The Films of Darren Aronofsky

Tools    

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
01. The Fountain

02. The Wrestler

03. Pi

04. Requiem for a Dream

05. Black Swan

No interest in Noah but mother! looks cool.

hah, saw mother with my friend today. At one point she just got up and walked out, and I went out to see what was up. I found her pacing and crying. She had to regain composure because she wanted to finish it. She loved it in the end, but man, it really wrecked her. I felt bad.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

The Wrestler (2008)

With The Wrestler, Darren Aronofsky turned a new page stylistically as an auteur. Gone were the more elaborate stylistic flourishes of his previous films to tell a more intimately scaled character study of the highest order. Straightforward in its narrative but no less gripping or emotionally galvanizing, this is one of Aronofsky's most nuanced and authentic films.

Mickey Rourke is truly a revelation as Randy, known to his many fans as The Ram. As a deeply flawed man past his prime who is now sleeping in the bed he has made for himself, Rourke gives a performance for the ages in what should have been a career revitalizing role. After being struck with a heart attack, he is now woken up to the life he has made for himself, or lack of one, and must face the person he has become. Beyond that, his health is deteriorating, with the abuse he has put his body through finally taking a toll on him. If he is to go back to wrestling he may very well be putting himself into his own grave, but having no skills outside of the ring, his options for income are slim and desperate. Without his fans he is almost completely alone, save for a local stripper Cassidy (played marvelously by Marisa Tomei, who is sexy as ever) who he has formed a bond . While she certainly cares for him on a different level than her many other customers, she still struggles with crossing the line of her job which prevents her from fully expressing her feelings for him. Then there is his estranged daughter Stephanie, now a young woman, that he wishes to rebuild a relationship with and right his wrongs, but for her it may be too little too late. Evan Rachel Wood is strong in the role, even if the character she is playing is nothing new for the actress.

The Wrestler is not a wrestling film, the same way Black Swan is not really a ballet film. But Aronofksy still approaches this particular profession with an unflinching eye. The wrestling sequences are incredibly hard to watch in their escalating brutality. Especially a match involving a table, glass, barbed wire, and a staple gun, that is genuinely shuddersome. As set up as these shows are, these men are also not messing around. Willing to destroy their bodies for the sake of their adoring fans, not just during the fight but also through the use of steroids and other substances. Using real wrestlers is a smart choice, as there is never once a false step to be found, and Rourke seems to have really developed a bond with his fellow wrestlers. However these scenes are truly painful to sit through, particularly an unsimulated moment where Randy (and Rourke) cuts his own forehead with a razor. These men give over their bodies for the entertainment of others, so when a fan meet and greet fails to attract many people, it's a sad reality that makes one wonder if its really all worth it.

Through Maryse Alberti's cinema verite cinematography, The Wrestler almost takes on the feeling of a documentary. While Aronofsky is less flashy here, he is a smart enough director to know that this is not a story that calls for bells and whistles. It's the vividly developed characters and shattering emotional undercurrent that drives the film, no distractions are needed or required. With that said, there is still plenty of beautiful images to be found, with Aronofsky showing his strong use of color. From the drab, muted, surroundings of the city, to the glitzy, colorful, environments of the strip club and wrestling arenas. Every ingredient seems to come together to put on a spectacular fireworks show, even if there's not much in the way of obvious action. It's still very exciting and mature filmmaking.

The ending to The Wrestler is practically perfect if emotionally draining. A certain element is left open-ended, but it doesn't matter in the long run. Whether or not Randy goes on with his progressively pathetic profession, or is unable to, makes no difference. The damage is done, Randy is done, with only entertaining his fans and his dwindling passion for his craft all he really has left to offer in this life. No matter how many times he wins the game, he has essentially failed where it really matters, and there's no coming back from that. The saddest part of it being that he is fully aware of this fact. This is simply brilliant drama with everyone at the peak of their powers.

3.5 out of 4

Say hello to my little friend!
I have only seen Requiem For A Dream and Black Swan. Two great movies that I enjoyed so much. I was waiting for Mother (2017), but I don't think that I am gonna watch it after all those low ratings given by almost everyone.

I have only seen Requiem For A Dream and Black Swan. Two great movies that I enjoyed so much. I was waiting for Mother (2017), but I don't think that I am gonna watch it after all those low ratings given by almost everyone.
If you liked Black Swan then you need to check out The Wrestler

If you liked Black Swan then you need to check out The Wrestler
I liked Black Swan because of the psychology in it. Just googled The Wrestler, didn't find it psychology, but I am going to watch it soon.

Firstly, forget what people are saying about mother and just go see it. It's a different experience for everyone. If you were a fan of Requiem and Black Swan there is a big chance you'll dig Mother too.

Firstly, forget what people are saying about mother and just go see it. It's a different experience for everyone. If you were a fan of Requiem and Black Swan there is a big chance you'll dig Mother too.
Maybe I would like it, but maybe I wouldn't. The bigger chance is that I am not gonna like it. Every critic that I agree with gave a low rating for the movie. I really don't want to lose 2 hours for nothing. I am not gonna watch the movie anytime soon, but I will surely watch it if it gets an Academy Award nomination.

I thought the same as you but I thought '**** it' and went.
And I now realized that the low ratings are given by people who just don't understand it.

My ratings and rankings:

Mother! 9/10
Black Swan 9/10
The Whale 9/10
Requiem for a Dream 8/10
The Fountain 8/10
Noah 8/10
The Wrestler 7/10
Pi 6/10