Most Boring Movie

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
I browsed through this thread in about 10 seconds and here is what I picked up...

A) Someone actually said something to the effect that Vertigo sucked.

It took all my strength, but I managed to keep going.

B) Holden and John McClain started arguing, and the latter actually thought he had a chance arguing with someone named Holden, when he himself is named after a Die Hard star.

Did I miss anything?
Good summing up, smile

MovieForums Extra
ANYWAY, back to the purpose of the thread, The Missins is SO SO boring. Watched it the other night and was really struggling to stay awake with it. I just couldnt have given a flying toss what happened to Kate Blanchetts daughter. Im also not a fan of The Royal Tennenbaums (sp?).
I agree with Blib.......I thought this movie would NEVER end. And I was kicking myself because I chose this one over Matchstick Men......arrghh.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by nebbit
Just a few for now

Battlefield Earth

Chariots of Fire

Legends of the fall
I thought Battlefield Earth wasn't that boring but, could have been better.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Battlefield Earth was terrible, but Legends of the Fall is anything but boring, I love it.

Originally Posted by Philmster
Legends of the Fall is anything but boring, I love it.

I liked Legends of the Fall too...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I liked Legends of the Fall as well. I remember when it came out I resisted it because I thought Pitt was just another pretty boy that couldn't act. I suppose assumed would be a better description. But I really liked it. Yeah, some of the acting was a bit over the top, and it was a little too melodramatic, but it was still a sweeping, romantic, film.

Battlefield Earth wasn't all that boring, it was just bad. If there was another story that could be broken into 2 volumes like Mr. Bill, this would be it. Because the Psychlo part of the story (which this movie exclusively deals with) is only a fraction of the entire epic story. I'd love to see a screen adaptation that was faithful to this masterful tale.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
all wrong as Andy Kaufman for Man on the Moon
Please, please, please be joking. Even though I know you're not.

Aside from even looking the part (once his hair was played with), Carrey had Kaufman's Latka voice dead-on. Numerous times I found that I could close my eyes and not tell the difference between the two. While I'm sure some other actors could probably impersonate that pitch fairly well, I don't think any of them could've also nailed Kaufman's normal manner of speaking so well, which was duplicated not only in tone, but in pacing and countless little verbal mannerisms.

I also vaguely recall that actors/entertainers who worked both with Kaufman and with Carrey on Man on the Moon, such as Danny DeVito and Jerry Lawler, echoed this sentiment during and after production.

None of this constitutes objective proof, of course, but I don't recall ever running into anyone else who was unimpressed by Carrey's depiction.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
The most boring movie? Well I fell asleep during the Royal Tenenbaums, it was just a little dull.
Say it ain't so, Joe...say it ain't so!

Really thought the Exorcist was boring-and I haven't seen any Star wars films so can't comment.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Please, please, please be joking. Even though I know you're not.

Aside from even looking the part (once his hair was played with), Carrey had Kaufman's Latka voice dead-on. Numerous times I found that I could close my eyes and not tell the difference between the two. While I'm sure some other actors could probably impersonate that pitch fairly well, I don't think any of them could've also nailed Kaufman's normal manner of speaking so well, which was duplicated not only in tone, but in pacing and countless little verbal mannerisms.

I also vaguely recall that actors/entertainers who worked both with Kaufman and with Carrey on Man on the Moon, such as Danny DeVito and Jerry Lawler, echoed this sentiment during and after production.

None of this constitutes objective proof, of course, but I don't recall ever running into anyone else who was unimpressed by Carrey's depiction.
I must be more familiar with Kaufman and/or less forgiving than you, because while it was a good enough Latka impression (though Kevin Pollock, for one, does a better Latka and a dead-on Reverend Jim in his stand-up, just on voice quality alone), I thought his work as the 'real' Andy was awful and cartoonish. I defy anyone to watch "My Breakfast with Blassie" and Man on the Moon back-to-back and then tell me you honestly think Carrey sounded or looked like Andy. He just didn't. And the look was off, hair not withstanding. Carrey had a decent Andy Kaufman Halloween costume on - you'd know who he was supposed to be at a costume party, but as for accurately capturing the look and tone of Andy - nope, not even close.

As for DeVito and Lawler's praise, if they hadn't been involved in the film and therefore had a stake in its success (DeVito was a credited producer), I might find their statements a little more credible. A little. As as, I don't think they're anything more than advertising for the movie.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I must be more familiar with Kaufman and/or less forgiving than you, because while it was a good enough Latka impression (though Kevin Pollock, for one, does a better Latka and a dead-on Reverend Jim in his stand-up, just on voice quality alone), I thought his work as the 'real' Andy was awful and cartoonish. I defy anyone to watch "My Breakfast with Blassie" and Man on the Moon back-to-back and then tell me you honestly think Carrey sounded or looked like Andy. He just didn't. And the look was off, hair not withstanding. Carrey had a decent Andy Kaufman Halloween costume on - you'd know who he was supposed to be at a costume party, but as for accurately capturing the look and tone of Andy - nope, not even close.
I guess it comes down to a simple difference of opinion. The non-Latka Kaufman voice we see in Man on the Moon is, to me, practically identical to the one Kaufman displayed on various late night talk shows, and on Saturday Night Live. I think the depiction is fantastic if you actually take into account that, you know, Carrey ISN'T Kaufman. To each their own.

As for DeVito and Lawler's praise, if they hadn't been involved in the film and therefore had a stake in its success (DeVito was a credited producer), I might find their statements a little more credible. A little. As as, I don't think they're anything more than advertising for the movie.
I thought you'd go this route. While it's reasonable to conclude that they probably played up any similarities, it's one helluva stretch to try to discredit all they're saying based on their involvement.

