What makes the Box-Office important?

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
One thing i don't get, what makes the box-office important? with all these movie executes worrying about weither a movie would be a success or flop.

Take for example, one of my favorite movies " Howard The Duck" and that movie was a huge box-office bomb, it turned out to be a cult classic with a following. But what does box-office matter to movies?

Your question is a bit general, but I will attempt to answer it. In a nutshell if movies were, for the most part, not profitable then we would not have very many movies, good or bad. So I think the box office is very important to movies. On the other hand does a good box office draw automatically make a good movie? Well I think we all know the answer to that one.

The box office is important because movies cost money. Whether or not they make money will help dictate whether movies featuring that actor, or directed by that director, or based around similar themes, get made in the future, and if so, how much money will be invested into them. Thus, when The Lord of the Rings trilogy is an unmitigated box office smash, producers are far more likely to invest in a high production-value adaptation of The Chronicles of Narnia, which we'll be seeing next year.

Box office flops can go on to become financial successes in re-release or video, yes, but cult classics are the exception, not the rule.

On a different note, this thread have been moved to the Business/Box Office Discussion forum. You've been warned about carelessly placing every thread you create in the General Movie Discussion forum, despite more appropriate forums being in plain view. You have apparently ignored this warning, and as such your thread creation privileges have been suspended until further notice.

And this is my BOOMstick!
What's The Chronicles of Narnia?

coke kills drink pepsi
Movies definitely need the box office, because it all goes back to who goes see the movies. To Some people the box-office determines if they were going to see that movie. If it's number one then that means that allot of people have been gonig to see it. That gives the viewers the distinct thinking that movie must be good maybe I should check is out. I hope that made sense

Originally Posted by Nitzer
What's The Chronicles of Narnia?
You mean you never read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as a kid? I pity you.

Yeah - what YODA said. Movies cost money, and production companies have this money, they get this money by selling mucho amounts of tickets, which leads to box-office.

You liked Howard The Duck, right? Without a cult following (which is kind of like a bunch of tickets waiting to be sold) Howard The Duck wouldn't be put in production and sent around the world for all to view.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by projectMayhem
You mean you never read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as a kid? I pity you.
It's not just that, I've never heard of them either.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
I haven't read them either, we never owned the book...
Me three. Never heard of it till yoda just spoke of it. Sounds like another harry potter type movie dedicated to kids. And we all know how much dough that raked in.