What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

Wow...reading this thread has brought back so many memories of great movies that I may just spend the rest of the weekend glued to the tv screen! Classicqueen I think we may have been seperated at birth....

It's so hard to pick just one movie, because so many movies influenced me in so many different ways.

If I have to pick just one? I guess it would be Meet me in St. Louis with Judy Garland. The story, the music, the scenery...I can still recite the movie word for word, describe every costume in detail..I could probably even draw a blue-print of their house. I had always loved the wizard of oz, but this is the film that really made me sit up and take notice of Judy Garland's amazing talent and turned me into a lifelong fan.

Bryan Singer for Superman.
There were a few for me, they are...Dirty Dancing, The Neverending Story, Gremlins, C.H.O.M.P.S, Blue Hawaii, Lassie, Superman, the old Bond movies, Grease, Footloose, Fame. I think there was always a like to movies, my whole family loves them, we have movie nights each week.

"La Dolce' Vita" started it all for me, and then I'll have to say "Jaws" remarkable films that had a perfect formula

Dave
On Screen

I got to say Blade Runner. It was the first movie I had ever seen that made me really made me realize that film could be an art. I asked my father after I saw it if it had been recognized, he said yes. Part of my faith in humanity came back. An amazing film, there really isn't anything I dislike about it.

Female Jungle Poster

The wonderful imagery alone stunned as a child (and it still holds me today!).

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

I have always enjoyed watching movies but the one that got me into analyzing them for their messages was without a doubt Secret Window. Johnny Depp's character Mort Rainey is my favorite movie character of all time. The way that he was driven insane by his own divided brain is what really got me hocked on movies.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Well.

I was born in 1982, and as such I missed the whole Star Wars craze, in the theaters that is. My earliest memories of watching films is not in a movie theater, like many people, but on VHS.

I dad and I were poor growing up and we had a VCR, but we really couldn't go watch a movie every week. We couldn't really even afford to rent films. We didn't have cable either. Gasp!! What's a young kid to do!

Go to the public library of course! Use someone elses VCR! Make my very own copy of The Empire Strikes Back at age four or so! Of course I also checked out the other two Star Wars films, but even at the ripe age of four I prefered Empire Strikes Back. I can say it's because I knew it was darker and a better film than the other two. The truth is I probably like Yoda a lot and also I was always fascinated with the Cloud City, especially the huge vent shaft that Luke falls into. Plus it made the lightsaber fights in the other two films look like rubbish.

So yes, I was a VCR-phile and making illegal copies after my dad showed me how, at the age of four.

From there on I copied many movies. I did have a soft spot for Harry and the Hendersons at the time. Other movies I enjoyed were The Terminator, Flight of the Navigator, An American Tale (made me sad as a child), Labyrinth, and so on.

My first real cinematic experiences in the theater that I recall would probably be The Land Before Time and Batman.

I remember being utterly destroyed when Little Foot's mother dies and of course the very sad and moving music by James Horner. Of course I didn't know why it made me sad, and at age six I sure didn't know who James Horner was. I loved the animation, the darkness of the film, and of course every kid has a thing for dinosaurs when they are little. At least if you were born in the 80's you did.

Batman I watched with mom during one of her visitations. I loved how it was so real to me at the time because I had really only known Batman as a cartoon/comic or from the old TV show which I watched from time to time. So I remember being very wowed by Batman.

As I got older a couple movies I was obsessed with were City Slickers (still am) and Robin Hood (not so much now).

In eighth grade I watched Sergeant York, which was probably the first "old" movie I watched in one sitting from start to finish. From there on out it was pretty much me seeking out films that I think I might like and giving a lot of the older stuff a chance. I also had a bit of an obsession with The Shawshank Redemption when I was in eighth grade. I still enjoy it today, but it doesn't hold the importance that it did to me back then.

I think I was a junior or senior in high school when I watched Blade Runner and was amazed at how great the special effects were for a film that was made the year I was born. Red River is a film that I grew obsessed with my junior year of high school and it quickly became a favorite and remains a favorite today.

