300 or The Departed?

Tools    

Yes, totally impossible to compare such brilliant but utterly different films. I guess The Departed would win for me, as I find leane Heady rather irritating in 300...

Actually, I will prepare to squat one out. I'll buy two copies of 300, so as I can put a stick through the holes in both DVDs and hang my toilet paper roll from it.

"Spartans, prepare to squat!"
LOL

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I haven't seen 300 but I'm guessing The Departed is better.

Actually, I will prepare to squat one out. I'll buy two copies of 300, so as I can put a stick through the holes in both DVDs and hang my toilet paper roll from it.

"Spartans, prepare to squat!"

There threads always make me feel like I'm in kindergarten again…. Mine is better than yours is… nanny, nanny, boo-boo...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Departed of course.

Actually i haven't even watched 300 yet i have the blu-ray but its just sitting there collecting dust

I just think 300 was better because it was written by Frank Miller, one of the greatest people to ever walk the earth, alongside Quentin Tarintino and Alan Moore.

The Departed was an excellent movie(with an amazing ending) but 300 has to win this battle.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
The Departed was like, a good steak dinner.

300 was like a steak dinner with dessert in bed and a realllly intense, long, satisfying romp under the sheets, after which you float off into happy sleepy high ...

I am having a nervous breakdance
300 is about the master race going to war lead by their brave president, excuse me, king. They fight not for wealth or power but for freedom and the American, excuse me, the Spartan way of life. The brave 300 and their king Leonidas ignore the corrupt Congress, excuse me, priesthood and goes to war anyway.

It's probably the most explicitly conservative film I've ever seen, ideologically speaking, but it was great fun!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Departed was pacey, exciting, funny, and 300 was a bore. Actually, it was the most over-hyped movie of the year. I dare you to find one original moment in 300!

The Departed was pacey, exciting, funny, and 300 was a bore. Actually, it was the most over-hyped movie of the year. I dare you to find one original moment in 300!
I think it makes Mel Gibson's films look like liberal propaganda. That's got to be worth something, right...

Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying
300 for three reasons. 1) because i am green 2) because they can make a beheaded guy look soo beautiful 3) Because it had all the aspects of a good action war movie. romance, death, passion, and self sacrifice.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
original scene in 300:

hot spartan king getting felt up and drooled on by oversized, sexy scary persian demigod.

in an ACTION WAR MOVIE! that crap didn't happen in braveheart OR platoon, gorrammit!

oh yeah. ooooh... yeah.

original scene in 300:

hot spartan king getting felt up and drooled on by oversized, sexy scary persian demigod.

in an ACTION WAR MOVIE! that crap didn't happen in braveheart OR platoon, gorrammit!

oh yeah. ooooh... yeah.
he he... the homo erotic elements were pretty obvious, yes...

The Departed for me was great no doubt about it. 300 for me was good, but not as much as The Departed. I like both of the directors, but I like more crime films than those of epic war films. So I'm going with The Departed.

It'll probably come as no shock to anyone that I don't quite agree.

300 is about the master race going to war lead by their brave president, excuse me, king.
America is probably among the least applicable countries in the world for this sort of claim. We're the Melting Pot, not a Master Race, and -- not to be too dramatic -- but we lost millions of citizens fighting a man who felt otherwise on the matter. You can say a lot of things about America, perhaps, but I don't think this is one of them.

They fight not for wealth or power but for freedom and the American, excuse me, the Spartan way of life.
This part's somewhat fair. They took the Spartans and made them a lot bigger on individual freedoms than I believe they were, presumably to make them more palpable good guys for western audiences. I don't think this means the film has any kind of agenda, however.

The brave 300 and their king Leonidas ignore the corrupt Congress, excuse me, priesthood and goes to war anyway.
Er, wouldn't it make more sense that Congress represents...Congress? I see no reason to swap in the priesthood other than that it helps butress the idea of 300 as conservative propaganda. And besides, even if the film took the opposite tack, you'd be left with religion dictating political policy. Isn't that a criticism often levelled against conservatives, too? It seems to me you could call either position "conservative" if you wanted to.

It's probably the most explicitly conservative film I've ever seen, ideologically speaking, but it was great fun!!
I'm really not sure how it's conservative, unless you start with the assumption that all conservatives support all war, regardless of circumstance.

All it really does is depict a necessary war, with an emphasis on the courage of those fighting it, and the glory they earn as a result. If depicting a war as necessary makes the film conservative, then we'll have to throw every WWII film onto the pile, too. Ditto for any war film which does not make "war is hell" its only message.

I realize that people always have a tendency to view everything through the prism of current events; especially today. And I'm certainly one of them, at times. But, in my opinion, 300 doesn't say anything explicit about anything other than the event it depicts. I think it can only be called a "conservative" film in that it doesn't take an entirely "liberal" stance on the nature of war.

Oh, and to keep this on topic a bit: I liked both films quite a bit, but definitely preferred The Departed.

America is probably among the least applicable countries in the world for this sort of claim. We're the Melting Pot, not a Master Race, and -- not to be too dramatic -- but we lost millions of citizens fighting a man who felt otherwise on the matter. You can say a lot of things about America, perhaps, but I don't think this is one of them.
I think the man wasn't trying to say it was an allegory, but that it was propaganda - not "Bush sucks" but "We should trust Bush"

Yes, I know. I'm disagreeing with the idea that it is pro-conservative propaganda.
I'm not saying it's pro-conservative propaganda. I'm saying it's conservative. The filmmakers may be the most liberal beings on earth, Bush haters and peacemongers and what not. That's irrelevant. Even if it's not meant to be conservative it can still be conservative. Spielberg is a liberal but you can read his films to be conservative too. If you want to, of course.

There are tons of things in the film that could be seen as parallells to reality.

Going to war against the persians. America isn't too fond of persians = iranians. And of course the war in the Middle East.

The king choosing the Priesthood which is against all traditions = the President choosing to ignore the UN

The slow and bureaucratic Council = the Congress

Sleezy politicians = sleezy politicians

The supportive but cowardly Arcaidians = America's allies

The brave king = the belief in one man leading one nation

The persian demigod = the cult surrounding dictators

The Spartan way of life = decency = the American way of life

The Persian way of life = decadence = the non-American way of life

War over diplomacy = War over diplomacy

The superior but outnumbered Spartan army = The superior American army

The superior Spartan people = The superior American people

...and so on.

And I think the fact that you, as a conservative minded, or Bush supporter, do not view it as conservative or react to the pretty in your face reactionary ideology is only strengthening my belief that it is, in fact, conservative. Or if I put it this way; your thoughts about this doesn't exactly come as a surprise to me. My views just like your views are of course subjective so we can debate this back and forth.... Bottomline: I'm right. You're wrong.