Screenplay Titles -Tainted Love

Tools    

Hi all,

Bit of a predicament, i'm lost. I have a screenplay that has the title of a famous 80's song - Tainted Love.

Do i need the song writers permission. I've been told different things because my screenplay is a different medium. So i'm confused.

Help me someone, or point me in the right direction.

Only for the weak
I wouldn't think so.

Dazed and Confused was named after a Led Zeppelin song, but they couldn't afford the rights to the song...But they used the name anyways.

Hmm, well now that I think about it I'm not so sure now....Pink Floyd would probably sue your ass off if you made a movie called Comfortably Numb.

Thanks for the reply, however songs like 'time' and dazed and confused' are very generalised statements, they might not be songs.

Whereas, Comfortably Numb, would get my ass sued.

Thanks anyway. Is there anyone else that can shed some light!!

Originally Posted by Muzzy
I wouldn't think so.

Dazed and Confused was named after a Led Zeppelin song, but they couldn't afford the rights to the song...But they used the name anyways.

Hmm, well now that I think about it I'm not so sure now....Pink Floyd would probably sue your ass off if you made a movie called Comfortably Numb.

Why don't you just research on a legal web page of some sort. I'm sure you will find the answer there quicker than you will here.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by kassana

Hi all,

Bit of a predicament, i'm lost. I have a screenplay that has the title of a famous 80's song - Tainted Love.

Do i need the song writers permission. I've been told different things because my screenplay is a different medium. So i'm confused.

Help me someone, or point me in the right direction.

The title "Tainted Love" would not be protected under copyright laws... only the lyrics... so you do not need permission to use the title...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)