A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

It's a B-movie for sure, but it's got three movies' worth of atmosphere
Yes, and it's about an hour runtime, which makes it feel all the more breezy.

Some interesting stuff here, which Rue Morgue and Slayer are you referring to.
Rue Morgue is the Lugosi flick from 1932.

The Slayer is the J.*S.*Cardone movie from 1982.

Awesome, thanks!
I've seen The Void and Spring, love Masque Of The Red Death, and Dead & Buried is a favorite (though I haven't seen it in 10 years now).
I've been meaning to see Splinter for a while, this feels like a good time for it.
I thought Scarecrows was an awful movie when I saw it like a dozen but my standards are much lower now.
Haxan, to me, is pure Halloween, so it can only be viewed during October.
I've wanted to see Day of the Triffids since I was a little kid (literally 40 years ago) but I've never found it streaming.
The rest of these all seem like good candidates. I don't know what Strangler Of The Swamp is about (unless it's about a strangler in/from a swamp) but that's in on the title alone.
Scarecrows it's not excellent by any means; I stretched my recommendations down to those that I might rate
to allow some breathing room... but I would still say it's a different spin and worth a watch, as far as schlocky horror goes. Same applies to The Barn, which is very, very low budget and very, very schlocky.

Strongly seconding the following recs:

Assuming this refers to 1982 The Slayer by J.S. Cardone. This film deserves a lot more recognition.

Terrified 2017
The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw 2020
In a Glass Cage (1986)
I'll add a few recommendations too (trying to list only newer or otherwise less knows films):

The Empty Man
Sputnik
Underwater
Impetigore
Bliss
The Sonata
Antrum
Satan's Slaves
Tigers Are Not Afraid
The Evil Within
Baskin
The Children
Cure
Kairo

Yes, and it's about an hour runtime, which makes it feel all the more breezy.
Easy, breezy, beautiful. Strangler in the Swamp

I am also strongly strongly in favor of everyone watching Brain Damage and God Told Me To, and then our friendship ending if you don't love them both.

Victim of The Night
Rue Morgue is the Lugosi flick from 1932.

The Slayer is the J.*S.*Cardone movie from 1982.
Gotcha.
I watched and wrote up that version of Rue Morgue in October (the one that just passed) on Corri.
I've actually nearly pulled the trigger on The Slayer about a dozen times. Perhaps it is time.

Victim of The Night
Scarecrows it's not excellent by any means; I stretched my recommendations down to those that I might rate
to allow some breathing room... but I would still say it's a different spin and worth a watch, as far as schlocky horror goes. Same applies to The Barn, which is very, very low budget and very, very schlocky.
Well, this is actually a good thing because I feel like October I actually wanna see good horror movies but in April schlock is a wonderful thing.

Victim of The Night
Easy, breezy, beautiful. Strangler in the Swamp

I am also strongly strongly in favor of everyone watching Brain Damage and God Told Me To, and then our friendship ending if you don't love them both.
I almost feel like I should save Brain Damage for October.
And wait, what was the movie you were gonna remind me to watch this month?! (I told you I wouldn't be able to remember.)

Victim of The Night
Strongly seconding the following recs:

Assuming this refers to 1982 The Slayer by J.S. Cardone. This film deserves a lot more recognition.

I'll add a few recommendations too (trying to list only newer or otherwise less knows films):

The Empty Man
Sputnik
Underwater
Impetigore
Bliss
The Sonata
Antrum
Satan's Slaves
Tigers Are Not Afraid
The Evil Within
Baskin
The Children
Cure
Kairo
Thank you kindly.

Victim of The Night
On an only slightly related note, did anyone other than me end up seeing The Wretched and if so what did you think?

And has anyone seen Lord Of Tears or The Unkindness Of Ravens?

On an only slightly related note, did anyone other than me end up seeing The Wretched and if so what did you think?

And has anyone seen Lord Of Tears or The Unkindness Of Ravens?
Here's what little I wrote about The Wretched:

The Wretched (2019)

Technically solid low budget horror. Sadly the story makes little sense and isn't even that original (a bit like Salem's Lot and The Outsider mixed together so it's a safe bet that these brothers like their King; there's also some resemblance to The Hole in the Ground which I found a tad better than this). There's really nothing that stands out in either a positive or negative way, and the end result is bland mediocrity.

On a right day that could have been 2.5/5 so it was perfectly watchable. Just not remarkable in any way.

I haven't seen the other two.

Victim of The Night
Here's what little I wrote about The Wretched:

On a right day that could have been 2.5/5 so it was perfectly watchable. Just not remarkable in any way.

I haven't seen the other two.
I think we liked it a little better than you but agree it was pretty underwhelming.
It felt a bit like they had some good ideas but didn't really ever have a clear and specific narrative path they were gonna walk and they made it anyway assuming it would all work out.
None of us thought it was a waste of our time but it's unlikely any of us would revisit it either.

Victim of The Night
Also, where are you guys watching Strangler Of The Swamp?
I don't see it streaming anywhere.
In fact, I'm finding, oddly, that the last 8 low-budget horror movies I searched for, in a row, were not on Amazon Prime. If they're gonna stop carrying these things, how am I ever gonna see 'em?

Edit: Make that 10 in a row. They don't have Black Water or The Slaughter, either.

I almost feel like I should save Brain Damage for October.
And wait, what was the movie you were gonna remind me to watch this month?! (I told you I wouldn't be able to remember.)
Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker.

Victim of The Night
Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker.
Thank you.

I am struggling my way through The Barn as we speak.
I was thinking abut maybe watching some no-budget, Z-grade horrors this month... and now I am.

Also, where are you guys watching Strangler Of The Swamp?
I don't see it streaming anywhere.
In fact, I'm finding, oddly, that the last 8 low-budget horror movies I searched for, in a row, were not on Amazon Prime. If they're gonna stop carrying these things, how am I ever gonna see 'em?

Edit: Make that 10 in a row. They don't have Black Water or The Slaughter, either.

Thank you.

I am struggling my way through The Barn as we speak.
I was thinking abut maybe watching some no-budget, Z-grade horrors this month... and now I am.
Nameswise The Shed would be a great double feature with that (haven't seen either so can't say if they match in quality).

I watched it this week to make sure a monster idea I had wasn’t too close to it. I don’t believe it was.

The movie was better made than most indie horror while still being entirely conventional. Nothing stands out but nothing really sparks ire either. Just a lukewarm film.

Uh, Thief?
What exactly did you like about this movie?
LOL, I told you it was very low budget and very schlocky I rated it
, so it's not like I thought it was great, but I kinda liked the character design and the overall sendup of 80s slashers. I also happened to read a couple of interviews with the filmmaker, Justin Seaman, and I admired his passion for the project. I mean, he came up with the characters when he was a kid, and to see the drive to bring that into his first film, I don't know, I admired it.