Movie of the Month - Take Shelter (November 2017)

Tools    

I didn't think the ending was a dream sequence, although it definitely had some metaphorical significance. It just wasn't presented the way the other dream sequences were. The other dream sequences were all obvious that they were dreams, and they had surreal aspects. The ending didn't have anything that indicated it was a dream. I think it was a real hurricane. Perhaps the hurricane at the end was the real threat, even more-so than the first storm he built his shelter for, and he finally had full understanding with his family. The ending was everything coming around to full completion.

I like ambiguous endings, but I wouldn't really consider the ending to Take Shelter ambiguous. It ended with him and his family finally being prepared and facing the storm.

I like ambiguous endings, but I wouldn't really consider the ending to Take Shelter ambiguous. It ended with him and his family finally being prepared and facing the storm.
I've started writing up a larger interpretation of the ending, but it's getting long so I'm going to fuse it with a few other things too.

But I wanted to say that I agree with this part at the very least; that the family is prepared to take on the storm is not very ambiguous, the ambiguity is about what "facing the storm" means. Yoda put it better than I did in the podcast that either way the ending is the look that the couple shares.

I didn't realise ambiguous could simply mean, having a double meaning. I thought it meant being unclear. But anyway, before Yoda mentioned a possible alternate meaning for the ending, I never even thought about it. I just saw the ending as natural and conclusive. I don't like to read into things too much.

HEAVY spoilers (as in, not just the interpretation of a single scene, rather my interpretation of the entire film; while I still think the movie isn't "spoiled" by knowing the ending scene, this basically summarizes most of the film).
WARNING: "Spooilers" spoilers below
I'll start by saying 1) As Yoda pointed out in the podcast, the actual "ending" is the family being prepared, and either interpretation ends with that resolve amongst the family; as such, the movie still "makes sense" with either interpretation. 2) I wouldn't say that the film itself guarantees one or the other so I wouldn't say anyone is "clearly" right or wrong. Even if Nichols came out and said that his intent was that it was obviously a dream (or obviously wasn't) it wouldn't change my view or bolster it (unless he provided textual evidence and an argument), but I also lean "death of the author" when it comes to interpretation.

As you might have guessed by that last sentence, my interpretation has more to do with what would make (IMO) a better/more cohesive film rather than only what the last scene looks like.

If the storm is real, the film is about a prophet (of sorts) who is driven into an anxious madness over his visions of the future. He initially mistakes these visions for signs of mental illness until he grows convinced that they are real. The people around him are made uncomfortable because of his certainty and their lack of faith in his conviction. The storms in his dreams are direct foresight rather than metaphor.

If the storm is a dream, the film is about a man with the approaching onset of mental illness. His anxiety about the looming problem turns his subconscious against him, giving him dreams of a supernatural storm beyond his understanding. He initially believes these dreams and hallucinations to be signs of his mental illness, but the more he comes to understand the scope of what that'd mean, he'd actually PREFER that it was a prophetic vision. He begins to take the visions literally, hoping that he's actually not going to have to go through that personal hell.

I think the dream interpretation sits better with the film as a whole. Additionally, some individual dreams don't really make sense to me if it's an actual storm; specifically the ones where people turn against him.

I'm gonna two birds one-stone this by including some of the stuff that got cut that Yoda mentioned earlier in the topic.

There's the dream where he's driving his truck in the heavy rain and crashes, and then is attacked by strangers while his daughter is taken. I interpreted this as his fear that the mental illness would mean being considered an unfit parent and him being separated from his daughter. Under the "real storm" scenario, I don't know why he'd have this dream? Unless the storm also drives people crazy? I suppose it was already set-up to be supernatural, but that doesn't exactly seem like a great fit.

The dream where his wife attacks him makes sense if the storm is a metaphor for mental illness. I interpret that as his subconscious telling him that at some point his wife will fear him to the point that even she'd turn against him. Again, I don't know why he'd have this dream if he was just a prophet with visions of a supernatural storm.

Before coming around to the idea that the storm was a metaphor for his mental illness, I didn't know what to make of the way that people turned against him. But after, I think of it as a pretty apt analogy. Especially how it seems odd that in these sort of super storms, he's being attacked rather than people focusing on the storm. It feels like he's being blamed for the storm, and I think in the context of those dreams he (rightly) feels like he's a victim too, and is confused and hurt that people are blaming him for the storm. This also doubles as an analogy for people with mental illness wanting to be separated from the illness and not having it replace their identity; it's not that people fear Curtis, who is still a kind and good man, it's that they fear the illness, they fear the storm. But he's concerned about the association between him and the illness/storm becoming so strong that other people can't distinguish between the two. And I think that's a really strong lesson.

I suppose that a hybrid interpretation could be introduced; that the storm is a manifestation of his fear come to life through some sort of latent psychic power of his (similar to Sphere) so the metaphorical meaning of the storm remains more or less intact while the ending is still a "real" storm. I don't think anyone would typically come away with that interpretation, but I could see an argument for it. Other than that I think that making the storm "real" takes away from the mental illness plot. Although, I suppose that even "real" prophetic visions could count to some as a mental illness if they cause this amount of distress, but at the very least it'd make the mental illness plot less relatable.

