The 170 Visual Pleasures of Pyro

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Lol @ Iro, it's the hand i use on the keyboard that's injured.
I have one word for you: dictation.

Just want to watch Repo Man, Seventh Seal, Breathless, Zabriskie Point, La Notte, Youth of the Beast, Sunset Blvd, Wings of Desire, The Thin Red Line and Rear Window- of the 50 odd yet-to-watch DVDs got piled up. Recently watched another flick that needs working into my list.
Agreed. Conisder Repo Man a priority as I like it a hell of a lot.

Lone Wolf and Cub

(Kenji Misumi + Buichi Saito + Yoshiyuki Kuroda, 1972-1974)

Ok, so previously i had In the Land of Demons as a single entry from this series but much like Used Future, i've decided to include all 6 this time. Admittedly, they are all very similar but each film is expertly crafted and so kick-ass the small variations each one spins make it's inclusion worthwhile as they all continue the the vengeance storyline. Very influential, and very under-seen with some great cinematography of fluid, bloody and ingenious swordfights.

Borat

(Larry Charles, 2006)

After the pretty dire Ali G film, i think it's fair to say expectations were low for this until trailers emerged. Who'd have thought it would turn out to be one of the funniest films of our time? Mixes of scripted narrative and candid sketches, it makes a sympathetic character out of Borat at the same time sending up Americans and culture.

Jaws

(Steven Speilberg, 1975)

It's hard to imagine a film making a child hesitant to go swimming but the genuine horror this film created did. And content aside, let's not forget how important it is in the history of film (be it good or bad) as the first blockbuster. A classic film at the end of New Hollywood and before pure commercial blockbusters, taking best of both.

Airplane

(Jim Abrahams + David Zucker, 1980)

Ridiculous amount of throw away gags and quotable lines, pure comedy.

TV SERIES

(Creators: Robert Cochran + Joel Surnow, 2001-present)

AKA The Jack Bauer Power Hour. The minute for minute day of Jack Bauer kicking terrorist ass, never needing the toilet with his nuclear battery mobile phone. It may have jumped the shark more times than most TV shows but still is completely watchable with nail biting tension between each episode and jaw dropping twists. I'd say Season 5 was the highlight so far, just because it incorporates everything we've come to know the show for.

The Spy Who Loved Me

(Lewis Gilbert, 1977)

The quintessential Bond. Every classic or iconic Bond element is present, from over the top henchmen, cars, patriotism, women to set pieces to set pieces.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

(Guy Ritchie, 1998)

Particularly cleverly constructed jigsaw film, with some brilliant performances from superficial but cool characters. A Lads Mag age London Gangster film with a well crafted edge and plenty of humour. Ritchie displays a flair with camera work to making it as visual as it is violent.

Dead Man / Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

(Jim Jarmusch, 1995 / 1999)

I'm a big fan of films that are extended allegories and full of metaphor with a message hidden for the viewer to find, and i think Dead Man is one of the best. Not to mention all the other great aspects to it. Ghost Dog is a hip re-imagining of almost every reference it makes- samurai, hitman, gangster etc complimented with a RZA soundtrack (said it was hip din i). I feel a bit guilty including Jarmusch's more accessible offerings, opposed to his minimalist isolation pieces but i find these two films to be particularly engaging and enjoyable without ever being pretentious.

The Business

(Nick Love, 2005)

I love Costa del Sol in Spain, I love the 80s, I love Danny Dyer films, I love Blondie songs. And this has it all, to be honest it could be the worst film ever but for including all my weak spots it makes it up here. It isn't the best film, it's the standard rags to riches tale- Frankie goes to Spain, lives the life then gets sucked into cocaine and loses it all. Obviously he gets it back and it ends with Frankie going to Hollywood. A brilliant recreation of the Costa del Sol in 80s with a great mood setting soundtrack and a charming film if you don't take it seriously.

Holy Mountain / Santa Sangre

(Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 / 1989)

This guy is flippin' cult legend. His films are some of the most bizarre and crazy films i've seen. Holy Mountain oozes surrealism, spiritualism, alchemy, astrology and all sorts as the thief meets the alchemist and seven others who aspire to immortality, each having representing a planet. As they ascend the titular mountain and meet the masters the camera tracks back to reveal the film apparatus- "real life awaits us". From paraplegic midgets to turning poo to gold, i can almost guarantee you'll never see a film like this. Santa Sangre is less avant-garde and more Bunuel surrealism. Plenty of stuff to take away from it, Oedipal mother-son relationships and of course the surreal images, considering the main character is in the circus there's a lot. Although it's more coherent, it still retains the dreamlike state of his other work.

Another reminder to see both Dead Man and Santa Sangre. Also, interested to see that you've ranked Holy Mountain relatively low compared to being in your profile top 10 not so long ago. No matter, chances are it'd be the same for me too.

In all seriousness, why was Vanilla sky "god-awful"?
It took away the ambiguity, going to painful lengths to explain everything. It's full of pointless references, Tom Cruise was clearly Oscar bait. I can't remember it that well but if i watched it again, i'd remember more.

Another reminder to see both Dead Man and Santa Sangre. Also, interested to see that you've ranked Holy Mountain relatively low compared to being in your profile top 10 not so long ago. No matter, chances are it'd be the same for me too.
Very observant, yeah it was in my top 10 there; had just watched it and put it straight in there because i was so blown away by it. Second watch has less of the shock and the narrative, or lack of it, does become a bit tedious when there's not the distraction of new surreal imagery.

