What Are YOUR Top 3 Favourite Movies?

Tools    

Name's Charly, the spy!
Jackie Brown now there's a darn good movie.

My 3: Out Of Sight, Leaving Las Vegas & Before Sunrise.

I wished the buck stopped here
Originally posted by Steve

I don't think so. If somebody is going to post their list and not offer any explanations or defenses other than 'they're classics!' when someone disagrees, then that person is fair
I disagree Steve. Each list posted is that persons personal choice. They don't have to offer out any justification for it. To that person, they are classics. That's all that matters.

This thread became a farce as soon as "the silver bullet" posted the first reply. Fair enough, Bloodsport should have used the search tool, but bear in mind some people (beginners) do not know how to use forum functions. Now someone has been banned over nothing. Could the moderator please pm me and justify HIS choice for doing so.

Let this thread R.I.P.

By the way, at what point did Bloodsport get banned?
Dunno. But I don't think it had anything to do with this thread so much as some of his others. I never read them, but they keep winding up in the Indian Buriel Ground forum, so...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally posted by geeWcee

I disagree Steve. Each list posted is that persons personal choice. They don't have to offer out any justification for it. To that person, they are classics. That's all that matters.

This thread became a farce as soon as "the silver bullet" posted the first reply. Fair enough, Bloodsport should have used the search tool, but bear in mind some people (beginners) do not know how to use forum functions. Now someone has been banned over nothing. Could the moderator please pm me and justify HIS choice for doing so.

Let this thread R.I.P.
I was about to second that, but as it appears to have nothing to do with this thread......

I wished the buck stopped here
yes it does

he critised my list, even though i dint put a top 3 on, what an idiot.

did he seemy dvd collection on the other thread? hmmm, yeah my list sucks

yes it does
Going by what Silver says....I'd still like to know a little more though.

It was beauty killed the beast.

I don't think so. If somebody is going to post their list and not offer any explanations or defenses other than 'they're classics!' when someone disagrees, then that person is fair game. If a person doesn't feel strongly enough to defend himself, then he shouldn't have posted a list in the first place.
Can you not see that you are employing a similar technique? He call's the movies "classics", and, instead of offering explanations or arguments as to why they are not "classics", you simply attack him on a personal level. It's just a variation on a theme.

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe

Going by what Silver says....I'd still like to know a little more though.
I suspect it had something to do with all the other threads he started on the same subject... and the fact he started disrupting the other threads and broke a few of the posting rules…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I can't narrow it down. Here's my top 5

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
3. Amadeus (1984)
4. Solaris (1972)
5. Henry V (1989)

Nice list. Welcome to the forum. I'm Beale.

If someone isn't willing to defend their list, then what business do they have making one? If you can't justify what you like then you're either an orangutan or have a big heavy rock for a brain. Shut up.

Put me in your pocket...
Cripes...more rudeness...what is it with some of you? Can't you disagree without acting nasty? Would you act this in real life or is it easier to behave rudely online?

Quite frankly Steve...I agree with geeWcee. This isn't a "rate my list" thread...it simply asked for everyone's favorite. Why should someone have to "justify" his or her favorites? I could understand you asking why they liked it because you didn't...but I don't understand the demeaning attitude.

My top three favorites for the moment are:

Amélie
Braveheart
The Godfather

Ack... the … gasp… testosterone level... wheeze… in this thread... cough… is... gasp... choking me...

Originally posted by Aniko
Cripes...more rudeness...what is it with some of you? Can't you disagree without acting nasty? Would you act this in real life or is it easier to behave rudely online?

Quite frankly Steve...I agree with geeWcee. This isn't a "rate my list" thread...it simply asked for everyone's favorite. Why should someone have to "justify" his or her favorites? I could understand you asking why they liked it because you didn't...but I don't understand the demeaning attitude.
First: yes, I do 'act like this' in real life. Don't you? Do you actually prefer it when people say something you disagree with & offer no explanation?

The demeaning attitude didn't begin until Bloodsport posted a few times, & if you go back and read his posts hopefully you can understand why.

