Documentaries

Tools    

So utterly confusing. Couldn’t make heads or tails of it.

Interesting. She’s a nice lady though I can’t recall ever seeing her in anything.

I loved the Brooke Shields documentary too.

@Stirchley your posts on this thread are gold to me.

I have a fascination for NYC, in terms of culture and general mentality, specially from the 80s and 90s... and documentaries and short-stories/films are nowadays the only genera captivating me to spend screen time on.

I'll be watching the following:
  • Restless Creature: Wendy Whelan
  • Lenox Hill
  • Emergency NYC
  • Cutie and the Boxer
  • Welfare
  • The World Before Your Feet
If you know anymore, just fire away.

Are you watching the third season of How to with John Wilson?

A good NYC documentary is "Moments Like This Never Last". One might not be a big fan of the particular artist being profiled (I'm at best on the fence about Dash Snow's work), but it's more about New York street culture pre 911. It's good.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Everyone will always know Robert Englund as "Freddy Krueger" or as the good-natured Willy on "V", but there is more to Robert than meets the eye. This is a great documentary that delves into the professional and personal life of the iconic actor.

I learn the most from making my own mistakes
American movie (1999)

I am not a huge docu guy but I watch this docu when I am bored and I found out from rotten tomatoes when I finished watching the docu I was inspired to make any short film. It's very inspirational

Becoming Bond (2017) -

This is a funny, touching and inspiring "this is your life" documentary about the man who famously played James Bond only once: George Lazenby. The Australian car salesman turned model turned actor tells his extraordinary story from his humble beginnings to what happened after his 1969 movie came out while performers reenact his words. It results in a movie that is part underdog story, part bittersweet romance and part swinging sex comedy. There is even some Catch Me if You Can-style implausibility thrown in for good measure.

Despite the title and poster, only the last third of the movie has much to do with the James Bond franchise. Even so, I can't imagine even die-hard Bond fans being disappointed with this story of how an unknown landed such a plum role. It's one that defies the odds so much, you will wonder if it was made up (and so does the interviewer, I might add, who interrupts the movie to ask George, "is that true?") You see it in baby George’s fight with a rare kidney condition that causes most sufferers to not live past their teens, becoming a successful car salesman despite not graduating high school, and especially the centerpiece of the movie, his tumultuous romance with the way above his station Belinda. Josh Lawson amusingly plays the adult Lazenby as the charmed man his story makes him out to be, and there are some inspired and well-timed cameos. You even get to experience the free love '60s secondhand in a way that...let's just say makes the movie only for adults in the best way.

So, why did George only play James Bond once? I'll just say the reason is true to his character, the movie leaves room for debate about it, and most importantly, it makes you understand why. You also get living proof that you should not consider your birthplace, past, social class, etc. as roadblocks in the way of getting what you want out of life. Did George have advantages many of us do not have, and if everything he says is accurate, did he take the left hand path here and there? Perhaps, but what he demonstrates still holds true. The movie also proves that he deserves to be treated as more than just a punchline.

@Stirchley your posts on this thread are gold to me.

I have a fascination for NYC, in terms of culture and general mentality, specially from the 80s and 90s... and documentaries and short-stories/films are nowadays the only genera captivating me to spend screen time on.

I'll be watching the following:
  • Restless Creature: Wendy Whelan
  • Lenox Hill
  • Emergency NYC
  • Cutie and the Boxer
  • Welfare
  • The World Before Your Feet
If you know anymore, just fire away.

Are you watching the third season of How to with John Wilson?
I’ve seen all the documentaries you list. All very good.

Never got into the John Wilson stuff.

Distressing but ultimately hopeful documentary about a troubled woman who was severely bullied by her partner in the USA.

Lordy, cheerful, what? Have put this in my watchlist.

Pivoting: I suppose you know that the Eternal Daughter was shot in Wales? Excellent movie.

I promise not to post another OxyContin documentary. Very interesting though.

Interesting documentary.

Lordy, these people are cray cray. I’m terrified of water & cannot believe what these people do. Loved this.

Distressing but ultimately hopeful documentary about a troubled woman who was severely bullied by her partner in the USA.

Do we see footage of her burns? Because I don’t want to see anything like that before I watch it.

When I lived in Manhattan, my biggest desire was to be photographed by this man. Never happened, but I liked the documentary.

Scary as hell. Alex Honnold is either brave or nuts.

Interesting documentary that tells the story of Hipgnosis, the company behind so many iconic album covers, including the one pictured here from Dark Side of the Moon.