the game, because we defended well & because we have a World Class Goalkeeper. Probably the best. He does that in every game.

Klopp made top subs. Elliott was brilliant, & Jota showed why he is regarded as such a smart player. Nunez doing Nunez things. Class finishes on both, but he probably would have missed them if they were easy chances.

There's a reason why Klopp prefers Gakpo over him. But fairplay to the Uruguayan yesterday. I hope he gets more starts.

I really hope we sign a CB, considering Konate has muscles issues regularly.

Where do you even start with this? Not that I'm surprised by the acts, but this latest twist is something else.

Luis Rubiales: Spanish football federation will take legal action over Jennifer Hermoso 'lies'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66626410
As a woman, this entire thing is so dumb IMO. He kissed her. Big deal.

As a woman, this entire thing is so dumb IMO. He kissed her. Big deal.
Interesting. I kind of get where you're coming from, but you don't see sexual assault as a big deal?

FTR, I don't think for a minute that's the case, I'm just asking because that's what it was and if we take it from there, then is it ok for anyone to kiss anyone on the lips as and when they feel like it?

Interesting. I kind of get where you're coming from, but you don't see sexual assault as a big deal?

FTR, I don't think for a minute that's the case, I'm just asking because that's what it was and if we take it from there, then is it ok for anyone to kiss anyone on the lips as and when they feel like it?
How can you ask me if I don’t see sexual assault as a big deal? I’m not even gonna answer that.

The guy made a mistake. I see no need to crucify him. He’ll never do it again.