Universal loves ya! and thanks to all!

Tools    

Remember when I asked everyone to give me their suggestions for DVD sets and menu special features? Well, I got a letter from the DVD Division at Universal in regards to your ideas. Here it is, in part...some confidential stuff I had to cut. One of those I-could-tell-you-but-then-I'd-have-to-kill-you type things.

To: Laurie...
RE: DVD set and features suggestions.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the extremely excellent suggestions that you provided us at the last Digicon Exhibition. As you may have noticed, Universal has been committed to compiling and manufacturing DVD sets based on the criteria you presented. As a direct result, we have seen record sales and positive feedback from every corner of the country.

The special features ideas that you brought to our attention are currently being implemented on our product. You can look for more Outtakes, more Deleted Scenes, motion Biographies, more Music Videos, more advanced DVDRom content, and Isolated Soundtracks and Scores on all future Universal DVD releases.

I thought you and those fellow DVD fans at movieforums.com may be interested in knowing that the new Universal format of the Ultimate Edition for such films as Notting Hill, Patch Adams, Meet Joe Black, and American Pie were created from your suggestions and comments.

I look forward to extending our collaboration and hope to hear more from you in the future.

Sincerely,
John...
Universal DVD

Woo-Hoo!!! Pretty nice huh. Way to go everyone. Keep the ideas flowing.
[Edited by Laurie L on 07-31-2001]

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew...okay. I'm calm now (well, in comparison to a moment ago, at least). I can't believe the letter actually mentioned this site in particular! That's the coolest damn thing that could have possibly happened. If you get an opportunity to reply in some form, please pass along my special thanks for allowing this site to serve as a sounding board for such ideas.

We all love to vent here, but I think it's sickingly cool that our rantings and ravings on at least one subject (DVDs) can be heard, and perhaps even fixed! Thanks so much for this opportunity Laurie...you've just made my month.

You're welcome. I'm glad that everyone can know that the studios are really listening.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I have the ultimate edition of Patch Adams and the only thing i don't like is that the first disc is widescreen format...second disc is full screen format. Does anyone know the reason behind this?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I know, but some DVD's (GO, for example) give you the option on the menu right before you start the movie wether or not to watch Full Screen or Widescreen. I just thought if they were doing an Ultimate Edition one disc would be dedicated to Special Features and such.

Sorry to say that all the major studios recently took a survey and found that more people would rather have a movie in pan and scan than in letterbox. I think the main reason for this is because people don't understand what letterbox is. They see the matting black bands and automatically get upset because they feel they are missing something. I think every DVD should be encoded with the letterbox explanation that comes on the new Die Hard Box Set. Then people may understand and accept the difference.

Pan and scan? What's that? And yeah, I agree that letterbox is good -- It has it's problems (the movie looks so much smaller...that bugs me), but overall it's just the best way to go.

Lets put a smile on that block
Thats awse about the letter. I was thinking the other day that i wish we could get celebs to come on the board and say Hi. Surely cant be that hard can it?

Oh and OG, You had Mortal Kombat on DVD?....oh dear.

*sniggers*

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hehe, yah, it was actually the first DVD I ever bought. Well, technically one of the first because I bought Pitch Black and Mortal Kombat at the same time. Yeah. I have great taste.