Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

* throws a white dove into Rock’s face like it’s a can of dog food and I’m Brad Pitt *
Please accept my humble thanks for this generous offering of dog food.

So...this is a legit masterpiece, right? And if you disagree, you live in a turd bucket, right?

At the very least, it's the best Western I can think of since Unforgiven.
Wow, if it's that good, I might just have to make it a priority...

It’s exceptional. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia with a heart and conscience.

It’s exceptional. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia with a heart and conscience.

Alfredo Garcia definitely seems to be the touchstone. But this is weirder and sadder and better. And as much good as one can say about Warren Oates, Tommy Lee Jones is THE man

Alfredo Garcia definitely seems to be the touchstone. But this is weirder and sadder and better. And as much good as one can say about Warren Oates, Tommy Lee Jones is THE man
I need to rewatch it to decide between the two. The sadness of Three Burials has kept me from regular rewatches.

Damn, this is the first time you've heard Band of Gypsies? Yeah, side one is a monster.

Yes, I have come to love even Buddy Miles' yoop-yoop-yoop yodeling.

Damn, this is the first time you've heard Band of Gypsies? Yeah, side one is a monster.

Yes.

And so is the second side!

Band of Gypsy's, when I first began collecting records in about.....1992....was one of the maybe twenty records my uncle put on a list of 'must haves'. And it was the last I finally got, because I neglected it for many really dumb reasons over the years.

Immediately my favorite by him. And I'll stand by this even when I sober up tomorrow.

I got this earlier this year, the (not quite) complete New Year's shows. Probably overkill if you're just now getting to the original album, but recommended for later when you're ready for more. The "new" stuff is great but also interesting to me was the new approach to some of the older hits, which were left off the BoG LP.

Yes.

The second side's alright. There's better versions of "Message to Love" and "Power of Soul", and I do like the sly steal of "Sing a Simple Song" during "We Got To Live Together".

But...."Machine Gun" has to be the most impressive performance the man ever squeezed out of his instrument - a complete performance, btw, with no editing, overdubbing, or other post-production. And "Who Knows" is just groovy as grease as glass.

Band of Gypsy's, when I first began collecting records in about.....1992....was one of the maybe twenty records my uncle put on a list of 'must haves'. And it was the last I finally got, because I neglected it for many really dumb reasons over the years.
Your poor uncle. The cast aside and abandoned wisdom.

So what other Hendrix holes do you have? War Heroes? Winterland? Nine To The Universe? I have to tether this.

The second side's alright. There's better versions of "Message to Love" and "Power of Soul", and I do like the sly steal of "Sing a Simple Song" during "We Got To Live Together".

But...."Machine Gun" has to be the most impressive performance the man ever squeezed out of his instrument - a complete performance, btw, with no editing, overdubbing, or other post-production. And "Who Knows" is just groovy as grease as glass.

Your poor uncle. The cast aside and abandoned wisdom.

So what other Hendrix holes do you have? War Heroes? Winterland? Nine To The Universe? I have to tether this.

My uncle's recommendations were actually perfect, it turns out.

With the exception of Monterey Pop, it was exclusively his three main studio releases. Plus Cry of Love (which I've lost).

That's it. In total.

I got this earlier this year, the (not quite) complete New Year's shows. Probably overkill if you're just now getting to the original album, but recommended for later when you're ready for more. The "new" stuff is great but also interesting to me was the new approach to some of the older hits, which were left off the BoG LP.
I'm glad they finally released the whole thing. When they put out Machine Gun (only the first show) as a standalone a few years back, I thought it was going to be a trickle.

I'm glad they finally released the whole thing. When they put out Machine Gun (only the first show) as a standalone a few years back, I thought it was going to be a trickle.
Yeah, I never did get that one so I managed to avoid a triple-dip

Victim of The Night
Within the first 30 seconds of my new Band of Gypsy's LP, it becomes clear to me that this is the Jimi Hendrix album I've always wanted.
Band of Gypsys is an all-time album. It has been my favorite album at least once in three different decades of my life (teens, 30s, and 40s).

Victim of The Night
Yes, I have come to love even Buddy Miles' yoop-yoop-yoop yodeling.
Oh you gotta love the yoop-yoops.

I will always prefer Mitch as a drummer, but Buddy's singing was pretty good.

Victim of The Night
Yes.

Immediately my favorite by him. And I'll stand by this even when I sober up tomorrow.
I am curious what the dumb reasons were.