I think overall, it's very possible to get the intended sense of peace that the ending should give you (in the face of either an incredible storm or the onset of mental illness) and that's the important part. But I do think the movie as a whole really sits better with the more metaphorical ending. At least for me!

I just saw the ending as natural and conclusive. I don't like to read into things too much.
That's probably the difference, I love that sort of thing. The cool thing with this movie is that the feeling the ending seems to intend sticks either way.

Ah man, I forgot to mention my very favorite part about the ending too. Which has grown and grown in the back of my mind and has kinda become one of my favorite moments in all film too. But I'm on a phone now.

I'll edit it into here when I get home.

Forgot the Affliction stuff too, though if you've seen both you probably know where I'm going with that.

WARNING: spoilers below
The interpretation that the ending is a dream or merely a metaphor and not a real storm or actual event may be plausible, but there are more important questions than, “Does this make sense?” The questions you should be asking are, “How does the film interpret itself?” And, “What makes the most sense?” This is something I was taught in university. I studied theology, so I had to do a lot of word studies, language studies, ancient literature, philosophy, research, and logic. This is what they always tell us to do when we are looking for the interpretation of a work. For example, to interpret Biblical prophecy we look at instances in the Bible where it interprets itself. So in this case, does it make more sense if it’s a dream, if it’s real, if it’s a metaphor, or if it’s intentionally ambiguous? What I’ve noticed is that after a lot of movies like this, movies that are intelligent and make you think, people come up with theories about whether the character is crazy, dreaming, or whether it’s a metaphor and other such things. It was the same with The Last Wave. Yoda looks up the theories that people have and likes to talk about them, but personally I don’t like to give much weight to them. I look at how the movie interprets itself to find out how I should interpret it. So look at how it treats dreams and ask yourself if it’s treating the ending the same way. The other dreams use shadows, light, and shaky cameras to give the visual sense that it is a dream, and they also show people appearing out of seemingly nowhere the way they can in real dreams. They use loud noises coming from strange places and events that can't be physically possible. I don’t think it treats the ending in the way it treats the other dreams in the movie, so on that basis I rule out it being a dream. The problem with the metaphor theory is that at no other point in the movie does it do anything that is merely metaphorical and not an actual event. The dreams aside, the entire narrative is presented as actual events, so is there anything in the ending to indicate that it is different from the other actual events of the film? I can’t see any indicator that it’s a metaphor. To me it is pretty obvious that it’s an actual event, but I have been wrong before. The last thing I would do if I wanted more answers is turn to interviews. We can google interviews and reviews, and watch them and look for some points where they talk about the ending. I don’t really feel like doing that just for the sake of this discussion, but that could at least offer more insight.

What makes the most sense to me is that it’s an actual event, and it has metaphorical significance. That duality would technically qualify as ambiguity.

When you contrasted some scenarios from the perspectives of it being a real storm versus a dream at the end, and you didn’t mention some aspects of the dreams from the perspective of a real storm. If it’s a real storm that doesn’t mean that he isn’t mentally ill the whole time. So the fears about being separated from his family and everyone turning against him relate to his subconscious fears about how people don’t believe him and think that he’s mentally ill. It makes more sense that it’s a real storm because that duality is there throughout the entire movie. Your confusion seems to lie in your idea that if it's a real storm that implies he wasn't mentally ill the whole time.

Actually there was something I wanted to say about his mental illness. I really liked how a lot went on unspoken. He wasn't a talker and he struggled with expressing himself, and I really felt like the audience was put under the same kind of restraints as him. I detected fear of being labelled mentally ill, and uncertainty about mental illness. He knew what he was experiencing, and he knew his own mind, but what he didn’t know was what mental illness really was and how other people would treat him. At least early on there was a sense that he might not be mentally ill, but that people were making that assumption because his premonition and behavior seemed crazy to them. So he wasn't sure if he agreed with the people who were pushing him in the direction of accepting that he was mentally ill. Then as the problem grew he tried to hide from it, deny it, and resist its hold on his life through sheer force of willpower.

For the record, I think the ending is not real. But I also think the debate as to whether it is real or not is entirely missing the point. More than anything, it's a thematic resolution, and it's a powerful one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Why are spoiler tags being used in a thread devoted to a free discussion of a film which has already been freely discussed in a podcast?

For the record, I think the ending is not real. But I also think the debate as to whether it is real or not is entirely missing the point. More than anything, it's a thematic resolution, and it's a powerful one.
I disagree that debating it misses the point, but that kinda has to do with my feelings about ambiguity in interpretation. I like films (or games like Beginner's Guide, books like Pale Fire) that have ambiguity in the "what" of a story (the literal events that are occurring) when unraveling the "what" also causes you to uncover symbolic meaning.

