Name me some movies...

Tools    

I've always been fascinated by the granddaddy of all serial killers, Jack the Ripper; the Ripper's story has been fallow ground for filmmakers. His identity was never discovered, so there was a lot of room for "artistic license."

A number of films have been made theorizing on various possibilities as to the Ripper's identity:
  • The Lodger (various versions, although the 1927 Hitchcock is considered the definitive)
  • Murder by Decree (1979)
  • Time After Time (also 1979)
  • Jack the Ripper (TV Movie, 1988)
  • From Hell (2001)

Just curioose...

Did you read Patricia Cornwell's book Portrait of a Serial Killer; Jack the Ripper Case Closed?

I've never yet seen a criminal under arrest or on trial who didn't have a story about how fate conspired against them to bring them to the such a low point. Some seem fairly reasonable, sometimes almost believeable until you stop and think about how many people suffered so much worse and yet never robbed, never killed.

Sure, society may sometimes contribute; so can heredity, lack of education, and many other factors. But most of the people who grew up in Hell's Kitchen did not turn to crime. Plenty of people lacked proper school, but some taught themselves to read and became successes in the business world. As for heredity, Al Capone had one brother who died in the Chicago crime wars, but he had another brother who was a respected lawman in another community. Texas gunman John Wesley Hardin was the son of a Methodist preacher and the brother of an attorney, both of whom were lynched by a mob after Hardin killed a popular deputy in Comanche, Texas, and escaped.

If it only took hate, injustice, and hard treatment to produce a criminal or killer, every one of the millions freed from German death camps after World War II should have become a mass murderer. Every GI who comes home from war, should be a potential gunman.

Criminals make excuses for their actions; few ever own up to the fact they made the choice to rob and kill. And movies seldom show the dirty side of their outlaw subjects.
I understand. I just bring myself to reckon, because this movie is almost a heartfelt tribute to the more human side of a serial killer (or "monster") that its main purpose was to reach out and strike some love (or at least understanding) for a massively corrupted human. Perhaps there are simply others who are able to keep sanity or cope in the times of their life that drag them down into great diversity and challenge them to fall onto the wrong path, as you mentioned, lack of education, the horrors of war, etc. And I wasn't necessarily trying to imply that this woman deserves to be loved by anyone for her putrid actions, because, yes there are worse cases that do not bring others to such disgrace. Obviously, this woman was barely able to attain any of that strength, or sanity whatsoever.

And there's always that option of course, had this been some sort of detective crime drama regarding those who worked in the trial to bring her to justice, it would be quite hard to understand her at all, for many, and barely any pity and/or compassion to her struggle, even though that was emphasized and in ways possibly exaggerated in the film.

Movie Forums Extra
I was going to suggest American Psycho, but I don't think it's demented as you were wanting. I will have to think about this one.

Hi there. I have two titles but i don't know if that is what you mean.
What about well-known Taxi Driver. Travis isn't maybe a murderer, or a criminal at all, but this movie has some nice insight into how corrupting violence is even when it comes to fair-minded people.

The second thing is Crime and Punishment. Someone here wrote 'why are the criminals always clumsy'. Well Dostoevsky has an answer. What is more, Dostoevsky did a long research on this topic. So i guess, Crime and Punishment is the most comprehensible and credible guide to how a criminal mind works.
The problem is, i have never seen a good adaptation of this book, and the more western it is, the worse for the movie.

Uh, did nobody else notice the practically nonexistant breast in this picture? I'm pretty sure that's a naked lady behind that man - correct me if I'm wrong. Just had to say something since I thought viewable boobs weren't allowed here (you're all getting desensitized by Nebbit's avatars, I think).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There sure are a lot of man boobs all over the place though, and much more prominenty displayed.