Worst Date Movie Experience?

Tools    

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
Fairly straight forward question.

Let me start by saying I love my girlfriend very much but I did make a horrible mistake last week. You see, we have a great relationship. We have a dog, a cat, and a beautiful house and my life is objectively better having her in it. However, the one crack in here is that we can almost never agree on movies. She hates my favorite film (The Town) because “Ben Affleck has a stupid face and his character was dishonest” as her favorite film is Miss Doubtfire. This isn’t to say that one film is better than the other, but a lot of the time she misses the artistic appeal of movies.

Anyway, this story took place about two weeks ago. We’ve been on two different schedules (I work days, she works nights) and live by a theater so I’ve been catching a lot of movies solo. I was anticipating all the Oscar nominated animated shorts, and it was finally showing so I went and loved them all. They were all pretty light hearted, so I told her about them and we decided to go back the next day together.

The next day comes, and she ends up having to work late so we couldn’t make the animated ones. Being the doofus I am, I figured “ah well, there’s a later showing of the live action shorts we can both make, let’s just do that.”

(Slight CW)

Holy hell I was wrong. DeKalb Elementary started everything off. If you haven’t seen it yet, it involves a school shooting. I look to my right and see she is holding her hands over her eyes and crying. My adrenaline is through the roof. FWIW, it was my favorite of the bunch, but it is an intense experience.

Twenty one breathless minutes later, it stops and the next short (The Silent Child) soon plays. If you haven’t seen that, it is about a deaf girl who befriends her sign language teacher. It is heartwarming for the majority, but there’s an emotionally crushing ending that raises awareness on just how badly the world can treat deaf children. I look over, girlfriend is still crying.

During the interval she asks me “are all of these going to be sad?” Before I answer the next film plays. The title is My Nephew Emmett. She looks at me, and the opening shot reads “Mississippi, 1955”. She reads this and we have to walk out. There was no way we were going to be able to handle a film about Emmett Till at that moment.

Needless to say, we went home and held our dog in bed while watching a film we both agreed on being great eye bleach, Paddington.

So what I’m saying is, please for the sake of god remind me to google movies before I buy tickets again.

My girlfriend hates violent movies . Several times she has walked out of the theatre because of excessive violence in a movie. Sometimes just because she anticipated coming violence.

Once I was seeing a girl, she wanted to see Saw IV. After I purchased tickets for both of us, we sat there and got ready. She told me she started to regret and were not certain if she wanted to see it because she would be too scared. She left the theatre 5 mins after the movie began. And I stayed.

We never saw each other again.

The end.

Once asked a girl out to a nearby theater. It was a smaller theater and was only playing three movies. First listing I saw was Finding Neverland. Wasn't that interested in it.

The other two listings were Vera Drake, which is about abortion, and Hotel Rwanda, which is about genocide.

Finding Neverland was okay.

She left the theatre 5 mins after the movie began. And I stayed.

We never saw each other again.

The end.
This is someone who loves the Saw series hahah

Once asked a girl out to a nearby theater. It was a smaller theater and was only playing three movies. First listing I saw was Finding Neverland. Wasn't that interested in it.

The other two listings were Vera Drake, which is about abortion, and Hotel Rwanda, which is about genocide.

Finding Neverland was okay.
Vera Drake and Hotel Rwanda are more interesting topics.. .dont get me wrong.. Im a lover of Myths and Fairytales.. and Finding Neverland was a good movie.

Fairly straight forward question.

Let me start by saying I love my girlfriend very much but I did make a horrible mistake last week. You see, we have a great relationship. We have a dog, a cat, and a beautiful house and my life is objectively better having her in it. However, the one crack in here is that we can almost never agree on movies. She hates my favorite film (The Town) because “Ben Affleck has a stupid face and his character was dishonest” as her favorite film is Miss Doubtfire. This isn’t to say that one film is better than the other, but a lot of the time she misses the artistic appeal of movies.

Anyway, this story took place about two weeks ago. We’ve been on two different schedules (I work days, she works nights) and live by a theater so I’ve been catching a lot of movies solo. I was anticipating all the Oscar nominated animated shorts, and it was finally showing so I went and loved them all. They were all pretty light hearted, so I told her about them and we decided to go back the next day together.

The next day comes, and she ends up having to work late so we couldn’t make the animated ones. Being the doofus I am, I figured “ah well, there’s a later showing of the live action shorts we can both make, let’s just do that.”

(Slight CW)

Holy hell I was wrong. DeKalb Elementary started everything off. If you haven’t seen it yet, it involves a school shooting. I look to my right and see she is holding her hands over her eyes and crying. My adrenaline is through the roof. FWIW, it was my favorite of the bunch, but it is an intense experience.

Twenty one breathless minutes later, it stops and the next short (The Silent Child) soon plays. If you haven’t seen that, it is about a deaf girl who befriends her sign language teacher. It is heartwarming for the majority, but there’s an emotionally crushing ending that raises awareness on just how badly the world can treat deaf children. I look over, girlfriend is still crying.

During the interval she asks me “are all of these going to be sad?” Before I answer the next film plays. The title is My Nephew Emmett. She looks at me, and the opening shot reads “Mississippi, 1955”. She reads this and we have to walk out. There was no way we were going to be able to handle a film about Emmett Till at that moment.

Needless to say, we went home and held our dog in bed while watching a film we both agreed on being great eye bleach, Paddington.

So what I’m saying is, please for the sake of god remind me to google movies before I buy tickets again.

Thanks mate, you crack me up.

And i feel you too. But she seems to be a kind person, take good care of her.

Well, yeah, but they're terrible date movies.
I dont know... I thought it was a very good movie... and I would have enjoyed it.

I dont know... I thought it was a very good movie... and I would have enjoyed it.
Not entirely sure we're on the same page here, since the quality of the movies in question is mostly unrelated to whether or not they're good date movies.

Obviously individuals are varied enough that anyone could end up really liking any movie you take them to no matter how bizarre or disturbing, but that seems like a needless risk to take on a date, where you presumably don't know the person especially well yet, and which can be awkward even with the most anodyne choice of activity.

I'm writing little plot summaries for this in my head.

"When Amanda inherits her great uncle's hotel, she's in over her heard, until a very special guests arrives...starring Kate Hudson and, I dunno, Hugh Jackman or something."

Not entirely sure we're on the same page here, since the quality of the movies in question is mostly unrelated to whether or not they're good date movies.

Obviously individuals are varied enough that anyone could end up really liking any movie you take them to no matter how bizarre or disturbing, but that seems like a needless risk to take on a date, where you presumably don't know the person especially well yet, and which can be awkward even with the most anodyne choice of activity.
Perhaps so. Hotel Rowanda is a politically charged film. You would have to know the person better. Everyone is different. Did you ask her opinion on which film to see?

It would make an interesting conversation piece after the film.

Well, yeah, but they're terrible date movies.
I definitely think there’s a difference between a “good” movie and a “good date” movie. A good date movie is definitely going to be more feel good, whereas a good movie can be a total downer.

Perhaps so. Hotel Rowanda is a politically charged film. You would have to know the person better. Everyone is different.
Even accounting for how different people can be, I have a hard time imagining that even people interested in such films (of which I am generally one) probably don't find them romantic.

Did you ask her opinion on which film to see?
Don't recall; I think I just made a suggestion.

It would make an interesting conversation piece after the film.
"What's your major, and at what point do you think civil wars become ethnic cleansing and require international intervention?"