Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Eternity and a Day -

With this title, Angelopoulos finally shows some self-awareness over how long each of his films feels.

Session 9 -

I enjoyed this it was definitely a disappointment though, after reading the description i thought this would become a favourite but it didn't quite get there. Asylums whether abandoned or not have always been something i find creepy so this seemed like it had a lot of potential. My biggest problem was the acting some of it wasn't very good at all, i love Peter Mullan but i thought he was pretty terrible here. If he was better or someone else played the role i think i would have liked this a lot more. The thing i found the most interesting was easily the tapes, i loved the voices particularly Simon, what it turned out to be was pretty obvious but even though i wasn't crazy about the payoff i just liked following it. Some great atmosphere and i liked the increasing madness and paranoia among the workers but again think it was ruined a bit by some of the performances.

The Court Jester (1956)

From the top 100 laughs list but I didn't have high hopes. There's not many old comedies or movies set during medieval times that I like, and then I realized it has a musical element to it. It turned out ok; at the very least, it's amusing and has some great lines. I also learned that Angela Lansbury was not only young once, but hot too.

Hi,
thanks for starting this thread and giving opportunity to share movie experience.

The last movie I watched was Thithi, an award-winning Kannada movie of Indian language. The movie won award at many premiere international film festivals, including 68th Locarno International Film Festival, Marrakech International Film Festival, and Palm Springs International Film Festival.

Thithi is a European style movie, comprising full of natural elements. An awesome Indian language movie. You can read its review at allinonenews.net

Southbound - 2015
A horror anthology movie inspired by the likes of V/H/S, although it didn't give off many scares the movie itself felt quite original which is extremely hard to find in a horror movie these days. All of the stories are connected in minimal ways, this feels a little like an extra to tack on as it doesn't add much however it was still pretty damn good.

7.5/10

10 Cloverfield Lane:

It's well acted and well shot, but I really didn't care. I'm generally more of a character person, and this is a VERY plot-focused film. John Goodman is a 1 dimensional creepy guy, and the main girl has 0 dimensions to her. I know literally nothing about who she is or what she feels. You watch to see what happens next and to be surprised by the plot, but spoiler, the movie has Cloverfield in the title. If you know anything about Cloverfield, you basically know what's happening outside.

Captain America Civil War:

A solid Marvel movie, not as good as Winter Soldier but better than their recent ones. It's rather uneven. I would probably give the second act a 10, with the beginning and end getting 5s. Not even close to the best comic book movie of all time, but maybe the airport scene is the best comic book fight of all time. They went at it for 15 minutes, and unlike Avengers 2, I was never bored. They could have fought for longer. Black Panther and Spider-Man are good, but not outstanding. I like the Russo's Bourne-inspired action much more than the Thor/Hulk/Avengers CGI smashes.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Blackout

The vivid texture of a half-remembered dream - or a nightmare. Reality becomes distorted as memories and dreams become interwoven. One of the most unsettling films I've ever seen. Abel Ferrara's masterwork.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Horse Money
+

Kiss Me Deadly
-

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty

Colossal Youth
+

Care for some gopher?
Hangmen Also Die (Fritz Lang, 1943) -

Twentynine Palms (Bruno Dumont, 2003) -

Hellboy II (Guillermo del Toro, 2008) -

Tangled (Nathan Greno/Byron Howard, 2010) -
+

Boldly going.
Zootopia 6/10

The sloths were the funniest characters in the movie. I can imagine a spin-off, though I don't know how they'd work it. The rating should be PG, as there are some scenes which are pretty intense for young ones.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Welcome to the human race...
Primer -

When I first heard of this movie, I read that it would take three viewings to get. This marks the second, so if I extrapolate then this will most likely be top 100 material once I get to the third time.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

-

Slightly disappointing, but then I often seem to have trouble with movies that come from plays. It's worth watching for an angry young Paul Newman and a very attractive Elizabeth Taylor. Burl Ives, who I've loved in a couple of other 50's movies, was a bit too much.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

The only thing holding this movie back is unnecessary plot contrivance. There are a million ways to spark conflict between a street gang slash death cult and the police, one of the least organic being the ice cream truck murder used here. One could also argue against space age silenced weapons and the police station being in the middle of the city just 10 blocks away from another police station, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that serves as a commentary on urban decay and the incapabilities of the law. Perhaps the most egregious sin in the script is introducing a sewer tunnel which a character admits could be used to escape the situation entirely yet nobody thinks to do that.

I don't want it to sound like I hate this movie. I don't. Bar a few issues with the writing choices, this is a good time. I like the decision to keep the antagonists silent and ominous. I like that it took 40 minutes for the inevitable stand off to ensue. I like how reserved it is. I like when guns go pow pow. This is a movie you can set back and enjoy without putting too much thought into it.

It's such a simple and functional premise. People are inside of place. People outside want inside. It's been adopted time and time again. Only cinematic afterbirth like The Purge manages to butcher it. A film which also stars Ethan Hawke who was involved with the remake of Assault on Precinct 13 in 2006. Yet another remake I saw before the original. Time to revisit it.

http://boxd.it/9Kwnp