For example, even though I take the dream route, I think I'd actually end up with a lesser post-viewing experience if the final scene transitioned to Curtis peacefully sleeping with a smile on his face (or some other clear signal that it was a dream). Because the ending didn't seem clear and I wanted to piece the literal story together, I needed to use a symbolic interpretation to help me along. (Another example could feasibly be Lost, which tried to hook people into the "what" of their story to actually tell stories about the character arcs...but then the "what" of the story became somewhat frustrating and worked against the characters)

Though I could see debating to the end that only one way is the absolute correct way would be probably missing the point. Because the themes of the film will largely exist in either way, with some slight changes of emphasis. But I don't think either Zotis or I are going that far, so it's all good, and I like what Zotis is sayin'. I appreciate it.

Anyway, I do have to mention one more aspect of the ending because it's been sitting in my head in the weeks after seeing the film, and I just really like the idea (correct or not). If dreamt, when Curtis sees the resolve on his wife's face, it's not actually his wife, it's his belief in the wife. He's formed enough trust in the bond with his wife that his subconscious (the very thing that's been plaguing him the whole movie, uncontrollable, paranoid, and violent) is brought to peace. I like it because there's often a disconnect between the audience and the character in the film; we can tell how dedicated and sincere the wife is toward Curtis, but he doesn't. In dreaming, we actually see his nervous center of gravity calmed, and as someone who can lose myself in my anxious intuitions, when I have trouble reassuring myself even though logically, I know it'll be okay...well, I just really connected with that idea.

Sometimes I get incredibly nervous about the future, and at some point I break down to someone I trust. My intuition is always convinced that the person will distance themselves as a way to damage control, but it's always been wrong, and what's even more heartening than the fact that I know I'll be okay is the fact that I actually feel okay.

It's really hard to show someone feeling a sense of peace rather than telling you that the character feels peace, but they did it.

And the Affliction connections are like how the films are both about anxiety, projection, and inherited emotional tendencies, and stuff blah blah I'm up too late gn

Re: the credits song that @Slappydavis rants about a bit in the podcast (justifiably so). This didn't occur to me until I was editing the podcast, but it reminds me of The Edge (great movie!). It ends on a fairly poignant note, and the music swells accordingly...and then the very first credit is something like:

Special Thanks to Bart the Bear

Takes you right out of the moment. Especially since the bear in question is deeply scary and disturbing throughout the film, and the bear playing the character (is that even how you would describe a bear on screen? I don't know) could not have a less intimidating name.

Hey guys. new here, going to watch the movie. Where can I find previous threads about movie of the month to catch up. also, where can I ask for movie recommendations.

Hey guys. new here, going to watch the movie.
Welcome!

Where can I find previous threads about movie of the month to catch up.
Generally, you can just click the magnifying glass in the header (next to your avatar, beneath Movies/Essays), and then type "month" and a bunch will come up. But here's a list of recent ones:

also, where can I ask for movie recommendations.
Depends on how specific, but usually, you'll want to start a thread in General Movie Discussion with a moderately descriptive title and list some films you like to give people guidance.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
gratuitous bump. i still havent seen this - want to watch it first

This movie was awesome. Nice plot and nice delivery especially the horror touch to the movie.

This movie was awesome. Nice plot and nice delivery especially the horror touch to the movie.
This is great news to read

I just listened to this podcast and I enjoyed it a lot. Good job, guys.

I was looking back through my movie journal and was reminded of how good a year 2011 was for movies for me, and yet I might rank Take Shelter as my favorite movie of the year. I watched it a few times but all within the first couple months of its release on DVD, so I haven't seen it in nearly six years, but what I remember responding to at the time was not that it was a movie about mental illness, but that the mental illness was being used as a means of exploring a deeper theme of existential anxiety or apprehension. That was what I responded to and was what I connected to on a very personal level. Anxiety about what? Perhaps anxiety about our place in the world, the future of the world, the health of the planet... It's very much an emotional response, and what makes the movie so great is every one who sees it can fill in their own particular anxiety, but in my mind I was responding to the anxiety of imagining what might be coming for all of humanity if the balance of nature is upset.

Anyhow, again good job on the podcast.

I watched it when it first came out being a big Shannon fan and thought it was a beautifully made movie, but didn't enjoy it a great deal. I was expecting something completely different to be honest, second time around I enjoyed it a whole lot more and more really appreciated Chastain, what a performance. The ending is brilliant I think any ending that keeps you wondering is masterful, I'm guessing it was supposed to be left to the viewers own interpretation and I'm still undecided. I'll listen o the podcast at some point and will certainly be watching it for a third time.

I cant believe I have zero recollection of this thread. Bizarre.

OK this really seems like my type of movie after reading through the thread. I still have to watch it first but many thanks for the well mannered use of spoiler tags. Nice to know netiquette does actually still exist. You guys must be old!!!

Only joking, but thanks.

I did see this movie & I did enjoy it. But, to tell you the truth, I cannot remember a single thing from the movie. A good movie for me is one that I see more than once (and I’ve seen some dozens of times), but this movie did not fall into that category for me.