That aside, however, there's still the fact that Carrey was, well, chosen to begin with, despite the fact that the producers (to my understanding) received audition tapes from several major actors. In other words, Carrey was chosen to play Kaufman in part by people who knew and worked with him. How much more definitive can you get this side of objectivity?

That aside, however, there's still the fact that Carrey was, well, chosen to begin with, despite the fact that the producers (to my understanding) received audition tapes from several major actors. In other words, Carrey was chosen to play Kaufman in part by people who knew and worked with him. How much more definitive can you get this side of objectivity?
Yes, clearly they chose him chielfy for his dead-on ability to 'become' Kaufman, and not because he was (is) one of the most bankable movie stars around.

Yes, clearly they chose him chielfy for his dead-on ability to 'become' Kaufman, and not because he was (is) one of the most bankable movie stars around.
From IMDB:

"John Cusack, Kevin Spacey, and Hank Azaria all auditioned for Andy Kaufman. While Nicolas Cage and Sean Penn are rumored to have done so."

Not all as bankable as Carrey, of course, but those are some pretty big names.

What you're basically claiming, as far as I can make out, is that people like Lawler intentionally, grossly exaggerated the quality of Carrey's impersonation, and that people like DeVito chose what you to be a poor actor for the role simply for his bankability, even though it appears they had other bankable choices available to them.

The alternative to all this, of course, is that those who knew him really do think Carrey played him well, which is in line with what moviegoers feel, too. It may not win any arguments, but this explanation seems exceedingly more likely to me.

No Good Deed

Most boring piece of **** ever (to me at least, so dont bash me just because I think so). I love Milla and all, but that movie is just too boring.

Of course not all will agree.

Not all as bankable as Carrey, of course, but those are some pretty big names.
All good actors, none even close to the boxoffice bankability of Carrey. Frankly, I think if Tom Cruise was interested, they would have leapfrogged him into the first position in a heartbeat.

What you're basically claiming, as far as I can make out, is that people like Lawler intentionally, grossly exaggerated the quality of Carrey's impersonation, and that people like DeVito chose what you to be a poor actor for the role simply for his bankability, even though it appears they had other bankable choices available to them.
I don't know where the "grossly" comes from or why you've italicized it, but yes. And it's not that Carrey is a "poor" actor or did the worst job imaginable, but once they chose him and he was the star, yes, I think every single comment by the cast and others attached to the film is tinged with, if not largely motivated by, promotion for the film. Of course. I'd say that is true of the overwhelming majority of such comments, regardless of the film or the personell being discussed. Interviews and comments of that type are primarily designed for promotion of the film. When they happen to also be true, that's a bonus, but even when it isn't true (and actors in particular are asked to promote every film they do, no matter the quality, and more often than not such praise is just noise for noise sake) they say the exact same things in the exact same tone of voice with the same adjectives attached (after all, they're actors). It begins to lose all meaning. But, that's the business.

The alternative to all this, of course, is that those who knew him really do think Carrey played him well, which is in line with what moviegoers feel, too. It may not win any arguments, but this explanation seems exceedingly more likely to me.
Of course, more likely to you (and some moviegoers, certainly not all, Cupcake - you know damn well better than to argue in absolutes), as it's what you personally believe. And you're welcome to it. Of course.

All good actors, none even close to the boxoffice bankability of Carrey. Frankly, I think if Tom Cruise was interested, they would have leapfrogged him into the first position in a heartbeat.
Nicholas Cage isn't "even close"? I'd disagree, but that's beside the point. Too much speculation here for my taste.

I don't know where the "grossly" comes from or why you've italicized it, but yes.
It comes from the fact that they claim his peformance was uncanny, whereas you believe it was actually "all wrong." That's a pretty big gap, thus any exaggeration from the latter to the former would qualify as a "gross" exaggeration.

And it's not that Carrey is a "poor" actor or did the worst job imaginable, but once they chose him and he was the star, yes, I think every single comment by the cast and others attached to the film is tinged with, if not largely motivated by, promotion for the film. Of course. I'd say that is true of the overwhelming majority of such comments, regardless of the film or the personell being discussed. Interviews and comments of that type are primarily designed for promotion of the film. When they happen to also be true, that's a bonus, but even when it isn't true (and actors in particular are asked to promote every film they do, no matter the quality, and more often than not such praise is just noise for noise sake) they say the exact same things in the exact same tone of voice with the same adjectives attached (after all, they're actors). It begins to lose all meaning. But, that's the business.
I think you're switching gears here. "Tinged" is an appropriate word, but it's a far cry from what you implied earlier. If they're raving about him, I think the reasonable conclusion is that they're playing it up out of the profit motive, but that they probably do feel he did a very good job.

Think of it this way: if you're going to lie to a family member to avoid hurting their feelings, do you generally go to the polar opposite of how you actually feel, or do you take what you actually think and modify it just enough to avoid upsetting them? I'm guessing it's the second. Mixing some truth into a lie always makes it more effective. The same principle applies to whatever praise those involved have offered Carrey: stretched, sure, but probably not beyond recognition, which is what they'd have to do for their opinions to be reconciled to yours.

Of course, more likely to you (and some moviegoers, certainly not all, Cupcake - you know damn well better than to argue in absolutes), as it's what you personally believe. And you're welcome to it. Of course.
Come on, snookums. I think you knew quite well that "moviegoers" merely referred to the majority.