Movie Tab II

Tools    

MovieMan, was it the "Anniversary" edition you watched with the bookended 'explanations' because that might explain the issues you had with pacing in what i found to be pretty tight, almost unbearably tense at times, well when i was younger anyway. As for the B&W i definitely think that it improves the film, giving a grainy docu aesthetic to the film, which also serves to hide some of the budgetary constraints. Out of interest, what were you expecting from the zombies? Generally speaking zombies tend to be more a plot device than object of focus- which in turn relates to the actual characters and the tension caused in relation to the threat, especially with Romero where they're often used to perpetrate an extended metaphor. Personally i think it's fantastic, both as an artefact of cinema and a film, not to mention being the original zombie film (at least in regards to that type of zombie flick) and also landmark in horror, breaking ground with gore, stereotypes, expectations etc. But that's just me lol.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Ma Vie En Rose

My favorite thing about this movie is that we get to see the issue of transgender through Ludovic, whom the world believes to be a boy, but who believes herself to be a little girl. Ludovic doesn't understand the reactions and the chaos that she creates by simply being what she is and is almost dogmatic in her innocence.

The world being what it is, Ludovic is not allowed this state of innocence for long and must come into conflict with the bigotry of those around her; including her own family.

There were a couple of flaws in the film. One being that I would have liked the neighbors to have been better developed. I would have also liked to have been allowed to see more of Ludovic in her fantasy world and less getting trounced upon by the entire world. Other than that though, this film was right on target.

B+

Bonnie And Clyde
Arthur Penn, 1967

You know I was actually quite surprised with this one, I mean I always hear talk about this, but I just never really had any interest in seeing it. Since I got to see it for free though, I thought that I'd give it a try. Even though I already knew the ending, it's still a great movie. It's a total thrill ride, just watching the gang on the run robbing banks. I actually wasn't sure that I was going to like it, because I didn't like the first few minutes of the movie. It just got better and better as the movie progessed, though. Even though I already knew the ending, when it actually got it, I was still pretty amazed. I was waiting for it happen the whole movie, and then in the last minute of the movie, it just happened. It happened really quick, too.

Waren Beatty and Faye Dunnaway had such a great connection in this, I think they were the perfect choices for the roles on Clyde and Bonnie. I think they could've actually been dating while watching this. Still anyone who likes movies about bank robbers needs to see this, because I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.

Seven Pounds - 3/5
review here

Punisher: War Zone - 1/5
Yawn worthy. It was ok for a night when you have absolutely nothing else to do, but the plot was incredibly incredibly weak. Even the final battle - how they managed to get Punisher to fight them - was uninspired. I can remember vividly thinking that seriously wrote the Punisher as a dumb one. Why is he so dumb? played through my mind too many times to count. Having said that, the fella they had reprise the role did a good job, and he really brought out the inner Thug that we know the Punisher is, and love him for being. Basically, Punisher is a brute force, smash and grab....vigilante thug. And they conveyed that very very well. The villians, on the other hand - were superbly cast, and alone kept the movie interesting.

Quantum of Solace - 1/5
Another yawn worthy film of mindless action. Which is why it gets a 1 grade. I cant figure out whether I should be insulted that Hollywood actually thinks we are so dumb that all they have to do is smash a few cars and buildings nonstop and we'll buy the storyline. Plus the fact that I guess these days 007 doesnt even have to drop a cheesy one-liner to pick up chicks (even though he's uglier than he's ever been)? Instead he just turns up in their bed. Give me a break. Plus the fact that this new 007 is clearly the Bond Franchise's fledgling attempt to go after the Bourne Trilogy market share. Bond at the beginning? Give me a break - they knew they were losing ground to the cooler, grittier, blonder Jason Bourne, so they they churn out their whole little "beginner Bond" as a younger, grittier blond....and I gotta tell ya, it has sucked so far. Plus the fact that someone mentioned this flaw to me as well: if we really are going back to the "younger" Bond - how come the storyline has stayed relevant to the 2000s? Wouldnt a "younger" Bond have a storyline more relevant to the time of his beginning.....which, would be years and years ago, right? So yeah. I'll stop while I'm winding up - in sum, I find this Bond particularly unnattractive (for the first time in my life, I comprehend the saying "needs a bag over the head" - because he clearly has the body), the plots dangerously thin, and the similarities in casting and story milieu to Bourne unflatteringly imitative.

Monsters Vs Aliens- ok so first 3D movie i've seen so quite new to all that malarky and can't really judge the quality of that. The animation was standard fair, nothing stunning but still crisp albeit simple. The plot was very basic but the voice talent was good, very good i'd say. Hoped for a few more nods to other culture but was glad for what they had.

Superbad

The only teen comedy I have ever enjoyed , memorable characters and comic book visual flair - even if you find it hard to sympathize with the kids , there's always Bill Hader and Seth Rogen as the hilariously incompetent cops.

The Hunt for the Red October

Before John McTiernan made Rollerball and then went to jail , he directed a great companion for his masterpiece Die Hard - although this one has a lot less blood and guts , instead tension drives from it's Cold War setting and submarine battles.