Very observant, yeah it was in my top 10 there; had just watched it and put it straight in there because i was so blown away by it. Second watch has less of the shock and the narrative, or lack of it, does become a bit tedious when there's not the distraction of new surreal imagery.
That makes sense. I've only seen it once and still remember it being a "whoa" experience. If I ever get around to rewatching my collection, chances are I'll probably feel the same way as you do.

*SURPRISE* (give you a clue, it's a director's work but just got two more classic queued up to watch first)

Lawrence of Arabia

(David Lean, 1962)

Classic really, innit. Sure not much needs saying, it's an epic and sprawling movie wonderfully shot.

A Bittersweet Life

(Ji-woon Kim, 2005)

If Oldboy was turned into a videogame, i imagine it would resemble this. Now, that ain't doing the film much justice; it's got plenty of it's own value, the main character is much like Ghost Dog- following a code of honour. What i love though, is it combines the marvellous Korean cinematography with some amazingly choreographed action scenes that flow with grace and carnage.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

(Tetsuya Nomura, 2005)

Ah, now this is up for evocation of a much cherished memory and and it's own merit. Obviously, if you've played the videogame and loved and lived it like most, seeing you're favourite characters is a treat. Especially when it's got some insanely cool fights with some perfect scoring. Every time i see Sephiroth again i get all tingly

La Haine

(Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995)

About the polar opposite of the following film, it's a gritty black and white story of racial tension in the French banelieus with a powerful message at it's heart and a shocking Brechtian ending.

Amelie

(Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

The perfect film? Perhaps. Beautifully shot, touching performances, quirky humour and heart-warming story. This really should be seen by everyone as there's no faults to it.

The Princess Bride

(Rob Reiner, 1987)

Utterly delightful and constantly charming fairytale. To take an IMDB reviewers words: "whimsical, irreverent, pervasive tongue-in-cheek antics that make it an unqualified masterpiece."

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

(Tobe Hooper, 1974)

People seem to say this is bad, because it doesn't hold up to the standards set by today's horror films. They miss the point. It's about the sheer and constant terror inflicted upon the main girl by a disturbing family. I'm not that bothered about the allegories but i am all for Leatherface revving up that chainsaw in relentless terrorisation...

The Idiots

(Lars von Trier, 1998)

I think i said earlier Lars von Trier is one of the most exciting filmmakers around and this Dogme film is further testament. I've got Festen queued up so as it stands this is my only foray into the movement but it's a fantastically shocking and amusing film. The restrictions of their manifesto make it a difficult watch (read up about them if you will) formally as well the fact it's a typical von Trier film- no easy watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Is 53 by Antonioni? I'm one of the people who doesn't like 46 because I think it's completely boring and amateurish, but I liked it better last time (I think that was my fourth viewing) than when I watched it at the theatre some time in 1975.

Is 53 by Antonioni? I'm one of the people who doesn't like 46 because I think it's completely boring and amateurish, but I liked it better last time (I think that was my fourth viewing) than when I watched it at the theatre some time in 1975.
Lol no, not Antonioni, though have literally just finished Zabriskie Point. One of his films is coming up later on though.

TTCSM is probably one of the few films i love but can understand people not liking. The amatuerish aspect obviously, for one who likes it, enhances it with the completely raw and visceral tone it gives the film, the argument i'd use in defence is seeing the remake- if you have, does the polished MTV version work better for you? As for boring, probably where i enjoy seeing people get ****ed up more than you do

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No, I haven't bothered to watch the remake. One thing I'll give you about the people getting ****ed up though is that I couldn't stand the people in the van, so I had no problem with them getting greased. It's just how it was presented. I think it's about on the level of the original Last House on the Left in my book, and that was based on a Bergman film!

No, I haven't bothered to watch the remake. One thing I'll give you about the people getting ****ed up though is that I couldn't stand the people in the van, so I had no problem with them getting greased. It's just how it was presented. I think it's about on the level of the original Last House on the Left in my book, and that was based on a Bergman film!
Yeah, that's a very fair point. I just enjoy (not best word) the depravity of it all and the to-the-pointness of it, like when fella #1 gets cracked on the head, there's no messing around like most horrors- it's shocking and to the point.
Not seen Last House on the Left, surprised by Bergman link though!

Yes son, your list is getting better and better. You got off to a dodgy start, but there are some outstanding films there. And you've only just passed the half way mark. Very intrigued to see what's in store for the next half. I do think that Dead Man's Shoes could be a bit higher though, mate. That's powerful ****.

And i'm a bit embarrassed to say that i've not seen Amelie yet. Don't ask me why, I just haven't. But i've just brought it a few hours ago at HMV so i'ma sit and watch tonight. Hope it's as good as everybody says.

Flash Gordon IS cheese personified. But not even in a fun way, imo. Theres only so much cheese a lad can handle.

Good stuff though, son. And keep up the good work .

It took away the ambiguity, going to painful lengths to explain everything. It's full of pointless references, Tom Cruise was clearly Oscar bait. I can't remember it that well but if i watched it again, i'd remember more.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The most frustratiing thing about the film is it's potential to have been a brilliant slow burning character study. That approach would have been better, I think. Cameron Crowe let me down a bit there.

Anyone else noticed that the numbers start at 170 now?
You've not been paying attention, i already mentioned that lol . But hey, who said it has to be 100? I couldn't bring myself to make the list and miss out so many of my favourites

You've not been paying attention, i already mentioned that lol .
Probably not. My bad.

But hey, who said it has to be 100? I couldn't bring myself to make the list and miss out so many of my favourites
Well, that was random, seeing as I didn't bring it up.

Probably not. My bad.

Well, that was random, seeing as I didn't bring it up.
Yeah, i know you didn't. Just thought you were having a dig cuz of the length. My bad i guess