The Gunslinger45's Top 10 Favorite Video Games

Tools    

Jumping on the band wagon for these non movie lists. So I might as well do one for my favorite video games. I am not a gamer anymore, having not touched a console game in over a decade, owning no PC games or games for my phone, and not going to video arcades since they are a dying breed. So here is a taste of what I liked to play over the years I did play video games. From early elementary school to when I stopped at age 18.

I am not limiting this list to just console and PC games either as I will allow entries from the Arcade. Just to keep things interesting.

PS2

Favorite Weapon: Jackhammer and the Desert Eagle

A video game my brother first played on the PC, but I got into when we got it on the consoles. We had this game when we had a PS2. Not only was it a fantastic and at the time very unique shooter with the use of bullet time, but I loved the aesthetics. The gritty noir feel, the voice over narration, the betrayals, twists, and some pretty mind bending nightmare sequences.

Also as a gun guy I liked the weapon selection. Even though some of the weapon selection I knew was BS. Like the duel welding pistols and MAC 10's, and the 50 AE Desert Eagle as a combat pistol. But then again, it is a video game so who cares? It was a lot of fun.

And the villains were frequent and pretty varied. From the Mob, Satanists, Corporate stooges, to general scum bags. Looking back on it it was like a video game version of The Big Sleep of sorts. A very large, very interconnected, kinda confusing, and totally weird web of lies, intrigue. But it was a blast. Was one hell of a ride.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

PS2

Favorite Weapon: Jackhammer and the Desert Eagle

A video game my brother first played on the PC, but I got into when we got it on the consoles. We had this game when we had a PS2. Not only was it a fantastic and at the time very unique shooter with the use of bullet time, but I loved the aesthetics. The gritty noir feel, the voice over narration, the betrayals, twists, and some pretty mind bending nightmare sequences.

Also as a gun guy I liked the weapon selection. Even though some of the weapon selection I knew was BS. Like the duel welding pistols and MAC 10's, and the 50 AE Desert Eagle as a combat pistol. But then again, it is a video game so who cares? It was a lot of fun.

And the villains were frequent and pretty varied. From the Mob, Satanists, Corporate stooges, to general scum bags. Looking back on it it was like a video game version of the Big Heat of sorts. A very large, very interconnected, kinda confusing, and totally weird web of lies, intrigue. But it was a blast. Was one hell of a ride.

Max Payne is a video game? I thought it was a movie.

Nintendo 64

Favorite Characters: Captain Falcon & Pikachu.
Runners Up: Link and Fox

As we move away from the gritty crime of NYC with Max Payne, we move to something lighter and less bloody and far more cartoony in it's violence. You gotta love a fighting game that has a bunch of Nintendo characters from multiple games crossing over to smack the crap out of each other. I mean Mario can finally beat the hell out of Luigi, Donkey Kong can b**** slap Link, and Pikachu can use Thunder on Yoshi. Who they hell doesn't love the idea of this game!

I was part of a Japanese Club in High School and we would have 4 way fights en mass. A great party game for a bunch of nerds. My favorite character to play was Captain Falcon and Pikachu. But I was also pretty damn good with Link and Fox. My brother favored Samus.

Arcade Game

Favorite Characters: Wolverine and Nightcrawler

From the consoles to a staple of my early years going to arcades. I have wasted Lord knows how much money at the various arcades I went to as a youth, but this one I have the best memories of for a pure arcade title since I never found a copy for the consoles when I was a gamer. I am sure I could get it off steam nowadays, but I am out of that scene.

This was an excellent beat em up, especially if you were playing with a friend. Or in my case my brother. The X-Men who were featured in the game were from a pilot called Pryde of the X-Men. It was okay as a show, but why the hell they made Wolverine an Aussie I will never know. But the characters in the game were cool. Each with his/her own strengths and weaknesses when it came to melee and ranged combat. You had 6 choices: Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Dazzler, and Nightcrawler. We played all of the characters at least once, but me and my brother had our favorites. When I played alone, I was Wolverine since he was my favorite of the X Men. But when I played with my brother, since he was older and got first dibs, I also played a lot with my second favorite X Man, Nightcrawler. It took a lot of quarters but me and my brother beat the game. Beating foes like the Blob, Wendigo, The White Queen, and finally Magneto. Love good old fashion beat em ups, and this was always one of the best.

SNES

Favorite Character: Raphael
Runner Up: Michelangelo

The feel of an arcade beat em up on the console. Our very first console at that. We never had a NES growing up, we jumped on board when the Super Nintendo was introduced. And growing up me and my brother loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so this was a given for us to play. And we tag teamed those Foot bastards so hard too. We beat this game so many times, but it was just so much fun to do.