It did very much remind me of Die Hard in terms of quality photography and blasting sound design.

My Neighbor Totoro

Lots of really good animation as expected from this studio , but feels insignificant in the face of the later Spirited Away. Didn't resonate nearly as much with me as did Porco Rosso and ^^^ .

Takeshi Kitano's heartwarming , sad , and hilarious adventure tale. This is my favorite movie of his and I consider his movies some of the very best. It seems everything is custom tailored to my taste , wide colorful cinematography and crude blunt jokes - it's a celebration of life with a simple message I agree with "the point of life , is to enjoy life".

In the Beginning...
W. (Stone, 2008)

A surprisingly sympathetic take on our 43rd president, given Oliver Stone's previous exploits. The film plods along competently enough, with the first truly sincere portrayal of the junior Bush (Josh Brolin). The film does, however, take a definitive stance on the behavior of Bush's administration -- or rather, its motivations. The surrounding characters are mostly interesting, with standouts from Toby Jones (Karl Rove) and Richard Dreyfuss (Dick Cheney). Thandie Newton's Condi Rice, it should be noted, is so bad that it's a wonder anyone took it seriously on set.

The X-Files: Fight the Future (Bowman, 1998)

Enjoyable TV-to-film transition with a sufficiently weird, unfolding mystery that steps up the scope set by the acclaimed series. The film tends to grind to an idle in places, but for the most part keeps up at a brisk and engaging pace with twists, turns, and tussles with men in... hazard suits? I have my doubts about how Mulder makes it to Antarctica so quickly with little or no friends in the FBI to help him, but with a show like The X-Files, who's to argue plausibility? Still, a fun watch for the paranormally-entertained.

The New World (Malick, 2005)

I've argued extensively with a friend over this film. He doesn't find much of a narrative in its beautiful picture-to-beautiful picture format, but I beg to differ. I find a wonderfully subtle, adventurous tale that romanticizes history probably more than it would like to admit. Malick's perennial theme of humanity's undulating relationship with nature is in full effect here, operating somewhat on the unsteady acquaintance between Native Americans and the first Europeans who arrived on their doorstep.

I've docked it one bucket because, where a fiction film like The Thin Red Line can survive (and even thrive) on the ghost-like narration of its characters, The New World stands on the shoulders of 300-year old historical figures, and therefore begs for a little more substance. In other words, it's not enough to hear their musings and relate... some of them are too far removed to bridge the gap with a modern crowd as well as Malick seems to have intended.

Badlands (Malick, 1973)

Wow. I'm not sure if this is an intentional or accidental comedy, but I'm inclined to think it doesn't matter. I had a ball with this, and really identify with Malick even more as a filmmaker. You can see his artful approach seeping through, as its gotten thicker over the years. But the youthful commentary here coupled with the dastardly nature of the events is really effective. Something should definitely be said of Martin Sheen's command of this film, and in particular, his unfailing ability to state the obvious. "You threw my hat out the window." Glorious.

Flight of the Phoenix (Moore, 2004)

I've never seen the original, but this remake seems competent enough for a rainy day. It's an old-fashioned "we're stranded!" adventure with a variety of constrained personalities clashing from the prospect of slow death and desperation. This doesn't have the drama you'd expect from the Donner party, unfortunately, but I wouldn't say this is time wasted when you've got time to waste. Of course, watching this had me wondering if plane crash films are ever shown on airline flights. That's some bad karma.

Badlands is a great movie, glad you liked. Since you're watching Malick films, have you seen his other two?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Elegy

Isabel Coixet, 2008

I visited a theater a few days ago with a friend, not having picked a movie before hand we chose Elegy, due to the cast and provocative blurb, little was I to know how right we were.
Elegy is the story of a professor who falls in love with one of his students who is thirty years his junior. The real story is more an exploration of beauty, love and the path that leads us to our death.
I am a fan of Ben Kingsly so I am biased but he is incredibly well cast along with Penelope Cruz and Dennis Hopper who are also great.
There is a a lot to like about Elegy, the story is unique, beautifully shot and it keeps you guessing and entertained in equal measure. It has been a while since I've been so genuinely surprised by such a bold and interesting film. A new favourite.

Seven Pounds
Gabriele Muccino, 2008

Whoa: that is basically the best words to describe this movie. I had like no interest in even seeing this, but since I can see it for free, I thought that I'd give it a try. I'm really, really glad that I did, because this movie is nothing short of amazing. I'm surprised too, because I usually don't tend to like depressing type of movies that much. The ending actually 'almost' had me crying. It was such a bittersweet ending, like it was really sad for one, but it's also happy at the same time. Something I did notice is that Will Smith's movies just keep getting more and more serious with each movie, I mean at least his past few movies has had some moments of happiness. I don't think there was single trace of happiness in this, aside from a few minor lines. I totally loved it, though. I feel kind of weird because I did love it so much.

