8. Million Dollar Baby
7. 2046
6. Hotel Rwanda
5. Oldboy
4. Samaria
3. I ♥ Huckabees
2. Closer
1. Dogville

Honorable Mention: Haute Tension, Collateral, The Woodsman, Maria Full of Grace, The Incredibles, The Life Aquatic, Napoleon Dynamite, Kill Bill, Vol. 2, Sideways, Anchorman, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 3-Iron

Haven't Seen: A Very Long Engagement, Last Life In The Universe, Birth, Before Sunset, Cowards Bend The Knee, Gozu

Disappointments/Worst: Alexander, Garden State, House Of Flying Daggers, Hero, Shrek 2, Finding Neverland

I'm sure there are a few I've left off somewhere, but I'll not be bothered digging that deep into my memory right now.

And an addendum to my list...

...BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
1. 2046 (D.P.s Christopher Doyle, Kwan Pun Leung & Yiu-Fai Lai)
2. House of Flying Daggers (D.P. Xiaoding Zhao)
3. A Very Long Engagement (D.P. Bruno Delbonnel)
4. I'm Not Scared (D.P. Italo Petriccione)
5. Hero (D.P. Christopher Doyle)
6. The Aviator (D.P. Robert Richardson)
7. Collateral (D.P.s Dion Beebe & Paul Cameron)
8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (D.P. Ellen Kuras)
9. Birth (D.P. Harris Savides)
10. Bad Education (D.P. José Luis Alcaine)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Appy-polly-loggies
Originally Posted by Strummer521
50 first dates? really???
I think it was a really well thought out movie, I mean from a guys point of veiw, it was actually a good romantic Comedy

Originally Posted by linespalsy
I really want to see 2046. Was it given some limited U.S. release that I just totally missed out on or what?
I caught it on DVD. I don't think it ever played on a movie screen, not in this city anyway.

She's Was Mine! Mine! MINE!
for my top film it would have to be a toss up between SAW and AVP but i cant decide lol

Urgh...um, cool avatar.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Do you know my poetry?
Has anybody gotten the chance to see Godard's new picture Notre Musique, or was it not released in the US?

My top five list of 2004: [In order]

Million Dollar Baby
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Hotel Rwanda
The Aviator
Sideways

Here's Johnny!
collateral, shaun of the dead, the incredibles, team america....but i haven't seen enough good ones.......its not me its my friends!!!!

Here's Johnny!
but my friends are still cool

Here's Johnny!
oh and mean creek if that was 2004

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
13. I Heart Huckabees (David O. Russell)
I'm glad you liked it! Especially after you didn't think you were necessarily going to.

I've actually amended my list slightly since posting it here. Huckabees was my favourite film of the year and I've added Million Dollar Baby and the Australian television series "John Safran vs. God" to my list of runners-up.

ZombIe=LoVeR: Please take a care not to triple post anymore. You can edit your posts instead of doing that.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I'm glad you liked it! Especially after you didn't think you were necessarily going to.

SHANIA: Brad, do you realize when they destroy the woods, the average temperature
of the marsh will rise five degrees and the entire food chain will be degraded, starting
with the frogs? And I'm a vegetarian, I eat tofu tuna!

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised. I went in with totally lowered expectations, but frankly David O. Russell made a better Wes Anderson movie than Wes Anderson did this year. It won me over very quickly, and I wound up liking I ♥ Huckabees a Hell of a lot, and will be scooping it up on R1 DVD next week. It's definitely Russell's best work thus far. I'd rank 'em...

1. I ♥ Huckabees
2. Spanking the Monkey
3. Soldiers Pay
4. Flirting with Disaster
5. Three Kings

Holden, have you seen Ray and Vera Drake yet? If so, what did you think of them? I noticed they didn't make any of your lists.

I didn't get a chance to see Vera Drake, no, and I think Ray is crushingly average. It may as well have been a made-for-cable TV project. Comparing it to a great bio-pic like say Eastwood's Bird (about Jazz legend Charlie Parker), it doesn't even belong in the same discussion. And it's a shame Jamie Foxx is getting the Oscar this year, because Don Cheadle frippin' deserves it.

But then as was observed in Clint's Oscar-winning masterpiece Unforgiven, "Deserve's got nuthin' to do with it." Indeed.

My Top Ten of 2004:

1) Sideways (d Alexander Payne)
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (d Michael Gondry)
3) I ♥ Huckabees (d David O. Russel)
4) Hotel Rwanda (d Terry George)
5) Napoleon Dynamite (d Jared Hess)
6) Million Dollar Baby (d Clint Eastwood)
7) The Aviator (d Martin Scorsese)
8) Shaun of the Dead (d Edgar Wright)
9) Collateral (d Michael Mann)
10) Maria Full of Grace (d Josh Marston)

* Note - I have not seen Before Sunset, Closer, Dogville, 2046, or The Life Aquatic