Oscars for Best Action Movie

Tools    

MovieForums Extra

There's been much talk of the academy awards actually going to a movie other than a drama, and that perhaps action flicks deserve an oscar or three...

So I propose we have our own forum award called a racsO, where we can nominate best pictures, vote for them, and most of all, anything goes...comedies, action movies, Arnold Shwarzenegger and so on

So, for the racsO for best action movie, I nominate the following:

- Rambo: First Blood
- Terminator
- Lethal Weapon
- Die Hard

What's a "racsO"?

I think Indiana Jones (any of them), Star Wars (any of them), and either Terminator movie would all be movies worthy of Best Picture.

MovieForums Extra

Good nominations

A rascO is just Oscar spelled backwards

MovieForums Extra

oops, that was a mis-type, it's supposed to be racsO

Ooh, what a great thread!

Those four you likst Zeph are all awesome. I'd also add Predator though, as that's a great film and a classic action film.

Are we going to include a separate "War" category? Otherwise the action section would get split by such classics as Platoon.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I would say T2, or Die Hard.

But if I had my way it would be Starship Troopers.

Ahh, Lethal Weapon, bless you. I adore those films. I, sheepishly, own every single one of Mel Gibson's films. It's a sad, sad sight.

The Matrix was alright. It deserves something for the "Woah, cool, look at that," factor.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by OllieO
Are we going to include a separate "War" category? Otherwise the action section would get split by such classics as Platoon.
Arn't war movies already included? Weren't both Saving Private Ryan and the Thin Red Line both nominated?

Terminator 2.

MovieForums Extra

I think that a lot of the "classic" war movies like Platoon were already nominated for mainstream Oscars, so they probably don't count for a racsO award which is to aknowledge the unaknowledged By the way, did Platoon get any Oscars??

As far as I know, Saving Private Ryan got five Oscars in 1999, but I could very well be mistaken. And the Thin Red Line got a lot of nominations, it was one hell of a movie (a bit on the "heavy" side if you know what I mean)!

What about the racsO for Best Comedy? I nominate the following:

- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- Dumb and Dumber
- Ace Ventura
- ahh what the hell, almost all of Carey's movies!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yes PooPoo, yes!!

Terminator 2 all the way. I love that movie. I really do. I have seen it so many times (haven't counted) and every time is like the first time. Sigh. That's a rare one.
______
*tear of joy runs down thmilin's face*

MovieForums Extra

Actually guys (and gals), I think that the first Terminator was better than the second...

SPOILERS BELOW!!

I find the plot of the second one a bit complicated and illogical. In the first movie a robot is sent from the future to kill the Sarah Connor whose son would grow up to lead the rebellion against the machines - that's fair enough. The robot is destroyed, and the only things that remain of it (in the second movie) are the hand and the CPU. Based on this, the smart robots are created and they start the battle against humanity, therefore making them send Arnie back into the past to kill the leader of the rebellion, and the whole cycle is repeated again...it's a real mind twister, you wonder if they hadn't sent the robot back in the past, would the machines have been made in the at all?? HELP!

That's the problem with time travel Zeph: everyone has their own ideas of how it works in the movies...and all have some kind of problems we can't work out.

Anyway, what do ya'll think about holding some kind of yearly survey once the site has expanded a bit? It'd be a simple form...It'd be used to determine the "MovieForums Awards", or something like that.

The thing that would make it interesting would be new categories...kind of like MTV's Video Music Awards: best villain, best kiss, best onscreen duo, things like that.

?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
sounds great chris ...

as for T2 -- just because the premise is complicated doesn't mean it's not as good. the plot itself is pretty straight forward ....

SPOILERS ...

Hero mother is locked up in an insane asylum; rebellious son is the future savior of the world but is having growing pains; the struggle between accepting and fearing AI and technology that can (and to some extent, already has) wipe out the need for humans (in some areas - for instance, current machines have long since replaced human production because of our large margin of error); the hope factor feeding on human fears of apocalypse and our desire to survive; human recognition of our destructive and self-destructive tendencies which have found a horrific and dangerous marriage with science and technology

what with all that, the plot we all know and love isn't terribly hard to grasp.

sure, there are the hang-ups over the time travelling and the evidence left over to make the Arnie and then the T1000, but the sense I got was that whether they'd found evidence or not they would have developed the technology eventually (as they later did). They just developed it earlier because, having messed with time (those in the future) they have sent back something from the future which will now leave a residue (evidence) and effect things it should never have been messing with in the first place.

I forgot the name of the guy who worked with the chips and stuff, but as he said himself, they needed the evidence to jump "light-years" in their research. those light years are just time; the future is where that stuff gets developed and it would have gotten developed ANYWAY ... so if the original prototype had been completely demolished and there was no evidence whatsoever, 1) if time is random, they would have developed the technology eventually somehow, sooner or later at no specific time 2) if time is preset and not random and there's a schedule to things, they would have just developed it at the original time/date they would have in the world of the future.

T1 1 was better

MovieForums Extra

Ok, I accept that they would have developed the technology eventually to make such smart machines, but it would be nowhere near the life-span that it took for the rebellios son to grow up a few years and head the rebellion in the first place...it would be a much more distant future, like thr guy said, the hand and the CPU were needed to make a "light-year" leap, and so the machines wouldn't have to send back Arnie so far back...

The thing is that basically, Arnie and the T1000 were developed on the basis of the robot being sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor's son, and if you really think about it, it comes down to the chicken and the egg paradox

Cheers!

sounds great chris ...

as for T2 -- just because the premise is complicated doesn't mean it's not as good. the plot itself is pretty straight forward ....

SPOILERS ...

Hero mother is locked up in an insane asylum; rebellious son is the future savior of the world but is having growing pains; the struggle between accepting and fearing AI and technology that can (and to some extent, already has) wipe out the need for humans (in some areas - for instance, current machines have long since replaced human production because of our large margin of error); the hope factor feeding on human fears of apocalypse and our desire to survive; human recognition of our destructive and self-destructive tendencies which have found a horrific and dangerous marriage with science and technology

what with all that, the plot we all know and love isn't terribly hard to grasp.

sure, there are the hang-ups over the time travelling and the evidence left over to make the Arnie and then the T1000, but the sense I got was that whether they'd found evidence or not they would have developed the technology eventually (as they later did). They just developed it earlier because, having messed with time (those in the future) they have sent back something from the future which will now leave a residue (evidence) and effect things it should never have been messing with in the first place.

I forgot the name of the guy who worked with the chips and stuff, but as he said himself, they needed the evidence to jump "light-years" in their research. those light years are just time; the future is where that stuff gets developed and it would have gotten developed ANYWAY ... so if the original prototype had been completely demolished and there was no evidence whatsoever, 1) if time is random, they would have developed the technology eventually somehow, sooner or later at no specific time 2) if time is preset and not random and there's a schedule to things, they would have just developed it at the original time/date they would have in the world of the future.
Agreed...the premise is a little complex, but once it gets going, T2 is one of the greatest cinematic roller coaster rides. I would also count it among those very rare sequels that are better than the original.