Will Smith just keeps getting better and better at acting though, I mean he just keeps getting better with his past 3 movies - The Pursuit Of Happyness, I Am Legend, and now this. Seriously, I highly suggest checking this one out, especially if you like to watch depressing movies for some reason. It really may seem confusing at first, but it all comes together for the ending.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this

My Neighbor Totoro

Lots of really good animation as expected from this studio , but feels insignificant in the face of the later Spirited Away. Didn't resonate nearly as much with me as did Porco Rosso and ^^^ .

I think that the only reason i love this movie so much is because i grew up with it and as a child i was obsessed but i watched it again recently and loved it again but also can admit that anyone who wasn't transfixed with it as a child may find themselves bored =\

Not yet, but they're on my list.
Seeing as you liked those two it's a pretty safe bet you're going to like the other two. I read he has another film coming out next year, that'll make five in about 40 years.

Registered Creature
Dance of the Dead (Gregg Bishop - 2008).

I'd heard some relatively great things about the film, some even calling it a "cult classic" and the greatest horror comedy since Shaun of the Dead. This film, in my opinion, was a load of utter crap. Whoever wrote the script must be sued and never write again. The acting ranged from mediocre to just downright pathetic. The story's been done before, most notably in the Return of the Living Dead films, and you could tell they obviously tried to put a different spin to it but failed. The plot was very predictable and tedious, and the so-called "twist" was not great and left me with a "Huh? That's it?" reaction. I'm going to remind my dad again tonight: NO MORE BLIND BUYS.

1.5/10.

Marley And Me
David Frankel, 2008

Okay, it's no lie that I love dogs, so I knew that I was going to at least like this some. I do believe that I liked this more than I thought I was going to, though. I was actually laughing a lot during the movie, and I never thought that it would end up being so funny. I think something that really helps add to it being funny is that this is a real life situation, and could basically happen to anyone. I wouldn't know for sure, though, because I personally don't own a dog. I really want to, but sadly I can't because my sister is allergic. I've been around enough dogs to know that there are a bunch of dogs like Marley. I really didn't like the second half of the movie as much, though. I think it just got way to serious. Especially the ending, like I knew it was coming already, but I was still on the verge of tears. I like never get that close to crying during a movie either.

Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston worked great together, and I also think they chose a great dog to work with them as well. I really think that was Owen Wilson's dog in real life, I mean him and the dog seemed to connect together so well. I haven't read the book, so I may have to get to doing that sometime in the future, but I doubt it would be anytime soon. Anyone who loves dogs needs to check this out.

In the Beginning...
Seeing as you liked those two it's a pretty safe bet you're going to like the other two. I read he has another film coming out next year, that'll make five in about 40 years.
Yeah, he's certainly not the most prolific filmmaker working (which is why The New World was such a surprise). But you can tell his films are always very meticulously, lovingly crafted. So I'm good with it.

Strangers On A Train
Alfred Hitchcock, 1951

Something I've noticed is that Hitchcock is like the perfect director for thrillers. All of this thrillers are unqiue and different from each other, and most of them turn out great. This is no exception, heck, I'd even put this in his top 5 best movies. The ending is simply amazing, and I really mean amazing. My only problem with this one is, even though it's still a great thriller, I didn't find much suspense in this one. Somehow it still worked for me, but I guess I should've said that differently. There was some suspense, just not as much as Hitchcock movie's usually have. I really love how in most of Hitchcock movie's he makes two complete strangers suddenly have such a huge effect on each of their lives.

Robert Walker just does really great in this, I mean you seriously could've believed that he was crazy. Farley Granger did a great job as well, just not as great as Robert Walker. Once again Hitchcock seems to impress me even more than before. I surely can't wait to finally finish off seeing all of his films, and that should be within the next few months, or even sooner.

The Fast and The Furious:Tokyo Drift(Justin Lin 2006)-Don't know why I watched this one just to prepare myself for the fourth part which has nothing in common with this one but it seems that even made as a stand alone part a lot of money and style was put in it and it turned out not that bad.Movie like that should be appreciated by the people who adore cars and racing and for this one-Drifting

Saving Private Ryan(Steven Spielberg 1998)-I don't know what is this fascination of mine with War movies whether it's Enemy at the Gates or Black Hawk Down it has this vibe of quality,with Private Ryan it's reliving the Normandy assault whit such realism that only Steven Spielberg can give us(and maybe few other directors).I am so happy that the Call of Duty games use movie scenarios from those movies to present the gameplay as if you are there.Truly one of the greatest war movies

House Of Wax
André De Toth, 1953

Ugh, I think this has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This was the first movie in awhile that I couldn't even finish. I don't know if it was meant to be bad or something, but it was just plain bad. I was one of the few who enjoyed the remake too, and I guess I can say that the remake for this is actually better than the original. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to watch this, but all I know is that I didn't like it. I'm very glad I had Netflix and got to watch it for free, instead of paying for the DVD. I thought that this was supposed to be horror movie, but I didn't get a single trace of horror in this movie. Maybe sometime in the future I can try watching it again, but I doubt it would be anytime in the near future.

N/A

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
MM, did you see Seven Pounds and Marley and Me on Netflix too? Because I'm on my computer and can't get those on Instant View.