It was another side scrolling beat em up with similar rules. Beat up Foot soldiers en mass until you reach the level boss, then move on. With occasional levels like when you rode of sewer boards. End level bosses included Baxter Stockman, Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang, Leatherhead, Metalhead, Mousers, and eventually Shredder himself. And unlike the X-Men Arcade game, I never had to settle to play my favorite character. My brother always played Leonardo, while my favorite character was Raphael. Though I did play Michelangelo a lot too. Either way, we ended SO many foot soldiers in this game.

Cowabunga indeed.

Those X-Men arcade games were all awesome.
Children of the Atom was fun too, but I preferred the Marvel Super Heroes one more. Which barely missed out. For that game I preferred Wolverine and Iron Man.

A friend of mine gave me his copy of Max Payne awhile back, but I still haven't played it.

LOVE Super Smash Brothers. One of my all-time favorite video games.

I've never played the X-Men game, but I have a great fondness for the old beat-em-ups, so I'm sure I would've loved it.

SNES

Favorite Characters: Sub Zero and Johnny Cage
Runners Up: Scorpion, Reptile, and Baraka
Other great characters: Liu Kang, Raiden, and Kung Lao

Holy crap Mortal Kombat was not just a game for me in elementary school, it was an obsession! between the games and the movie, I was in full Mortal Kombat fever! And while Ultimate Mortal Kombat III did give this a run for it's money as my favorite game, ultimately this title won out for two reasons. One is that I did not like Sub Zero's look in MK3, and second there was no Johnny Cage since they killed him off in 3! Which sucked since he was my favorite character in the movie (and do not even get me started on the abomination that was Mortal Kombat: Annihilation).

Every the lightning rod for controversy, when we got the first Mortal Kombat we had to get the censored "black blood" version for the Super Nintendo. It was not until MKII that we got to see the full effect of the blood. Not to mention there were some cool new additions to the fighting roster. Now playable was Shang Tsueng, Kung Lao was introduced, Baraka was introduced, and Reptile was no longer a secret character. Me and my brother, as well as our friends played this for HOURS on end. Mastering Fatalities and just beating the crap out of each other. And while Kano was not in this (who was one of my favs from the first game) there were plenty of new and old favorites to pick up the slack.

I loved this series. We had the games, I had the action figures (I especially loved Reptile with his boat and the Kano cycle), and I even watched that crappy animated show on USA. And this was my favorite of the series.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't know how many real fights Mortal Kombat led to for me. My little brother hated me at times because of it. A friend of mine shared a similar story about Mortal Kombat and his little brother. Great game, but terrible for familial relationships.

I don't know how many real fights Mortal Kombat led to for me. My little brother hated me at times because of it. A friend of mine shared a similar story about Mortal Kombat and his little brother. Great game, but terrible for familial relationships.
I myself never had that problem. But I do remember the look on my brothers face when I was able to do Liu Kang's Dragon fatality (a feat he had not done yet). Awesome sauce.

SNES

Favorite Power Up: Feather
Favorite Yoshi: Blue Yoshi

The very first console video game we played on our very first console, and it set the bench mark for video games for a long long time. This was actually the video game included with the system when we bought it.

Kinda hard to top this game. Classic Mario fun but with a new twist in the form of the introduction of one of my favorite video game characters, Yoshi. Always a welcomed companion on the quest to save Princess Toadstool, it would come to pass that there were in fact several Yoshi species. The normal Green Yoshi (who gained a different ability depending on the shell he ate), the Red Yoshi (always a fireball), the Blue Yoshi (always flying), and Yellow (always the stomp ability). I always favored the blue one as I liked the ability to fly.

This was a game so good I got a copy for my GameBoy Advance when I had one. Always a fun game to play.

Nintendo 64

Favorite game: Leon B
Favorite Character: Leon
Favorite Weapon: Magnum

This is actually one of only two Resident Evil games I ever played. The other was Code Veronica. This was easily my favorite. I would prefered to play Claire's A game first, since I much preferred Leon's B game to Leon's A game or Claire's B game.

I really liked this survival horror game, though I admit I played this game more like a shooter. My best strategy was to use no or minimal ammo until I got to the police station, then my strategy was to use up all the 9mm ammo for the handgun in the beginning of the game and hoard away all the magnum ammo I found as well as some shotgun ammo. By the time I got to the Umbrella secret lab, I had LOTS of ammo for either the shotgun or the magnum. Whichever I favored to use in the end part of the game. My favorite was the magnum upgraded for the final boss, but I always had shotgun ammo on hand since that was the best on the lickers.

Nothing against Claire, but I just liked Leon's weapons more. The grenade launcher was okay, and the crossbow was fun, but give me a standard shotgun and a hand cannon any day over Claires more exotic weapons.