People have no business saying things they can't back up. I've no patience for that, & I have no interest in letting them get away with it.

Put me in your pocket...

First: yes, I do 'act like this' in real life. Don't you? Do you actually prefer it when people say something you disagree with & offer no explanation?

The demeaning attitude didn't begin until Bloodsport posted a few times, & if you go back and read his posts hopefully you can understand why.

People have no business saying things they can't back up. I've no patience for that, & I have no interest in letting them get away with it.
No..I don't personally insult someone in real life if I disagree with them. Whether I voice my opinion on something I disagree with depends upon the issue, situation and the person involved.

Yes...I can see Bloodsport over-reacted...but I can also see he was egged on a bit. I'm not defending him. I have seen some of his other questionable posts around. I'm merely thinking of other people who now come in and try to post a list. I can see someone feeling intimidated because of all of the nonsense that has gone on in this thread. This is a forum for all ages....what if a 12 year old came on and said he loved Pokemon, Harry Potter and Finding Nemo. Would you blast him? Everyone has different tastes.

If you can't justify what you like then you're either an orangutan or have a big heavy rock for a brain. Shut up.
This is what set me off Steve. Your rude insults towards geeWcee just because he disagreed with you. I have no patience with meanness and purposely trying to hurt someone else. I realise it's not just you. Some of the others resort to name calling and I'm just getting tired of it. There's no reason for it....it just puts the other person on the defensive and you end up with a trashed thread like this one.

By the way....you've just proven to me that you can disagree with someone without acting nasty.

Originally posted by Aniko
No..I don't personally insult someone in real life if I disagree with them. Whether I voice my opinion on something I disagree with depends upon the issue, situation and the person involved.

Yes...I can see Bloodsport over-reacted...but I can also see he was egged on a bit. I'm not defending him. I have seen some of his other questionable posts around. I'm merely thinking of other people who now come in and try to post a list. I can see someone feeling intimidated because of all of the nonsense that has gone on in this thread. This is a forum for all ages....what if a 12 year old came on and said he loved Pokemon, Harry Potter and Finding Nemo. Would you blast him? Everyone has different tastes.
Of course I wouldn't blast a 12 year old. You have to look at what I said in the context of the thread & who started it. Which brings me to the first thing you said, about disagreement: you're right, sometimes it's not a good move to voice a differing opinion. For example, if your girlfriend's dad loves Chevrolets and you're a Ford man, you better keep your mouth shut. So I understand what you're saying & mostly agree with it.

But on a movie forum? This is the ideal place for disagreement & argument. I offer an apology to everyone who was scared off by my comments.

Don't think you're getting a free pass, though. If your aim is consensus, don't post.

Also, for the record - I don't think I'm wrong in assuming the youngest posters here are often the most vulgar.

This is what set me off Steve. Your rude insults towards geeWcee just because he disagreed with you. I have no patience with meanness and purposely trying to hurt someone else. I realise it's not just you. Some of the others resort to name calling and I'm just getting tired of it. There's no reason for it....it just puts the other person on the defensive and you end up with a trashed thread like this one.

By the way....you've just proven to me that you can disagree with someone without acting nasty.
I didn't direct that at gWc, I was talking generally. I'm sorry if he took it that way & I should have clarified it. The only statement directly addressed to him was my question, which he hasn't answered.

I wasn't about to say 'it's not just me!' either...that's the mother of all cop-outs.

Uh huh.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I don't really see the point in taking the time and effort to start a thread about favourite films and then not wanting to motivate your choices. That's the whole idea of this movie forums thing, isn't it? I hate these threads when people just say "I love Reservoir Dogs!" but don't tell us why or get pissed off when someone disagrees. I think this should be a discussion forum firstly and a "list board" secondly. However there is absolutely no need to be rude or nasty when it's uncalled for. That's just my opinion.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Too hard of a question - it's impossible to choose! But the three that come to mind are:

Sophie's Choice
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Aliens

Pulp Fiction
Chicago
Black Hawk Down