'Bubba Nosefaratu' (a.k.a. Bubba-Ho-Tep 2)

Tools    

The sequel to 2003's Bubba-Ho-Tep, Bubba Nosefaratu, is getting attention and Cinema Blend has the scoop....

Originally Posted by Cinema Blend
It looks like the sequel to Bruce Campbell's much beloved nursing home mummy fightin movie Bubba Ho-tep is still underway. Bubba director Don Coscarelli showed up on local Dallas radio this afternoon to talk about the project, and promise the radio show's DJ Russ Martin a part in exchange for plugs. Poor Don, the things you have to do for independent film.

But, according to Don the script for the film, which he calls Bubba Nosferatu: Curse of the She Vampire is underway and being written this time by Joe Landsdale instead of Coscarelli. Landsdale is the original author of the short story on which Bubba Ho-tep is based, so it looks like this time they're going straight to the source. With Landsdale busy on other scripting projects, Coscarelli expects the Bubba 2 script completed by Halloween 2005 at the earliest, so there's no chance we'll see it in theaters before some time later in 2006, assuming they get funding.

Coscarelli doesn't sound worried about money though. MGM, who funded the original movie, is talking to him about ponying up the meager budget needed for this one, and he slyly hinted at interest from other parties as well, no doubt just to make MGM sweat.

I didn't know 'Ho-tep' was based on a short story, I just assumed it they borrowed the frame of Singing Detective (maybe that's just crazytalk and the fact that I watched em both in the same weekend skewed my perception?) and just imported some classic horror paraphernalia in place of the period-detective elements. That's really why it worked so well for me, it was completely unexpected and clever borrowing.

So I'm kinda wondering now how much of it was Coscarelli's ideas and how much was Landsdale's. Guess I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

You have to read some Lansdale (yes, you've been spelling it wrong guys) if you haven't already, linespalsy. The man is a master of storytelling.

Not real sure I want to see a sequel to Bubba Ho-Tep. The movie was very good, don't get me wrong. I just think it's not needed.

Originally Posted by Garrett
You have to read some Lansdale (yes, you've been spelling it wrong guys) if you haven't already, linespalsy. The man is a master of storytelling.
I haven't even heard of him. I'll look into it. What do you reckon is his best?

Originally Posted by linespalsy
I haven't even heard of him. I'll look into it. What do you reckon is his best?
There are several places you could start. I was introduced to him through a collection of his short stories called High Cotton (which is the best collection that's been released, in my opinion). I know a lot of people who don't particularly care for short stories so you could also start with one of his novels. Here are a few suggestions: Sunset & Sawdust, The Bottoms, or The Drive-In. After you've read a little and decided whether or not you like him I'd recommend checking out some of his Hap & Leonard novels (Savage Season, Mucho Mojo, etc).

You might want to check out the excerpts that are available on Amazon first. It took me a while to get into his style, but now he's definitely one of my favorite writers.

man ive still gotta see ho tep,guess ill just download it got nothing else to do today w00t memorial day!

I don't know what to think about this, if the story is as interesting as Ho-Tep then I'm all for it!