Please tell me what kind of laptop you use.

Tools    

I’m in the market for one. Doesn’t have to be anything special like the Apple Air. Just give me the brand name & I’ll see what comes up here. THANKS!

So depending on what you want to use it for, I'll make a soft sales pitch for a Chromebook. I'm currently using an Acer. They charge quickly, excellent battery duration, very lightweight.

So depending on what you want to use it for, I'll make a soft sales pitch for a Chromebook. I'm currently using an Acer. They charge quickly, excellent battery duration, very lightweight.
Good, good, good. Been looking at Acer on Amazon.

Not using it for anything special. As long as it works will be fine. Don’t need anything fancy & not spending $1k for Apple.

Good, good, good. Been looking at Acer on Amazon.

Not using it for anything special. As long as it works will be fine. Don’t need anything fancy & not spending $1k for Apple.
So I don't want to be patronizing if you already know the deal with chromebooks, but they are web-browser based laptops. If you use any software (like Photoshop or something) that has to be downloaded and run, you can't do that on a Chromebook. But you can use it for anything that is web-based. Another slight downside to a Chromebook is that generally speaking the camera doesn't tend to be as great. You can do Google Meet or Zoom on a Chromebook, but if you do a lot of videocalls you might want to pay attention to what reviews say about the camera.

So I don't want to be patronizing if you already know the deal with chromebooks, but they are web-browser based laptops. If you use any software (like Photoshop or something) that has to be downloaded and run, you can't do that on a Chromebook. But you can use it for anything that is web-based. Another slight downside to a Chromebook is that generally speaking the camera doesn't tend to be as great. You can do Google Meet or Zoom on a Chromebook, but if you do a lot of videocalls you might want to pay attention to what reviews say about the camera.
Don’t need a laptop for zoom or anything like that.

I'm also using an acer Chromebook and it works fine for me.
I’m confused. Is an Acer the same as a Chromebook?

Don’t need a laptop for zoom or anything like that.

I’m confused. Is an Acer the same as a Chromebook?
Acer is the brand name. Chromebook is the type of computer it is. A Chromebook uses Chrome Operating System, which is different from the Microsoft Windows or the Apple/Mac operating system. There are different brands of Chromebooks available.

Acer is the brand name. Chromebook is the type of computer it is. A Chromebook uses Chrome Operating System, which is different from the Microsoft Windows or the Apple/Mac operating system. There are different brands of Chromebooks available.
Yup!

I'm using an Acer, and my last Chromebook was an Acer. I also had a HiSense in my classroom and it worked really well.

Yeah, if you're not looking for a full-on desktop replacement some level of Chromebook is almost definitely the way to go. They have really nice ones, too, but it's pretty great to get something for $200-300 which lets you browse easily and is super lightweight.

Yeah, if you're not looking for a full-on desktop replacement some level of Chromebook is almost definitely the way to go. They have really nice ones, too, but it's pretty great to get something for $200-300 which lets you browse easily and is super lightweight.
Will go check out Chromebooks. Would never have thought of this.

I have a Gateway with a 17 inch screen I bought at Walmart for about $1,000.
If I were spending this much, I would definitely buy an Apple product.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
If I were spending this much, I would definitely buy an Apple product.
The laptop I have is considered to be a budget gaming computer. That's why it cost so much. At times I wish I had bought something cheaper because I rarely play games on it. But it's there if I want to.

I'm afraid none of my recommendations would be of interest, I tend to do everything different...But from what others have said...and from what it sounds like Stirch's requirement needs are, she'd be best suited by a Chromebook.

I'd go with the mentioned brand Acer. I have a Lenovo laptop but someone else in my house has an Acer and so far so good after about three years, pretty good laptop and the battery lasts for ages and it's on most of the day.

Check out Lenovo too, seems excellent so far.

Just for context, my old Acer Chromebook lasted 7 years. And even then, it still works. The problems became (1) that it was too old to get updates and (2) one night I wasn't thinking and leaned forward suddenly while it was on my lap and extended the monitor part too far.

I got my current one barely-used for $100. New it's $150.

I like to shop at Walmart as much as possible. Especially electronics. It's easier to return if there's something wrong with it.
I was seriously considering visiting Walmart. I don’t drive, but it’s very doable to get there.

I'm afraid none of my recommendations would be of interest, I tend to do everything different...But from what others have said...and from what it sounds like Stirch's requirement needs are, she'd be best suited by a Chromebook.
Yeah, this seems to be the opinion. Funny, because I didn’t even know what Chromebook is though I was familiar with the word.

I'd go with the mentioned brand Acer. I have a Lenovo laptop but someone else in my house has an Acer and so far so good after about three years, pretty good laptop and the battery lasts for ages and it's on most of the day.

Check out Lenovo too, seems excellent so far.
Gotta mean something that the only ones I remember looking at on Amazon were Acers. Will check out Lenovo too.

Just for context, my old Acer Chromebook lasted 7 years. And even then, it still works. The problems became (1) that it was too old to get updates and (2) one night I wasn't thinking and leaned forward suddenly while it was on my lap and extended the monitor part too far.

I got my current one barely-used for $100. New it's $150.
Good price.

I wish they still made Sony Vaio. I loved my very first laptop from them. Like Takoma did with her laptop, I extended the monitor too far one evening & could never close it again.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I was seriously considering visiting Walmart. I don’t drive, but it’s very doable to get there.

I recommend going to the Walmart website and sign up for an account. It allows you to choose your local Walmart store. With an account, you could look for what you want and if you click on the item you're looking at, it will tell you if it's in stock or not and even tell you what aisle it's in. I love it. There's even an option to look at items that are already in the store which is convenient. I use the site info to work on my shopping list.