Then my senior year in high school I took a film class, of which we watched 20 or so movies and I had seen half of them already and we had to write papers on them. One film I didn't see was Taxi Driver, which blew me the Hell away. I remember sitting in class being awed by it. That lead me to go online and want to write and discuss films which led me to Rotten Tomatoes and then I got banned from there, which lead me to find Movieforums and now you all know my life story... To summarize basically in one film, Empire Strikes Back as a lad. I appreciated the form of story telling and to a bored kid it was a life saber!

I'm sure there's more to my story, but that's all for now.

oh yeah!

And then after posting on message forums, the first film that got me into appreciating foreign films was Aguirre the Wrath of God. I had been watching For a Few Dollars More for years and I had some sort of odd obsession with the hunchback. When I found out that was the guy in who was in this film called Aguire the Wrath of God and stared in his very own film!, I rented it and loved it. Then I started to seek other foreign films. The Seventh Seal is another of the foreign films which allowed me to appreciate subtitles.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for me. Childhood favourite growing up.

Female Jungle Poster
So...I never answered this thread, even though I thought it was an amazing one.

And my answer is Legend.

It's not the best movie ever made, but it was my favorite movie when I was a kid, and I still get excited if I see that it's playing on FLIX, or PAX, or any other basic cable station (probably the only stations that air it...and even that's rare).

When I was little, I had a really active imagination, like occasionally-convince-myself-my-made-up-life-was-real active. I lived inside my head a lot, and I never really needed exterior stimuli to entertain myself, because I could do that pretty damned easily with all the characters, and creatures, and situations that I made up.

I think that what I saw in Legend was my own fantasies, or something very similar to them; and I liked that, in a movie, you could be anything you want, or create anything you want, and there were really no restrictions. You could transfer all the things that run around your head onto the screen. I guess I always knew this, I mean I *had* seen movies before, but this is the movie that really made it click for me. And not only that, but when it came to movies, it was like being able to climb into another person's head, and join in on their fantasy. Now I got that there were ways to make other people see it your way, maybe through movies, or art, or through writing, but there were ways.

At the time, I was really too young to understand WHY I loved Legend so much (the movie was released 1 year after I was born, and I didn't see it until a few years after its release date), or why I loved movies similar to it, but I think I can say now that what drew me to it in the first place is that it was so fantastical.
Good pick. I remember VCR taping the closing song to that movie.

Lethal Weapon directed by Richard Donner starring Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. I Still remember Grade 8 Buying and watching this film everyday for an entire month sometimes twice in a day.

Jurassic Park for me

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I was born in 1991 and other than Disney Movies like Bambi and The Lion King, I remember Wayne's World really sticking with me. I hardly ever got to watch it growing up but I always wanted to be like Wayne and Garth and it would be years later until I'd see Ghostbusters or Back To The Future so I'll stick with that.

I think it would have to be The Sound of Music. My dad bought it for me when I was 2 years old and I watched it so many times. And this may sound odd, but when I was about 5 my mum and dad had taped Escape from Sobibor off the TV, and I saw a glimpse of it, and my parents allowed me to watch it and for a long time I would watch it a lot, it was just a film I never forgot.
And then there was Rocky. My older brother and my dad would rent the Rocky movies all the time, and because I wanted to be included I would watch those movies with them, and yeah I have become majorly obsessed with those movies ever since

I always liked to watch movies, but I think for me it started with Dirty Dancing, that was my absolute all time favourite, at least I thought at that time, City of Angels was the movie that made me appreciate all the rest. It was romantic and sweet and then it made me cry...

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day was the first film I saw when I was 5 years and I instantly wanted be the Terminator.

No other film had that impact on me until Lord Of The Rings, which I was instantly in love with, especially the first one.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day was the first film I saw when I was 5 years and I instantly wanted be the Terminator.

No other film had that impact on me until Lord Of The Rings, which I was instantly in love with, especially the first one.
Erm... Not even Fight Club, TylerDurden99, with your Fight Club avatar?

What was the movie that made you love movies?
When I was 7 my parents took me to see Lawrence of Arabia. I was entranced and mesmerized. Been hooked on films ever since.