1,200 lbs of ...?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Alvin
rather than to just be quietly concerned from 3000 miles away.
Concern without action is usually the first step- but before long it tends to be a waste of mind and matter. I think if your not going to get up and do anything about the issue- it doesnt do a whole lot of good to moan about it.

Not a personal jab, here, just a thought...

Well, to be fair this thread started so people could moan about what a shame it was that someone could get so fat. So I think I'm allowed to moan as I see fit. But no, I'm not going to get up and do anything about the issue, because as I say, things closer to home are more of an issue.

Never having been addicted to anything I'm totally naive when I speak like this, but from my naive viewpoint, I can't help but judge. Maybe I'm just a bastard, but when people in Africa who have never had any opportunities are starving to death, I find it very hard to care when people waste their chances in life by chain smoking or eating at KFC six times a day. Good luck to him, I'm not evil enough to actually wish the guy dead, I just care far less about the overfed than about the underfed.
You offer this man no understanding...you see what you want to see....a big roly poly fat man who caused his own disease. What is the source of his problem? Who cares, he is fat. He is asking for help and all you can do is continue to point out that he is fat. He realises he has a problem, he wants to change his life, still he is judged.

Would you have the same reaction if he was suffering from Anorexia Nervosa? I'm just curious.

Fat people eat six KFCs a day? Jeez, you even label them with bad taste.

You are aware that there are numerous medical conditions physical and psychological, along with numerous types of medical drugs which cause people to retain fluid, gain weight...but then at the end of the day they are fat - tough. You see the superficial.

As for cancer -

I do things everyday that increase my chances of developing cancer. My deodorant can is increasing my chance of developing cancer. A sexual relationship increases the risk of developing cancer. I didnt eat my five portions of fruit and vegetables today - I just increased my chances of cancer. I hung out with my sister who smokes...I increased my chances of cancer.

I realise what I do, but yet I do it...I guess im not perfect.

You're right, I would sympathise more with someone who has anorexia than someone who is obese, is every cry for help really equal to you? If so then I'm very impessed but quite sure you'd find yourself in the minority. And yes, I am superficial, if I got to know the guy I might think I had him totally wrong and that he was absolutely deserving of my utmost concern, but without knowing him I stereotype, I know in many cases it may be wrong to do so, but in a lot it's right too.

I do apologise for my KFC comment if it caused offence, it was, as Yoda would say, "ridiculous hyperbole", I'm sure most only eat 2 or 3.

As for cancer, I see what you're getting at, but we both know they're not comparable to a smoking addiction/alcholism. For one thing the big label on a pack of cigarettes warning that they will kill you probably isn't found on your deodorant or sexual partner, the latter of which I was under the impression tended to increase one's lifespan, provided it isn't undertaken as a string of one-night promiscuities. Your sister, well, I can't expect you not to spend time with her, my best friend has just given up smoking and I didn't abandon him when he did smoke, although I gave him a fair amount of **** for it and I'd like to think that contributed to him kicking the habit. Oh, and eat more fruit.

there's a frog in my snake oil
You're right, I would sympathise more with someone who has anorexia than someone who is obese,
Some people are 'immune' to exercise, and the waters of these energy-rich times don't always run straight.

On those communal grounds, you can cut the guy's slacks some slack.

is every cry for help really equal to you?
Seeing as she's a nurse immersed, you should probably listen to her call.

[Altho damn Ophie, what's with the sex cancer? enough with the sex cancer! ]

---

Good to see another Islander on the boards btw

You're right, I would sympathise more with someone who has anorexia than someone who is obese, is every cry for help really equal to you?
It is equal, as both people are killing themselves, buy either over eating or not eating, so they both need our sympathy and help.

As for cancer, sexual partner, the latter of which I was under the impression tended to increase one's lifespan,
It has been proven that women who are married to men who are not circumcised get more cervical cancer than ones married to circumcised men.

my best friend has just given up smoking and I didn't abandon him when he did smoke, although I gave him a fair amount of **** for it and I'd like to think that contributed to him kicking the habit..
So if your friend develops lung Cancer sometime in the future, will you be sympathetic or tell him, you did this yourself so cop it

Originally Posted by nebbit
It has been proven that women who are married to men who are not circumcised get more cervical cancer than ones married to circumcised men.
But I suspect that those who don't get any at all last less time than either, so it's not so much increasing your risk of a premature death, just not decreasing it by so much.

So if your friend develops lung Cancer sometime in the future, will you be sympathetic or tell him, you did this yourself so cop it
Well, that really depends on when he develops it as to whether I blame him, if it's in 50 years I probably wouldn't be so inclined to think it were as directly his fault as if he develops it in 6 months. However, I have a little more tact than to insult my friend over getting lung cancer, it's far easier to say what you really think about someone unknown to you.

Oh good. for a minute there i thought you were a Jerk
I am, but not an idiot.