Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

→ in
Tools    

www.forumninja.com
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
It's not ment to be compared with the original film, rather what it is based on...the novel itself. Burton's version is more "true" to the source that that with Wilder.
Oh, I know that. Just going off of previous posts.

Didn't really care for this movie for a myriad of reasons...yes, I know it's truer to the original book than the '71 version, but that doesn't necessarily make it a better movie. Depp's interpretation of Wonka seemed to be a cross between Michael Jackson and Carol Channing, but I don't blame him entirely for that, Burton has to take some of the blame. The Wonka character comes off in this film as hating children and I found that very troublesome...Gene Wilder's Wonka had a keen eye for bad children, but I never got the impression that he hated children. I hated most of the children (Mike Teevee was particularly repulsive) and I found it kind of creepy that all of the Oompah Loompas were all played by a single actor. The one thing in this film that I preferred to the 1971 version? Freddie Highmore as Charlie...liked him a lot better than Peter Ostrum in the '71 film.