Favorite Directors

Tools    

A decent list.
I'd add Tarantino and the Coen brothers.
Their storylines and characters are always great.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Frank Capra, Elia Kazan, Stanley Kubrick, Akira Kurosawa, John Huston, Billy Wilder, Robert Altman, John Cassavetes, Ingmar Bergman, Paul Mazursky, Ingmar Bergman, Sidney Lumet... I'll have to give Fellini an "Honorable Mention" for "La Strada"

Some of my favourite directors: Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Ingmar Bergman, Stanley Kubrick, Quentin Tarantino, Federico Fellini, Woody Allen, Akira Kurosawa, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Pedro Almodóvar, William Wyler, Francis Ford Coppola, Billy Wilder, Jean-Luc Godard, Wes Anderson, the Coens, Tim Burton, Robert Altman.

Kubrick, Fincher, PTA, Coen, Hitchcock, Lynch

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Martin Scorsese
Steven Spielberg
Clint Eastwood
James Cameron
Christopher Nolan
Quentin Tarantino
David Fincher
Joel Coen
Ethan Coen
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
Tim Burton
Wes Anderson
Oliver Stone
Damien Chazelle
Denis Villeneuve
Alejandro Gonzalez
Robert Zemeckis
Ron Howard
Edward Zwick

P.T. Anderson

Bong Joon-ho

Wong Kar-wai
Park Chan-wook

Stanley Kubrick

Francis Ford Coppola
Sergio Leone
Woody Allen

David Lynch
Rob Reiner

Brian De Palma

John Hughes

Mel Brooks
Sidney Lumet
Roman Polanski

Don Siegel
Richard Donner
Franklin Schaffner

David Lean
John Sturges
Mike Nichols
David Cronenberg
Ingmar Bergman

Federico Fellini

Werner Herzog

Akira Kurosawa

Andrei Tarkovsky
Alfred Hitchcock
Orson Welles

Frank Capra
Charlie Chaplin

Too much???? 🤔

Hayao Miyazaki
Wong Kar-Wai
Coen Brothers
Billy Wilder
Ernst Lubitsch
Jacques Tourneur
Jean-Pierre Melville
Sergio Leone
Hal Ashby
Martin Scorsese
Wes Anderson

People who could possibly make this list if I saw more of their movies:

Krzysztof Kieślowski
Eric Rohmer
Sidney Lumet
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Lee Chang-Dong

Fincher

Stanley Kubrick
RW Fassbinder
John Cassavetes
Carl Theodore Dreyer
Robert Altman
Dario Argento
Quentin Tarantino
Jean Pierre Melville
Jean Luc Godard
Michelangelo Antonioni
Allan King
The Maysles Brothers
Alfred Hitchcock

The Best of the Best

Spielberg
- He may be too commercial for your taste. He may have made too many films for normies and kids (i.e., the market). So what? He's still the best. And we all know it. Nothing touches his body of work. You can whine in your film snob voice about French New Wave or some Japanese director who only worked in in black and white using camera angles that always reveal the Golden Ratio or whatever wine-tasting jibber-jab floats your boat. Doesn't matter. Spielberg is King.

Coen Bros. - Definitely their own flavor, but capable of goofball comedy along with tragedy, often in the same film and scene and to great effect. They're legit artists with the ability to reach the masses. Their films have their own feel and flavor (in a good way).

The Nope Zone

Tarantino - His best film was Pulp Fiction which is admittedly a singularly great film. Then again, Shyamalan knocked it out of the park with the 6th Sense. He has, however, suffered a severe case of "head-up-my-own-ass" syndrome which has marred his work, especially after the passing of his editor. His obsession with feet and revenge plots wears thin quickly. I'll always watch a Tarantino film, but the man is more of a talented autist using cinema as a meme-generator of films of yore than a leading light.

My favorites are Kathryn Bigelow and Nicolas Wining Refn.

I love the weight Bigelow gives to the violence in her movies. I think Hollywood is a bit too in love with the aesthetic of violence, especially folks like Quentin Tarantino. Kat's movies focus so uncomfortably on it, like in Near Dark, Strange Days and Zero Dark Thirty. It's refreshing in a way.

My favorite thing about Refn is how he uses his skills at crafting a scene using light and color and all the tools of the craft to create the emotion, instead of getting his characters to emote it. His silent characters are never shown acting the way you see in other movies, where people cry and shout and do all that emoting. Refn instead has these characters remain blank, so that whatever emotion is created by the scene has to be resolved within each audience member, instead of being given the right reaction by the actors.

My favorites are Kathryn Bigelow and Nicolas Wining Refn.

I love the weight Bigelow gives to the violence in her movies. I think Hollywood is a bit too in love with the aesthetic of violence, especially folks like Quentin Tarantino. Kat's movies focus so uncomfortably on it, like in Near Dark, Strange Days and Zero Dark Thirty. It's refreshing in a way.

My favorite thing about Refn is how he uses his skills at crafting a scene using light and color and all the tools of the craft to create the emotion, instead of getting his characters to emote it. His silent characters are never shown acting the way you see in other movies, where people cry and shout and do all that emoting. Refn instead has these characters remain blank, so that whatever emotion is created by the scene has to be resolved within each audience member, instead of being given the right reaction by the actors.
Near Dark doesn't get enough love. 2nd best vampire flick of all time.

Two of my favorites:

Network
Dog Day Afternoon
12 Angry Men
Serpico
Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
Murder on the Orient Express

------------------------------------------------------

Sideways
The Descendants
Election
Nebraska