Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yul gonna love it @Dani8
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

OMG I forgot how brutal this movie was.
Now THAT is the way orange and teal should be done.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Some more ridiculously stupid bromance action. Unfortunately Jonathon Rhys Meyers let this down which surprised me. Totally overshadowed by Travolta and Kasia Smutniak.

Mystic River (2003)

Let me start by saying that I've had a mixed-reaction to Sean Penn movies. Some I've really liked, some I haven't, but there have never been any that, due to his performance, I've flat-out loved. That's changed with this movie. I loved him in this film. He plays Jimmy Markum, a local "businessman," who has had throughout his life a criminal connection, even doing time for a friend whose crime Jimmy admitted to. He believes in loyalty of friendship. But, going back to his childhood, he had a friendship with two neighborhood boys, Dave and Sean. Dave is abducted by two men in a car and is sexually abused for days until he escapes. This event causes a rift between the three friends. Dave (Tim Robbins) and Sean (Kevin Bacon), along with Jimmy, drift apart in their adult life, yet are still somewhat friendly with each other. Then Jimmy's beloved daughter Katie (Emmy Rossum) is found murdered and Jimmy's life crumbles. He will do anything to find out who killed her and mete out "justice" to that person.

On the same night that Katie was murdered, Dave, who has never been the same since his childhood trauma, comes home with someone else's blood on him and a bruised hand. His wife Celeste (Marcia Gay Harden) suspects him in association with Katie's murder. He says he beat a mugger. The truth is somewhere in-between. Sean is now a detective, who, along with his partner Whitey Powers (Laurence Fishburne), investigate several leads. All of this brings the three estranged friends back into each others immediate circles, with major tension resulting. But in this movie, it's Penn's performance that really anchors this movie for me. In the past I've disliked certain Penn roles because he seemed to always be scowling throughout the entire movie, almost like he didn't want to be there. But here he's a family man (albeit one with a criminal past) who isn't afraid to show a softer side in his love for family, and sorrow when he loses his character's daughter. I know he's done movies where his role is more sensitive. I've just been unfortunate enough to see him in the "scowly" flicks where his persona, at least to me, was negative throughout. This movie changed all that for me. I was really jazzed by his Jimmy Markum in this.

Clint Eastwood directed this, and I'm a huge fan of his. That's what really drew me to this movie. Tim Robbins won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, but I think Penn had the more nuanced role. The entire cast is perfection and there are more than a few surprises in the script. I really liked the final scene in particular between two men across the street with a parade between them. I want to see this one again soon. It takes its time, deals with the characters mostly over the mystery, which in this case works in spades. Best of all, I'm inspired to see more Sean Penn films. A highly recommended movie.

The First Power (1990)
Director: Robert Resnikoff

Good and terrible. Boring because it's routine with no colorful dialog to balance out the routineness of it. Shame. Lou Diamond Philips looks too delicate to be a rough detective. A few very well staged action sequences unfortunately cannot save this movie from yawnsville. Of course there are about 4 end climaxes where we know he's not dead yet. Yawn. Not one flash of nudity really brings this down into the mud. When the dialog is cardboard and the story is cliche ridden, not having breasts or butts is the ultimate sin. The First Power is evil, but not because of the story. It's evil because it bores the viewer to death and isn't any fun.

Maybe an action movie then__(_(__!

Welcome to the human race...
The Dark Tower -

This Killer Joe sequel really goes off the rails fast.

Raw (2016) (Dir. Julia Ducournau)

Julia Ducournau has the posh, art school sensibility of Xavier Dolan, and the surreal social curiosity of Yorgos Lanthimos, but for a film so concerned with restraint, she doesn't exert enough of it here. Raw is full of ideas which blur the line between lust, hunger, addiction, and various indulgences. It's about social pressures, the crude animilism we've come to normalize, the vulgarity of our anatomy, and a half dozen other interesting ideas. Unfortunately, these threads fail to coalesce into a cogent, satisfying point.

The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008) (Dir. Uli Edel)

Uli Edel serves up a rather broad overview of the actions of the Red Faction Army, sacrificing the intimacy that similar films like Speilberg's Munich managed to achieve in exchange for historical intelligence. Under the pace and structure of a thriller, The Baader Meinhof Complex effortlessly outlines the many major events and personalities of the period. As cinema, it's not very groundbreaking or artful, but as edutainment it excels, painlessly providing the audience with a respectable framework that ordinarily would require absorbing much dryer material to obtain. It's a gummy vitamin for the silver screen.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Raw (2016) (Dir. Julia Ducournau)

Julia Ducournau has the posh, art school sensibility of Xavier Dolan, and the surreal social curiosity of Yorgos Lanthimos, but for a film so concerned with restraint, she doesn't exert enough of it here. Raw is full of ideas which blur the line between lust, hunger, addiction, and various indulgences. It's about social pressures, the crude animilism we've come to normalize, the vulgarity of our anatomy, and a half dozen other interesting ideas. Unfortunately, these threads fail to coalesce into a cogent, satisfying point.
I agree about Raw, but would rate it slightly higher. It's a very neat film, but once you realise the concept half way through - there is little room for manoevre.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Is it really a 10 out of 10 movie? I like it, don't get me wrong but I also feel it is too highly rated in many places. It's an enjoyable feel good tale. I'd rate it 8/10 perhaps.

Rififi -

Well damn, now I want to watch nothing but heist movies for a week.
It's good isn't it. That scene, the setup alarm scene and the ending are just perfect. I'd rate it as one of the best heist films ever. 'The Killing' is up there too.

Brotherhood Of The Wolf

What a cluster! What starts as a kind of period piece/monster movie unravels and mutates into a mystery horror conspiracy theory gothic Kung Fu action film all wrapped up in an 18th century French historical fiction. Oh but its not fiction! This crazy lumbering Frankenstein of a movie is based on a TRUE STORY! What?? Is the true story as disjointed and confusing as this thing?

I give it points for having the guts to try to combine such divergent movie styles into one film, it would have been absolutely amazing if it had actually worked. But it doesnt unfortunately. Theres too many significant characters and its all stitched together sloppily and with too many plot points and inconsistencies.

There is a nice Predator homage in it though. And influences from movies like Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Sleepy Hollow are fairly obvious. Oh and if Im not mistaken, in addition to all the other mess, this film featured two love interests for the protagonist. A romantic love interest (for a romance we don’t really ever see develop) AND a double agent prostitute who is basically a female James Bond for the Vatican. What again? Only in France I guess…

5/10

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III (Series currently available on Netflix streaming service)-

Well, that took a left turn into where.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III (2014) is the last movie released in a series, based on a manga entitled Berserk. I first began watching these because I had heard that the manga was a source of inspiration to the Dark Souls series of video games, so I was curious. Oddly enough, I am not really a fan of those games per se, but I am a fan of their fiction and aesthetics.

Now, as for my rating of this movie. Currently my main problem with it, is that there are some pacing/editing issues. I would have rated it lower, if it wasn't for its transcendental nature near the midpoint. Outside of Enter the Void, this is the only movie I have seen that has made me feel like I was experiencing death and the afterlife, and the amount of care and effort put into this movie's imagery for it is impressive.

Be forewarned however, Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III depicts a brutal rape scene, and I suspect that fans of the manga series will not like it either. Additionally, if you were to start at the beginning of the series, you will find that this last one takes a sharp left turn tonally, but for me this made all the difference. Honestly, I'm not quite sure who I would recommend this movie to, outside people who found Enter the Void to be compelling, so there you have it.