Any musicians here?

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Revenant
Revs brother here, taking advantage of the empty seat by the keyboard as Revs is out of the room for a minute. I am a modest but excellent drummer, a modest but crap guitarist, and a modest but totally ****e singer!

I also play the fool, a much maligned and underrated imstrument! also not sure how to work the smilies, haven't posted on a discussion board for ages so if they're wrong it means i suck at this too!
I admire your courage!
You should sign up here, seems you'd be fun to have around.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I admire your courage!
And where the hell is he hiding Rev?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Randomly visiting for now
whew can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I play heaps of intruments:

Clarinet
Bass Clarinet
Saxaphone
Guitar
Piano
Bass Guitar
A bit of Cello

I'm so obsessed with music at the moment; listening, creating and maybe even singing (we'll see). I'm probably best at piano and Clarinet as I've done them the longest and can improvise pretty well. I've been thinking of joining a jazz act at a local jazz club because I'm loving playing Jazz piano but maybe in about a year once I'm more experienced .

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
I've been thinking of joining a jazz act at a local jazz club because I'm loving playing Jazz piano but maybe in about a year once I'm more experienced .
Once you feel ready...go for it! there is probably no better way to improve yourself as a musician than by playing in a band.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Once you feel ready...go for it! there is probably no better way to improve yourself as a musician than by playing in a band.
thanks man....maybe in 6 months then . It's harder though because everyone working there is experienced and I've been asked to try out but I've looked at some of the stuff they play and I'm almost there. Trouble is that as soon as I join they'll want me to play the next weekend so i really have to ready. Thanks for the support though

The People's Republic of Clogher
I sang with a band for 5 or 6 years in my late teens-early 20s. We started out at uni, where I met the bass player - his 3 mates were looking for a singer so I oblidged.

We played live regularly and recorded a couple of EPs, but they were only sold at gigs and through some local record shops. I guess we were 'known' on the Indie scene in the North of England for a while - mainly through association with our mates, who were in a much bigger and better band called Verve (2 of the guys had gone to art college with a couple of Verve's members).

Verve became The Verve because of a lawsuit with the record company of the same name and went on to release a million selling album and a few hit singles, then split. We, on the other hand, went on arguing over 'musical direction' (they wanted to be Pearl Jam, I wanted to be Scott Walker), got jobs to suppliment our meagre income and ended up playing Student bars alongside such talents as The Space Alligators and Chunk...

Then I married the then-delightful Mrs T (who wasn't a bad singer herself, she did a 2 month residence in a Cologne Nightclub singing Brecht & Weil type numbers), moved away and went back to college to finish any education that was left in me. Domesticity, kids, mortgages and fights gradually followed.

I come from a musical family - dad was a player in the '60s Belfast R&B scene that spawned Van Morrison and my big brother's band was regularly played on John Peel's radio show (as we were, once), yours truly was the runt of the litter. I play guitar (badly), piano (averagely) and can blast out a mean reel on the tin whistle.

My last experience of singing in front of an audience didn't end too well. Just me and a guitar sitting in the corner of a pub in Omagh, strumming a few tunes to keep the early evening punters from leaving before they started charging on the door and jacked the price of the beer up. It was awful. I didn't have a band behind me, someone to laugh with when we hit a bum note, someone to hide behind when the song didn't go down too well. It wasn't, in other words, fun.

Anyway, I forgot the words to most of the set and ended up singing American Pie 3 times before ending to the sound of a few people clapping. No fun. If I was a comedian, that'd be called dying on your arse...

Well, ladies and gentlemen, that's a potted life history. I'm getting better at posting personal stuff.

My musical history is similar to Tacitus' actually. I played in a indie rock band in the middle of the '90s. We recorded two EPs (of which only one was released) and one full length album. I played drums at first but had switched to bass in time for the last EP that was never released. Things weren't too good in the band in terms of chemistry between the band members but an american major label had showed some interest in us and wanted to hear more. So we pulled ourselves together for that last recording, but it didn't cut it for the big shot guys "over there". So I got tired of that **** and quit - it wasn't worth it.

Now I am a member of another band, playing drums again. But we're about to quit this one too. But this time it's not because we're not having fun together - that part we've got covered. Now it's because we're all going in different directions in our lives. I, for instance, have been working and studying full time this past semester and the singer is going to America for a month and then to France for one semester in the fall.

Now I'm primarily focusing on my own stuff. I play everything myself and record it on the digital porta I finally bought. I don't have the slightest idea if anyone else would like what I'm doing but I'm having lots of fun doing it. And I actually think the result is decent too.

So, in other words: I play drums and guitar (as well as bass guitar). I also own an organ which I use when I record sometimes but I would never say "I play the organ". And I sing.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I admire your courage!
I would but at the moment i am PC-less, so i can only get online when Revs is logged in.

I am also moneyless, carless, decentjob less, timeless, sadly not ageless or alwaysknackeredless

I suspect it may be some time before i am online properly so you'll have to put up with my inane ramblings in small doses for now, but ta for the vote of confidence in my funability

guitar and drums for me. 3 years-guitar 2 years-drums
And found he was eating his shoe.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Now I'm primarily focusing on my own stuff. I play everything myself and record it on the digital porta I finally bought. I don't have the slightest idea if anyone else would like what I'm doing
Maybe you should try to put some of it on the net and find out.

i have been playing the piano for 11 years now, I can play the drums but I rarely do, I tired to play the trumpet but gave that one up.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
Maybe you should try to put some of it on the net and find out.
I probably will sometime in a couple of months. Don't have a slightest idea how the hell that works though but I'm sure someone around here will help me.

history *is* moralizing
so when do we start a band?